It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

Bamagirl6 HB User
Confusing Hyperparathyroidism Lab Results - Help!

My husband went to our family doctor for acid reflux. They ran blood test and discovered his calcium was high, he is 35. We then went to see an Endo who did a comp. metabolic panel, a dexa scan (which shows he has ostopenia), and a 24-hour urine. Here are his results - (the PTH was ran again last week, it is the one we are confused about what this is). We have looked on parathyroid.com and it is a wonderful site, but his ranges are crazy off the charts for his Urine and Testosterone levels. He has all the symptoms for hyperparathyroidism, and the high calcium levels and the dexa scan, all indicate that. Just not sure if it could be something else - would like to see a site where you could input your lab results to get a 'theory' of what it is. He is very sick, tired, heart palpitations where he feels like he is have a heart attack, kidney stones and hair loss.

24-hour Urine:
Calcium Urine - 318.6 (High)
Uric Acid - 963.0 (High)

Comp. Metabolic Panel:
Calcium Serum - 10.4 (High)
Protein, Total Serum - 8.8 (High)
Testosterone, Free and Total, Serum - 180 (Low)
Free Testosterone (Direct) - 7.4 (Low)
Vitamin D - 25-Hydroxy - 19.9 (Low)
PTH Intact - 19 (Normal ranges are from 10-65) we are waiting on the second one.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
(female)

caboret HB User
Re: Confusing Hyperparathyroidism Lab Results - Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl6 View Post
My husband went to our family doctor for acid reflux. They ran blood test and discovered his calcium was high, he is 35. We then went to see an Endo who did a comp. metabolic panel, a dexa scan (which shows he has ostopenia), and a 24-hour urine. Here are his results - (the PTH was ran again last week, it is the one we are confused about what this is). We have looked on parathyroid.com and it is a wonderful site, but his ranges are crazy off the charts for his Urine and Testosterone levels. He has all the symptoms for hyperparathyroidism, and the high calcium levels and the dexa scan, all indicate that. Just not sure if it could be something else - would like to see a site where you could input your lab results to get a 'theory' of what it is. He is very sick, tired, heart palpitations where he feels like he is have a heart attack, kidney stones and hair loss.

24-hour Urine:
Calcium Urine - 318.6 (High)
Uric Acid - 963.0 (High)

Comp. Metabolic Panel:
Calcium Serum - 10.4 (High)
Protein, Total Serum - 8.8 (High)
Testosterone, Free and Total, Serum - 180 (Low)
Free Testosterone (Direct) - 7.4 (Low)
Vitamin D - 25-Hydroxy - 19.9 (Low)
PTH Intact - 19 (Normal ranges are from 10-65) we are waiting on the second one.
Response from the forum newbie,

Bamagirl6, I don't know alot about some of those tests, but that PTH really sounds low for a hyperparathyroid result. However, all people with HPPT (right abbreviation?) has calcium and PTH hormones that fluctuate, some of them like a yo-yo out of control. The vit. D was low (check) calcium serum level (high but not that high, not that that counts). The uric acid you said is high, 963, how is that measured? I'm just now learnig the different ways these reports can read but mine comes back in mg/dL.

On the testosterone, are you referencing a DHEA level? And as I understand it, calcium urine results can be wrong up to 50% of the time, but don't quote me on that. Could it be possible he has 2 (more?) things going on at the same time?

There are also some meds that will drive up calcium levels, but in spite of all the hoop-la on that, it doesn't happen too often.

Thinking out loud here, steroids can offset calcium level results, just wondering. He certainly has the symptoms HPPT.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, caboret

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply