It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
(female)

Nanafief HB User
Unhappy Nervously waiting on Diagnoses

I went to Endo Dr on Friday to have US & Biopsy of my thyroid. US revealed a lot of calcification on right side & blood present, left side not as bad.
Both nodules are more than 1 cm so that was concern to do biopsy. I have a history of thyroid problems in family but no Cancer..
I am very nervous awaiting my results as I fear the worse because of the Dr asking if there is CA in the family.
My stomach has been in knots all this week & hoping I get a letter instead of a phone call.
Please if anyone has had similiar situation I would like to hear from you.
I have been making myself crazy searching the internet for my symptoms.
I found last evening that 60% that have calcification are malignant.
I have never prayed so hard as I have since Friday!!!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
(female)

day1234 HB User
Re: Nervously waiting on Diagnoses

I am sorry for your situation. Several years ago I had a lump in my breast which was removed and I biopsy had to be done. I was scared but from experience I know that keeping a positive outlook is important. No one knew except my husband as I didn't want to worry my other family but I made sure that he helped to keep me busy. He would listen to my worry but would also change the subject to get me thinking about something else. This sounds a little cold but in these situations (while you are waiting) there is nothing a person can do but wait for the results. Worrying will not help the situation or make the outcome any different. This thinking also helped me push everything out of my mind. Obviously it is easier said than done. However, I have seen on two different occasions how keeping a positive outlook and staying strong can help the body. My father had stage 4 malignant melanoma and survived because of the chemo radiation, and he refused to let it beat him. My husband has a terminal lung disease and the Drs told him in 2004 that he had 5 yrs to live.... he has more than survived.... he is living a great life (although still sick).
All I can say is to try to find other things to do to occupy your time. Stay positive and know that you will get through it.
I truly wish you the best!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
(female)

gailjen HB User
Re: Nervously waiting on Diagnoses

I have two nodules in my right thyroid lobe. One nodule is 2.3x1.6x2.0 cm and has calcification, the other nodule is 2.2x2.0x2.0 cm. Both nodules are described as complex, and partially solid and cystic (more than 50% solid in both nodules).

I had my first biopsy done in 2007 because like your nodules, they were greater than 1cm. I remember being terrified of malignancy, and the Dr. telling me if I had to have cancer that thyroid cancer is the one I'd want to have. That it is generally very slow growing, and treatable. It didn't do much to curb my fear, because anything regarding cancer is scary to me.

Anyway, the biopsy came back that the nodules were benign. Whew! They recommended we do an annual ultra sound to monitor for any changes.

The next year I went in to do this, and they had grown! Now I was scared again and they had to repeat the biopsy. UGH! But again, it came back benign.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to be too scared. Most of the times these do come back benign. Mine has calcification and after five years and two biopsies it has not turned into cancer.

I hope that helps. Best of luck to you.

Reply Reply

Tags
thyroid biopsy