It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2004, 09:03 AM   #1

TragicQueen HB User
Lupron and endometriosis

has anyone else got this shot?
I just got the shot 2 days ago and im expereiencing wierd side effects.
I'm extremely emotional and agitated, i can't stand being touched, it's like my skin hurts.
does anyone know whow long it takes to get used to this medication?

Old 01-28-2004, 09:17 AM   #2

Juliebrat HB User
Re: Lupron and endometriosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TragicQueen
I just got the shot 2 days ago and im expereiencing wierd side effects.
I'm extremely emotional and agitated, i can't stand being touched, it's like my skin hurts.
does anyone know whow long it takes to get used to this medication?

Before I answer this, can you tell me why you're on it? Are you experiencing obstetrical problems where you'll only take this for a short period of time? I'm not trying to be nosy, truly, but Lupron can be an evil drug with many side effects. I have nothing good to say about it, but I want to be honest about the experiences my very close friends have gone through while on Lupron.

Duh, I just saw that you're taking it for endo. Will you only do one round of treatments? Has your dr given you other options to try?

From my experience(from very close friends being treated with Lupron)the side effects CAN, but not always, remain while you're on the drug. But, like anything the sensitivity to it may lessen. I hope yours goes away soon!

Last edited by Juliebrat; 01-28-2004 at 09:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2004, 10:36 AM   #3

TragicQueen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliebrat
Before I answer this, can you tell me why you're on it? Are you experiencing obstetrical problems where you'll only take this for a short period of time? I'm not trying to be nosy, truly, but Lupron can be an evil drug with many side effects. I have nothing good to say about it, but I want to be honest about the experiences my very close friends have gone through while on Lupron.

Duh, I just saw that you're taking it for endo. Will you only do one round of treatments? Has your dr given you other options to try?

From my experience(from very close friends being treated with Lupron)the side effects CAN, but not always, remain while you're on the drug. But, like anything the sensitivity to it may lessen. I hope yours goes away soon!
well, could you tell me more about what they went through?

Old 01-29-2004, 10:47 AM   #4

Juliebrat HB User

Well, here's a little bit about it and 2 of my friends became like other people, if that makes sense! They were mean and edgy and jumpy, in pain all the time, never felt good, got rashes, headaches, hot flashes, palpitations, vaginal problems, mental fog! They didn't feel good for months after their treatments were done and my own aunt was on this stuff and still doesn't feel right. Here's an abstract I found!

Lupron is a synthetic hormone that is said to act on this process by suppressing the ovaries and is supposed to temporarily interrupt estrogen output. This creates a drug-induced menopause. The goal of treatment is to shrink any lesions produced via endometriosis.

Many women with endometriosis who are given Lupron injections have horrendous side-effects, including cardiac arrythmias, dizziness, swelling, chest pain, depression and confusion, bone pain, extreme fatigue, vision loss, high blood pressure, and nausea. Some of the women claim their side-effects last long after treatment is completed.

TAP says its product is safe and that the normal function of the pituitary-gonadal system is usually restored within three months after Lupron injections are discontinued. The FDA agrees with the company.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:54 AM   #5

michelleM123 HB User
Exclamation Re: Lupron and endometriosis

Hi All!

I have endo stage III and my doc prescribed LUPRON. After reading hundreds of posts about it, No way I will take Lupron. In fact, I already have a second doctor opinion appt so I can discuss what more I can do different than Lupron.

I am taking BC continously now and I am not feeling any endo symptoms at all.

I just hope I still can get prego one day!!

Old 02-02-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User

I have to tell you, each month on Lupron has been different for me. Technically, most docs will tell you that you won't feel anything from it for the first several weeks. That isn't to say that what you have been feeling isn't valid. Is there anything else that could be making you feel this way?

Regardess, like I said each month has been different for me and each woman respods differently, too. The sad news is that I haven't heard of many women saying that things got better. Most will develop more symptoms as time goes by.

I tried not to read too many of the horror stories. I read the basic patient info and then I just allowed it to soak in. First, I had some nausea and maybe some hair loss. All along, I have been moody, but I am also battling this crazy uterus of mine along with anemia and preparation for major surgery. I have earned the right to be moody and I am dealing with it. In my second month, the nausea went away, but I was left with some major dizziness and I was still weepy and moody. Now, in my last month, my bones and joints are achy. I notice it more when I have been resting. I just feel old. That's basically it for the side effects and my bleeding did sop this month.

