It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
(male)

Claemio HB User
Hypothyroid Symptoms---having a hard time finding a good doctor

Hi Everyone, I discovered this message board while doing some good searches regarding hypothyroidism. I've had some "interesting" medical issues in the past and always found message boards to be quite helpful and supportive so I wanted to post some about myself and see if anyone had any thoughts/advice. Thanks for reading the entire post as it may be long.

I am a 27 year old male.

When I was 12, I had a disorder called pseudotumor cerebri that went undiagnosed for a couple of months. Severe headaches, vision problems, etc. Finally found a neurologist that knew what he was doing, he did a spinal tap and my cerebrual fluid pressure was more than twice the normal and he said I probably should of had a stroke with it that high. Since then, I have horrible memory issues and can't remember anything that happened before I was 12.

When I was 19, my platelette count crashed unexpectedly and I was diagnosed with ITP. I was put on Prednisone for a year in high doses but when I would come off, my platelette's would drop so I had my spleen out.

I've always been a little on the heavier side (by that I mean 20-30 pounds overweight) but am big boned as well. A couple years ago, after struggling to lose weight, I decided it was time to go all out since I wasn't happy with myself. I am 5'9" and was 220lbs. I had never been to the gym and started going. I lost 60 pounds and gained a good amount of muscle. I was very happy how I looked....I had to do cardio 5-6 days a week, an hour a session, just to get there though. I also started eating a healthier diet (cut out a lot of fast food, limited sodas, ate more fruits and veggies).

Now to the current issue: About a year and a half ago, I started dating someone and my free time went down. My working out got cut down to 3-4 times a week (still an hour each time of cardio and weights), my diet stayed the same (actually, got better) and I started gaining weight...and quite quickly. Over the course of 8 months I gained 40 pounds. I upped my exercising and kept my diet the same and no changes have happened.

I am always really tired (have been for years), constipated a lot, can't think clearly, mood issues, and most of the other hypothyroid symptoms. My body temperature is also pretty low (96.3 when I woke up this morning and 97.5 in the middle of the day after working out). I also have high cholesterol and triglycerides.

I went to a new primary doctor 6 months ago to get tested for thyroid and then a month later to an endocrinologist for hopefully a better opinion. Also, my old primary care doctor and only ever done a TSH once and that was 8 years old. The new primary care doctor told me I need to eat less and wanted to put me on Statins which I did not like. The endo told me they just don't understand enough about metabolic issues and that I just had to work harder than most people. The endo tested me for a lot of other hormones and everything was normal. He didn't test for ACTH.

Lab Results:
8 years ago: TSH 3.7 (normal went up to 6)
1 year ago: Total Cholesterol: 210
HDL: 43
LDL: 128
Triglycerides: 195
6 months ago: TSH 2.07 (normal .4-3.0)
Free T4 0.85 (normal .58-1.64)
Total T3 128 (normal 87-178)
Total Cholesterol:273
HDL: 51
LDL: 178
Triglycerides: 190
5 months ago: TSH 2.71 (normal .450-4.5)
Free T4 1.08 (normal .82-1.77)
Total T3 127 (normal 71-180)
Total Cholesterol:245
HDL: 44
LDL: 160
Triglycerides: 207

Part of me wonders if all the intercranial pressure as a kid possibly damaged my pituitary or hypothalamus? Cushing's also came up as a possibility? I am going to a new doctor tomorrow to get tested and am going to ask for the Free T3 test this time.

Thanks again for reading this and any information would be very helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread