It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

cmjones311 HB User
My cortisol seems...backwards

I had a slew of testing done last month because I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I have all major symptoms of hypothyroid (and it runs in my family), but those test results were normal. My two main symptoms are extreme fatigue (although I tend to have more energy at night and can't seem to fall asleep easily) and extreme insensitivity to cold.

When they ran my labs at 10am, my cortisol level was 6.4. That concerned my endo, so the next day, she sent me for the ACTH test, which turned out fine, supposedly. That test was done at 11:30am, and my cortisol level was 10.72.

She just ran more labs last week, and at 2pm, my cortisol was 14.24.

Now, I do understand that these tests were all on different days, but it seems to me that the possible reason for my extreme fatigue during the day and feeling better at night would be because my cortisol might be low in the morning and high at night, rising as the day progresses, instead of falling.

The nurse that called me basically said, "Your labs are fine, just come back and have them checked again in 6 months."

Am I just crazy?

Last edited by cmjones311; 12-14-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: My cortisol seems...backwards

hi, I have the same problem and my endo told me to have mine checked at 9 am and have it checked the same time everytime. Mine came back around 5.2 from what I remember and I'm VERY TIRED during the morning and afternoon and then have lots of energy at night and can't sleep. She has me on 5 mg of hydrocortisone in the am and 2.5 around 1 pm which seemed to work for about 3 weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread