It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

MS22 HB UserMS22 HB UserMS22 HB UserMS22 HB User
My Significant Other's experience with HPT and Surgery

For starters, she had several symptoms for years. It started out with dizziness for which no cause could be found (ears-no, MRI-normal), but constant dizziness. Then came the constant bruising whenever she would bump into anything. She was, and is again, an athlete, but kept getting hurt. Had frozen shoulder on both sides within two years, her hips were always hurting (wrongly diagnosed as piriformis syndrom). She then tore a part of the cartilage in her hip. This all happened over the course of about 3 years...same orthopedist, same primary care doctor, nobody picked up on it. Next, she started having neurological symptoms: Buzzing in her left knee, tripping over her left foot, problems seeing (blurry vision-dry eyes). She had many episodes of bursitis in her elbows, she was only 48 and in very good shape. She became very forgetful, couldn't remember what I said to her for 2 seconds. By this time her primary care doctor had been following her calcium level for 3 years and finally decided they were high enough 11.2, to order the frozen test, and 24 hour urine. Came back PHT. The endocrinologist wanted to wait. Her vitamin D level was 12-that is not a typo. She waited a full year until she stared getting lost while driving (I know these problems as I have multiple sclerosis and have them myself), she would often get disoriented, she could not sleep, but would fall asleep during the middle of the day at the drop of a hat and had overwhelming exhaustion at times. We finally pushed her endocrinologist to do an ultrasound. He saw the tumor and said "it has to come out'. It was the size of a large lima bean. After the surgery, the leg cramps, restless legs, etc have slowly subsided, but it has taken 2 years. The hardest part was the regulation of calcium, it was all over the place after surgery. She had major tingling problems that lasted over 1 year despite normal calcium levels. They told her it was because her body was so used to having a calcium level above 12 that anything around 9 freaked it out. I am happy to report that she has had not tingling for the last 3 months, just when she lifts heavy objects. She has steadily gained more energy-this takes time depending on how long you had the disease to start with. Her memory is coming back little by little. She still has trouble sometimes with incidental memory like thinking of words, but even that has vastly improved over the past few months. My advice is to press to get the tumor out ASAP-a wait and see will only cause damage to your nerves and bones. Her most recent bone scan did show improved bone density so that was good-she opted out of Fosamax and the like. She no longer takes calcium suppliments, just eats food rich in CA. It is a sneaky disease but one that can be taken care of early if you get the right care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply