It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endocrine Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

gnnir HB User
Question Recent onset heavy sweating - thoughts?

Hi,

I have been having a serious HIV scare, and one of the most obvious and troubling symptoms I have been experiencing and continue to experience is a dramatic increase in sweating.

Assuming it is NOT HIV-related (that's dealt with on another thread), for the past eight weeks or so, I have been sweating easily and quite profusely while doing minimal exercise, have heat intolerance, and sweat (head, face, neck, armpits) whenever I eat food (not necessarily hot food) and hot drinks.

If I am already warm, and go into a cool or air-conditioned room, I get a cold sweat.

During the recent hot spell in the UK, where others seemed to sweat only if they were sunbathing, I would sweat in the shade!

I have also a number of night sweats, again from the arm-pits and chest upwards.

My GP has run a number of blood tests, and these are normal.

My body temperature also tends to be normal, ranging about 36c in the morning to 37.2c in the evening, depending on the time of day.

Besides stress and anxiety, any ideas folks?

Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Possibly hyperhydrosis my wife has and without med she will sweat a lot all the time she is sensitive to warm to hot food and drinks also

Alcohol .any changes in you diet ? Could also be something effecting your thyroid just some thoughts nicotine withdrawal ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch1one For This Useful Post:
gnnir (08-23-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

gnnir HB User
Re: Recent onset heavy sweating - thoughts?

Hi. I don't smoke and don't drink that much - but I did have one beer last night.

Overnight, I have woken-up three time sweating heavily and with the bed clothes beneath me soaked.

This is the worst night-sweat (3 of them actually) I have endured.

Thyroid function is fine, apparently.

:-(

Old 08-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
My fatherin law my wife's dad was also a heavy and I mean heavy sweater any chance it's genetic? Any other family members ? How about medications or supplements?

Old 08-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

gnnir HB User

No genetics that I am aware of.

While I have always sweated a lot when I do exercise or in very hot weather, never before do I remember sweating like this, especially not night sweats (except on the rare occasion where I forgot to turn-off the electric blanket in winter).

No medication that I have not taken before.

Could severe and sustained underlying stress and anxiety cause this? Or other relatively benign causes? (I do hope so, given my other concern that can be a culprit ....)

Any other excessive sweaters out there with any ideas?

Old 08-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Stress is among the more widespread causes of night sweats in men. It raises the heartbeat, increases adrenalin levels and strains the functioning of the body. This situation stimulates the nervous system leading to night sweats. I was once told by my Dr when I had episode of night sweats his quote was that there are innumerable medical problems that could cause night sweats in men and almost all were not serious

Good luck hope it passes for you

The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch1one For This Useful Post:
gnnir (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

gnnir HB User

Can they be profuse? Were any of yours?

Mild sweating / dampness I can understand, from lots of causes, but me, from head to waist, and both pillows / sheets underneath (because I had to move over!) were soaked on Friday night - and yet the room was comfortably cool.

Can stress / anxiety really cause profuse sweating, including night sweats?

Last edited by gnnir; 08-25-2013 at 05:11 AM.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Well I know when I was quitting smoking 3 years ago I was so stressed out over starting back up and failing I would head to toe sweat and not from withdrawals I'm talking like three months after I had quit and it wouldn't happen until night time when I was going to go to bed just lay there and sweat took a few weeks eventually stopped
Little by little don't know why dr weren't any help

Old 08-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

gnnir HB User

The body certainly is a mysterious piece of equipment!

Reply Reply

Tags
burning-up, heat intolerance, sweat, sweating