It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
(female)

Trinity12 HB UserTrinity12 HB User
Parathyroid history

In my early 20s I had to have several kidney stone surgeries. On the left side a large stone was blocking my ureter so they had to do internal lithotripsy and removed the stone fragments. On the right side they did external lithotripsy. Later on(I'm not sure when) I was still having constant pain on the right side so I had another surgery to remove a stone fragment.

I have osteopenia because of calcium depletion in my bones. I really do need to have another bone density scan to see if my bones have built back up.

Later on in my 20s I went to the doctor because of constant fatigue. Because of my history of kidney stones he tested my parathyroid level which was 165! My calcium was also very high. I was referred to an endocrinologist and had the sestamibi scan which lit up on top left side. I had my first surgery with a very small incision. My calcium levels and parathyroid levels didn't do down after surgery.

My calcium level went up to 12. Another sestamibi scan showed that it was again lighting up on the left hand side. My second surgery was also an exploratory surgery where all of my parathyroid glands were looked at. Apparently the first surgeon had left part of the first gland intact. The rest of the top gland as well as the entire bottom left gland were removed. I was in the hospital for almost a week after the second surgery because it took them a while to get my electrolytes balanced.

For the past year and a half(I'm 34 now) my parathyroid levels have been going up along with my calcium levels. There have been sometimes where my calcium levels have been normal but usually they are high normal.(just on the borderline) My endocrinologist has told me that all four of my parathyroids were enlarged. She keeps checking my other endocrine glands in case I have MEN(Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia) in which all four parathyroids are enlarged. Also other endocrine glands can develop tumors. I am on synthroid for hypothyroidism. I'm worried that because my calcium has been going up again that I will require a third surgery in which the remaining parathyroid gland would be implanted in my forearm. Right now I am just going to be monitored. It's hard to get in to see my endocrinologist but I want to talk to her about the test results. Also I have been experiencing bone pain, stomach issues, problems sleeping, brain fog and am always tired.

Sorry for writing a book but I just wanted to share my history and receive input. I have read others who are going in for a 3rd surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply