It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

pantherbyhabit HB User
hyperparathyroid dr. appt

I know that the cure for hyperparathyroidism is surgery. And, even though I have had several surgeries in the past (C-sections, knee, etc) the thought of surgery on my neck almost puts me into a panic attack. I am going to see an endocrinologist, Dr. Bybee, recommended by a nephrologist (I saw him because of all the kidney stones). However, when I google his name, nothing comes up regarding that particular type of surgery.

SO, my thoughts are what types of questions should I ask him other than the regular questions like:

How many of these have you performed?

What is recovery time?

What is post-operative care?

What type of procedure will you be doing?

Time involved for procedure?

success rate?

I'm hoping those of you who have already had the surgery can enlighten me and calm some of my anxiety. Thanks

Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
(female)

mslux HB User
Re: hyperparathyroid dr. appt

Hello-

Have you gotten a confirmed diagnosis of parathyroidism? I doubt that the endo would also be your surgeon. I was referred to an endo by my gp after calcium blood levels came back high. The endo ordered the tests that confirmed the parathyroid tumor-but a surgeon performed the surgery.

Hopefully the eno can recommend a surgeon who has done many of these, and once you see him, do ask all of your questions.

My surgery also included removing the right thyroid lobe which was on the same side as the tumor- and even with that and the removal of the tumor I was in the hospital less than 24 hrs and recovery was pretty swift and not especially painful-just be sure the surgeon has done a number of these because the parathyroid glands are very small and he has to be able to locate them all in order to properly remove the bad one. Good luck- its really worth it to have it done if that is what you have

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2011, 04:08 AM   #3
(female)

ande778 HB User

Hello, I also will be facing a surgery for hyperparathyroid

I have not been diagnosed by my endo dr yet so I cannot even tell you what he has discovered from my testing. I do not go back to him until the 9th of Jan. so you seem to be a step ahead of me. Please post what you find out from your new doctor. I will be watching and hoping for the best for you. I have posted for the first time on the Thyroid section of this message board with the thread title HOPEFUL.

Looking forward to seeing your new post.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-10-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
(female)

jules68111 HB User

I had a removal of a parathyroid tumour 6 years ago and I am pretty well It is relatively straightforward and not too painful, recovery is very quick, I went in as a day case, was home again by 3 pm!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

KYAnn HB User

I was recently diagnosed by my endocrinologist with primary hyperparathyroidism and will be referred for surgery. I am in Louisville KY and would like to have the surgery performed here if I can find a qualified surgeon.

I'm interested in hearing about anybody else's surgery experience and advice on having this surgery done. As a side note, I have had a sestimibi scan positive for one adenoma. I have been dealing with high calcium for 4 years along with many of the unpleasant side effects. I decided to see an endocrinologist on my own, although my PCP begrudgingly cooperated. That was Sept 2011. I've been going through blood work and vitamin D therapy until the endo gave the official diagnosis on May 1. (Around here surgeons want to see vitamin D levels normal to rule out that the HPT is secondary to low vitamin D.)

Last edited by Administrator; 05-08-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Reply Reply