I needed this drug to do it's thing so I could have my surgery, so I have stuck it out, but I will be very glad when it is out of my system. At the end of this month, if you don't feel like you can handle it, talk to your doc about add-back therapy or about quitting the Lupron and trying something else. That is, unless you have tried everything else like I had. You can even call for the add-back therapy now, but if your endo is really severe, it may not respond as well if you do use the HRT.

Old 02-02-2004, 08:47 PM   #7

TragicQueen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaNik5717
I have to tell you, each month on Lupron has been different for me. Technically, most docs will tell you that you won't feel anything from it for the first several weeks. That isn't to say that what you have been feeling isn't valid. Is there anything else that could be making you feel this way?

Regardess, like I said each month has been different for me and each woman respods differently, too. The sad news is that I haven't heard of many women saying that things got better. Most will develop more symptoms as time goes by.

I tried not to read too many of the horror stories. I read the basic patient info and then I just allowed it to soak in. First, I had some nausea and maybe some hair loss. All along, I have been moody, but I am also battling this crazy uterus of mine along with anemia and preparation for major surgery. I have earned the right to be moody and I am dealing with it. In my second month, the nausea went away, but I was left with some major dizziness and I was still weepy and moody. Now, in my last month, my bones and joints are achy. I notice it more when I have been resting. I just feel old. That's basically it for the side effects and my bleeding did sop this month.

I needed this drug to do it's thing so I could have my surgery, so I have stuck it out, but I will be very glad when it is out of my system. At the end of this month, if you don't feel like you can handle it, talk to your doc about add-back therapy or about quitting the Lupron and trying something else. That is, unless you have tried everything else like I had. You can even call for the add-back therapy now, but if your endo is really severe, it may not respond as well if you do use the HRT.
sometimes I really wonder about doctors because it seems like they're never on the same page.
My doc told me the symptoms are at their worst when you first get the shot.
and he already started me on add-back. Which I don't know if that has helped or not. I went to the ER tonight because I was cramping so bad and passing huge clots and soaking a pad an hour and they said it was lupron clearing out my system. and maybe I have a kidney stone. ***?! haha

Old 02-03-2004, 09:50 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

I had 3 Lupron injections to treat my endo. I had normal menopausal side effects, the worst being hot flashes. My experience was not a bad one but I've read many horror stories about other women who had awful side effects. The endo just comes back with a vengance when you stop taking it, so unless you are on it for a specific reason, like trying to get the endo under control to conceive, it's not really gonna do anything but provide temporary relief at best.

Old 02-03-2004, 10:06 AM   #9

Juliebrat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo64
I had 3 Lupron injections to treat my endo. I had normal menopausal side effects, the worst being hot flashes. My experience was not a bad one but I've read many horror stories about other women who had awful side effects. The endo just comes back with a vengance when you stop taking it, so unless you are on it for a specific reason, like trying to get the endo under control to conceive, it's not really gonna do anything but provide temporary relief at best.

So true! That's why my friends, as well as myself, ended up getting hysterectomies. I was the youngest of all of us being 31 at the time, but it has been a lifesaver for me. Now, at almost 34 I have no problems with the endo or the severe pain from my adenomyosis I had also.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:48 PM   #10
Mara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TragicQueen
I just got the shot 2 days ago and Iím experiencing weird side effects. I'm extremely emotional and agitated, I can't stand being touched, it's like my skin hurts.
Does anyone know how long it takes to get used to this medication?
Hey TQ-
I skimmed through your posts. Please call the doctor and tell him you were bleeding like you had when you miscarried. I don't think bleeding like you describe is normal and don't think the Lupron is causing that. Lupron is supposed to keep you from bleeding not cause it. Go to the doctor. They can do a blood test to check your hormones to see if you were pregnant. If you miscarried before and possibly again, I think they may run more tests to see why you are. Hormonal fluctuations can cause mood swings. Please see the doctor. Take Care.

