It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
(female)

roisindubh HB User
Question Hyperparathyroidism and PCOS link?

Hi there:

I'm 25, recently diagnosed with hypercalcemia, and then Primary Hyperparathyroidism--currently trying to find an experienced surgeon for that.

My PCP and endocrinologist also have suspected that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, although I've lost 75lbs and thus "self-treated" the situation. When the endo tested my hormone levels, she said my testosterone was slightly elevated, but otherwise did not indicate PCOS. From what I understand, losing weight as I have tends to regulate the situation, meaning that could cause test results to come back "normal."
However, I have the majority of symptoms of those who are afflicted with it, including irregular periods, thinning hair, hair growth in places not natural to women (particularly sides of the face, neck, stomach), acne, and trouble losing and maintaining weight loss.

I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of a link between hyperparathyroidism and PCOS. They are of course both hormonal issues, and so I'm curious to see if there's any connection, and what it may indicate if there is such a connection.

Thanks much for any input.

The Following User Says Thank You to roisindubh For This Useful Post:
KelmomPDL (08-01-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
(female)

KelmomPDL HB User
Re: Hyperparathyroidism and PCOS link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roisindubh View Post
Hi there:

I'm 25, recently diagnosed with hypercalcemia, and then Primary Hyperparathyroidism--currently trying to find an experienced surgeon for that.

My PCP and endocrinologist also have suspected that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, although I've lost 75lbs and thus "self-treated" the situation. When the endo tested my hormone levels, she said my testosterone was slightly elevated, but otherwise did not indicate PCOS. From what I understand, losing weight as I have tends to regulate the situation, meaning that could cause test results to come back "normal."
However, I have the majority of symptoms of those who are afflicted with it, including irregular periods, thinning hair, hair growth in places not natural to women (particularly sides of the face, neck, stomach), acne, and trouble losing and maintaining weight loss.

I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of a link between hyperparathyroidism and PCOS. They are of course both hormonal issues, and so I'm curious to see if there's any connection, and what it may indicate if there is such a connection.

Thanks much for any input.

I have researched and found this article: "Serum parathyroid hormone concentrations are increased in women with polycystic ovary syndrome". Serum Parathyroid is found in Hyperparathyroidism.

My daughter is 27 and struggling with finding a doctor to treat her - I feel like we have to find our own diagnosis and then convince a doctor to treat the diagnosis we've given her. So Frustrating !!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply