It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
(female)

walkingmedley HB User
post op parathyroid

Hi everyone,

My mom had parathyroid disease with the most recent calcium level of 12.5. She also had very high PTH levels. She suffered renal failure, for which she was hospitalized. She once again suffered renal failure 6 months later along with a stroke and was hospitalized once again where they ran all tests and scans and realized she had severe parathyroid disease and the sestamibi scan revealed a large tumor.

She was advised to have the tumor removed as soon as possible. We contacted her Dr. who scheduled her surgery quickly due to her severe condition and he performed surgery on her last Friday. The surgery was successful and the tumor is out. It took less than 20 minutes and she only has a tiny incision of about an inch!

Immediately after waking up from anesthesia, aside from a headache and pain at incision site, all her muscle and joint pain that she had been suffering from was gone! We were all thrilled. For 3 days she could finally move around without excruciating bone pain.
On the 4th day the pain came back... with a vengeance. It is now day 5 post op and she can barely move without horrible pain.
Dr. Ngave her calcium and Vit D pills which she is taking to "wake up" her remaining parathyroid glands and replace calcium lost in her bones. She is to have a calcium check in about 2 weeks I believe.

Now I am seeking advice from those who had parathryoid surgery. How long does it take for the pain to go away? Could this pain possibly be from hypocalcemia? I guess my hopes were high in thinking the pain would immediately go away, which it did at first, and it almost seemed too good to be true. I need advice on whats going on with her and how long until we see some improvement? I do realize it may take some time, especially with how severely her disease had progressed, I just want to hear it from other patients.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread