It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
(female)

miamaslegi HB User
Why am I so hot all the time?

Hi everyone,
I have a question (the title of my post, actually) - I'm posting it here since I think it may have something to do with my hormones, but I apologize if it's in the wrong place. I'll give you all the whole, long, convoluted story and pray that someone has some suggestions for me!
I am a 30 year old woman. About a year and a half ago, I started sweating (It was June of 2010, I believe). I didn't really think much about it, as I live in southern Arkansas where 100 degrees F (often higher) for 12 hours a day, 3-4 months straight, is the usual order of things. As the weather got cooler, though, I noticed that I was still hot and sweating constantly from my hands, feet, underarms, and to a lesser extent, everywhere else on my body - my hands and feet are always "pruney." Right now, it's about 30 degrees outside, I haven't turned my furnace on yet this year, I am in a T-shirt and shorts, my windows are wide open, and I am burning up and pouring with sweat. It never really slacks off - I'm almost never comfortable.
A few other things came about around the same time as the sweating/hotness: I started having my period regularly for the first time ever - I started to menstruate at age 9 and never had more than 1-2 periods a year, sometimes a couple of years with none, until recently, but now it's like clockwork every month. My heart beats very rapidly now - it's around 100 bpm when I am resting (but my blood pressure is always normal to slightly low). I have sprouted a luxurious goatee - not just a few straggly hairs - my nephew has asked me why I have a beard like his daddy does. It is worse because I naturally have pale skin and jet black body hair. Hair has also become more plentiful, coarser, and thicker all over the rest of my body - hands, arms, feet, stomach, breasts, rear, everywhere. I feel constantly shaky/trembly. I am naturally a very happy, laid-back sort of person and don't really ever worry much, but I feel physically nervous, that's the best way I can describe it - like my whole body is always vibrating and shaking. I have gained a good deal of weight from when this started until now - I'm 5'3" and weighed around 130 lbs, but now I'm around 180 without much change in eating habits - when all this started, I was still at my normal weight. Lastly, my skin has changed a great deal. It has always been very, very oily but not sensitive, fairly smooth, not too prone to break outs. Now, my skin is still incredibly oily, but with flaky, scaly patches under the grease, it is extremely sensitive, the texture has coarsened considerably (huge gaping pores and just generally very lumpy and bumpy), and I break out a lot. The break outs aren't too bad on my face (I just have blackheads in seemingly every pore), but my shoulders, rear end, and even forearms are always covered in large pimples that take a long time to heal.
I feel worst in the mornings. When I wake up, my heart is beating almost normally, I am not sweaty, and I'm only mildly hot, but when I come fully awake, especially when I get out of bed, I immediately become very hot, start pouring sweat, and my heartbeat soars and stays high all day.
Needless to say, all of this is very disconcerting and some of it is embarrassing - hairiness, skin problems, sweating.
I went to my doctor (a new doc - I hadn't seen a doctor at all in several years) and explained about the sweating, hotness, heartbeat, and trembling (I didn't really think the other things had much to do with it). He tested my thyroid function and said everything was right in the middle of normal range. He also had me do a 24 hour urine test to check for a rare tumor called a pheochromocytoma - nothing there either. He then gave me a prescription for Drysol. I used it faithfully on my underarms, hands, and feet. It did absolutely nothing to check the sweating, but it did make my skin crack open and bleed. He seems fixated on the sweating aspect of things, and tells me that I will never know why I sweat so much - that it just started for no reason, with no cause. Now, all he will talk about is having surgery to sever the nerves so I won't sweat anymore (I forget what the surgery is called).
I very much do NOT want to have the surgery - and the sweating isn't the only thing that is bothering me; everything else does, too!
Quite a few years ago, I saw a doctor (one time only) because I almost never had a period. I asked her what could cause it, and she checked my hormone levels. The only thing that I specifically remember that she said was, "You didn't have enough estrogen in your blood to show up on the test." She then tried to convince me to start taking birth control pills - I refused, and that was that.
Could a change in my hormones be the cause of all this? I'm wondering if I should even ask my doctor to check my hormones because he is pushing this surgery so hard - I wonder if he'll even listen? I would like to know, though, if this is because of hormonal weirdness as I will be married soon and will probably want to start a family eventually. I am very much for homeopathic medicine rather than allopathic medicine, but there is nothing in my area except "good ol' boy" doctors pushing conventional treatments for everything - the nearest natural medicine practitioner of any sort whatsoever is a 4 hour drive from where I live. I definitely do not want to take any drugs unless there is no other alternative - the only thing I ever take is valerian occasionally to help with sleep. For what it's worth, I follow a Nourishing Traditions/Weston A. Price type diet (though I haven't for very long) and try to limit my exposure to all sorts of toxins as much as I possibly can while still continuing to live on this planet.
I thank everyone who has actually made it all the way through my post! If anyone can point me in the direction of any books, websites, anything that could help me out, I would be extremely appreciative!
Thank you all so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
(female)

joy9437 HB User
Re: Why am I so hot all the time?

I am new to this site and I just read your post. Have you found anything that works yet? I noticed you posted 4 or 5 months ago. Hope you have gotten some relief. I suffer from being eternally hot too, but you have so many complications. Let me know how you are coping.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
(female)

kake HB User
Lightbulb Re: Why am I so hot all the time?

Hi there. I am new to this site but wanted to reply as i can empathize. I have Cushings Disease and am constantly sweating in addition to all of the symptoms you listed. I have had a Pituitary tumor removed x2, in 2000 and in 2011. I had a hysterectomy when i was 26, (1989), so i do not have any estrogen and am not on HRT.

Basically I wanted to suggest that you see an Endocrinologist so they can do the appropriate testing before you have any procedures done. Your symptoms are so similiar to many of mine that i would recommend you have your cortisol and ACTH levels checked, BY THE endoncrinologist as they know what to order and how to interpret the tests.

Good Luck to you!!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
(female)

cpcats HB User
Re: Why am I so hot all the time?

If you have not done so already, please see an endocrinologist. Your case sounds like a classic example of Cushing's Syndrome.

Reply Reply