It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

JS43 HB User
Low PTH, High calcium?

I have been getting either high normal or high calcium levels in the last six months of testing. They tested the Ionized Calcium & PTH last time and I saw the results - the PTH was 5 (normal I think was over 15) and the Ionized Calcium was high, although just high. My doctor left a message on my patient messaging system that my PTH was normal and the calcium was normal.

I don't think she must be very worried about it, so I'm wondering if I should try to pursue with an endocrinologist or just forget it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
(female)

day1234 HB User
Re: Low PTH, High calcium?

I am not a Dr but since I have also had high calcium results in my last 2 tests I have done a lot of reading and the one thing I keep reading is the high calcium is never normal. Even if your high calcium isn't a result of an overactive parathyroid gland it seems that there is still something off since your other calcium tests came back high.
If it were me personally I would look for a different endo if this one isn't going to look more into it. This is no offense to Drs but just because they have those initials does not mean that they are good enough at their job. If other Endos have the same response then maybe I would consider pushing to the back of my head for a bit But continue the have my calcium watched and also watch for any changes in your body. However, it would take several Endos to tell me the same thing before I started believing it. You know your body and how you feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
(female)

pooh68dl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JShuler43 View Post
I have been getting either high normal or high calcium levels in the last six months of testing. They tested the Ionized Calcium & PTH last time and I saw the results - the PTH was 5 (normal I think was over 15) and the Ionized Calcium was high, although just high. My doctor left a message on my patient messaging system that my PTH was normal and the calcium was normal.

I don't think she must be very worried about it, so I'm wondering if I should try to pursue with an endocrinologist or just forget it.
From what I am going through, if you feel there something to worry about have another dr. Check it...I have been going through this fight for 2 years. My calcuim levels stay between 15.6 and 17.4. I know it really high. I have been tested so many times. I have been tested for Parathyroid and its normal the scans came back clear...but on my thyroid there are cyst and my body hurts most the time..but no one can find out or tell me what's wrong. Thyroid proplems run in my family, but it don't seem to matter....but if you feel you have a reason to think something is wrong get rechecked...I am going to dr tomorrow to demand that she finds out what is causing my high calcuim...I'm tried of living in pain.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
(male)

rham12 HB User

I have high calcium and low PTH and i have sarcoidosis, have them check you for it

Reply Reply