It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
(female)

texastoast HB User
help - 24 yr. old daughter, poss. Cushings

Hi everyone. I have been on the thyroid boards for a while due to my 24 yr. old daughter's problems. She does have thyroid issues, however, she was recently diagnosed with Cushings syndrome "caused" by taking 60 mg. a day of prednisone, for 3 months, prescribed by a dermatologist. This was for severe cystic acne. However, her acne got *worse rather than better. Then, her face puffed up with the classic "moon face" shape, her neck got huge, she gained 40 lbs. in about 6 months, and she has the classic "back neck hump" which is characteristic of Cushings. So, basically the endo. told her that the dermatologist never should have prescribed so much prednisone for so long, and that it had caused Cushings. You can imagine how upset we all are. And on top of everything, her face is just as red, and full of bright raw acne as it ever has been.

The endo. said not to go back to the dermatologist, and is weaning her slowly off the prednisone. However, she doesn't go back to the endo. for one more month, because the endo. didn't even want to test her thyroid until she was off the prednisone.

This is all such a mess (and caused by a doctor). Has anyone ever heard of Cushings caused by excessive prednisone use? And if so, did the person ever recover when off the prednisone? Also, has anyonehad horrible acne which was made worse by long term prednisone use (which I've heard can happen.)

The poor girl was trying to keep a job, leaving the house looking horrible, even with makeup, and now finally has quit and will return to grad school. Our whole family feels terribly angry due to the dermatologist's mistreatment of her but all we can do now is start anew with the new endo. and later, a new dermatologist.

Our daughter basically went from 155 lbs and with clear skin one year ago, to 195 pounds and a face covered with raw, cystic acne by the fall of this year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
(male)

Claemio HB User
Re: help - 24 yr. old daughter, poss. Cushings

Hi, I see no one responded to your post and was curious as to if anything else happened.

I believe I could possibly have cushing's and I was on doses of prednisone higher than 60 (can't remember for sure the amount...I'm thinking 80) for a year. I lost weight after I came off prednisone and worked really hard at the gym, however when I slowed down a tad on my working out my weight came back.....even with my very healthy diet. I am thinking it is possible being on as high as I was for a year possibly damaged my adrenals some how.

Reply Reply