Old 02-15-2004, 12:42 AM   #11
Inactive

pfunk HB User

I know that a lot of people are very skeptical about naturopathic and holistic medicine. However, its usually worth a shot to try something that as traumatic to your system as repeated surgeries or synthetic chemicals like Lupron. There is a great site for you but I can't give it out on this board. However, having read in depth some testimonials from individuals for whom the holistic protocol has worked I think that it is something to look into. It seems that while the cause of endometriosis is unclear some doctors believe that there is back flow into other areas but this is only the mechanism for spread even if it is correct and not the actual cause. While doctors cannot identify how it develops, endometriosis is often time present with systemic candida. This is a yeast infection within the entirety of the body and this does not necessarily have to include, but many times does, frequent vaginal yeast infections. Anyhow, if you can return the systemic flora balance back to normal many women experience marked improvement in endometriosis symptoms. The claim is that this can be accomplished through
1) At least 3 hours of aerobic exercise per week
2) 20 minutes of skilled relaxation every day
3) Following a whole foods diet
This diet means a great deal of whole fruits and vegetables.
It is also recommended that one avoid dairy and meat that is not certified organic as often times these foods are loaded with hormones that will escalate hormones that contribute to endometriosis.
Please note that this is not a cure, but it often times does yield results that are successful in both reducing pain and enhancing fertility if the patient testimonials (from sources not directly related to this doctor) and the doctor are to be believed. Honestly, I am skeptical of holistic medicine in many scenarios but I do trust this doc.

Old 02-15-2004, 09:11 AM   #12
(female)

lismark HB User

Hi! My doc thinks I have endo and I went to a seminar type thing with a doctor that specializes in endo last week. She talked about Lupron and a therapy she does with the Lurpon therapy to counteract the negative side effects. I don't know if I caught it right but it sounded like she said adback therapy, something like that! She also mentioned that they always do bone density tests while on Lupron since it can contribute to bone loss. This therapy also counteracts that so patients can stay on Lupron longer than they typically thought. THis doctor sounded great and talked about treating the whole patient, she has an accupuncturist, pt's, dieticians and nutritionists in her office. I think I'll be switching to her, she sounded like she knows what the current research is saying and what the current therapies are. If you want anymore info just let me know!
Lisa

Old 02-15-2004, 09:45 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User

I am 21, with stage III endo (whichever one is the worst) - and was on Lupron for 6 months.

My last shot was in December and I have had one period so far.

My experience with Lupron was not that bad. I did have hot flashes pretty bad, so my Dr put me on the Climara patch (estrogen add-back). Before I was on the Climara I also had some bad mood swings, like I did when I was PMSing. I lost my sex drive. I still had pain.

Would I take it again? Chances are, I'll have to. But I think the side effects are a price worth paying. I would much rather treat my endo and deal with side effects than not treat it.

I wouldn't even consider my whole 6 month experience as being bad. Sure, it wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. I just think of it as having a heads up for what i'm going to go through when I hit menopause

Old 02-17-2004, 02:00 PM   #14

blj97 HB User

I was on lupron for six months I had one hot flash that was it except that the nurse shot me in my back by accident and boy did that hurt for a week. I had surgery prior to my lupron but the endometriosis came back so quick they gave me lupron after. To be honest with you I dont think it changed me at all as soon as my periods returned they hurt just as bad as before and are still as heavy as ever!! Good luck to you though.

Old 02-21-2004, 10:29 PM   #15
Inactive

pfunk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lismark
Hi! My doc thinks I have endo and I went to a seminar type thing with a doctor that specializes in endo last week. She talked about Lupron and a therapy she does with the Lurpon therapy to counteract the negative side effects. I don't know if I caught it right but it sounded like she said adback therapy, something like that! She also mentioned that they always do bone density tests while on Lupron since it can contribute to bone loss. This therapy also counteracts that so patients can stay on Lupron longer than they typically thought. THis doctor sounded great and talked about treating the whole patient, she has an accupuncturist, pt's, dieticians and nutritionists in her office. I think I'll be switching to her, she sounded like she knows what the current research is saying and what the current therapies are. If you want anymore info just let me know!
Lisa
I am sorry to say this but so long as the doctor is employing the use of Lupron unless as a very very last resort, I cannot see how she is treating the whole patient. This drug is far too detrimental to the system to be taking for endometriosis. The nutritionist should be telling any patient with endometriosis to completely eliminate all caffeine, all alcohol, and all dairy products and meats that aren't certified organic. She should be having the patients consume lots and lots of vegetables, especially green leafies, beans, legumes and the like. She should also be telling endometriosis patients to be supplementing with selenium and B complex vitamins.

Closed Thread