It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
(female)

Desertmama HB User
Endo appt. today :(

Hello!

I am new to this part of the board.

I recently found out that I have elevated Calcium blood levels (currently 11.1), PTH is 80 and last time we checked my Vit D is 15 (currently taking 50,000 units once per week).

Today I see an Endo for the first time. From what I have read, these labs indicate Primary Hyperparathyroidism and the fix is to remove the parathyroid gland that is not working right or remove a tumor.

I work full time at a call center and really cannot afford to not work. I really hope and pray that I just need a parathyroid gland removed and it can be done quick and somewhat painlessly. As of now I feel very run down, have anxiety, depression, feel like I have the flu, nausea, headaches.. generally feel bad most of the time. I always ration my energy. I come home from work and go straight to my bed and rest.

I am married and have three kids. The two that live at home are 18 and 12. We are a busy family and there's always something going on. I have to say "no" to a lot of things, then my husband picks up the slack where he can with other things. I feel like I am missing out and feel guilty because I cannot be the mom or wife that I want to be.

I really hope and pray that I get good news today when going to the Endo. I am going to tell him how this is affecting my life and the I need a solution Now!! I am tired of Dr's not believing how bad I feel and writing off my symptoms. Now that I have proof that I am sick.. I need a cure!!!

Any additional advice on what to say or watch for at the Endo would be much appreciated!

Also, who has taken time off of work for surgery/recover for hyperparathyroidism? I wonder how much time is allowed through Sedgwick (my company's disability insurance claims provider). I talk on the phone for a living and want to make sure that I don't get fired if the claims co. says one week and I'm out of a voice or sick for 2-3 weeks.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info and moral support!

Back from Endo appt. Apparently I am not sick enough to have surgery although the Dr. agreed that I have at least one parathyroid gland that is not working right.

He had a Dexa scan done and my bones are not affected yet. This is why he wants to wait.

I just feel like he doesn't care that I am sick and miserable and barely able to work.

I'm not sure what to do now besides try to do my job while being very sick.

Last edited by Desertmama; 11-07-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Add info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Endo appt. today :(

hi so sorry this is happening to you. I have hypothyroidism (underactive) so I know what you mean about feeling run down, no energy, etc. I was wondering did the dr. put you on any medication? Cathy

Last edited by noevr; 11-07-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
(female)

Desertmama HB User

I have had Hashimotos since 2005 and take Synthroid. He said my Thyroid is fine, it's the parathyroid glands that are not functioning properly.

I know they sound like they are both thyroid but parathyroid has nothing to do with the Thyroid.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

so basically you are at a watch and wait game at this point? there are a few meds out there from what I read but you may not need them at this point. If you feel that bad I'd get a 2nd opinion and take those results with you, I know its hard but the holidays are coming, things are gonna get busier, you know the deal. just a thought. (((HUGS)))) Cathy

Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
(female)

Desertmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no34evr View Post
so basically you are at a watch and wait game at this point? there are a few meds out there from what I read but you may not need them at this point. If you feel that bad I'd get a 2nd opinion and take those results with you, I know its hard but the holidays are coming, things are gonna get busier, you know the deal. just a thought. (((HUGS)))) Cathy
Thanks Cathy! You must have spoken to my husband, he said the same thing about a second opinion.

I'll check around for another Endo in Phoenix area.

Reply Reply

Tags
high calcium, parathyroid problems