It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
17-year-old wondering if she could have endometriosis

I know I've winhed time and time again here about abdominal/pelvic pain. Well I went in for an appointment about 2 weeks ago and my nurse practitioner coolly passed off my pain as "probably just a little ol' ovarian cyst". And she didn't even sound concerned, or at least not enough to make me worry.

So I perused the internet for signs of ovarian cysts...I had the pelvic pain, which began on the left side, but then spread to the right side too. Now I feel pain in the right side of my pelvis on and off, while the left side pain is constant.

I looked in a section called "Conditions with Similar Symptoms" and I read the description of endometriosis, and it seems as if I have quite a few symptoms, including lower back pain (on the left mainly), pelvic pain, and occasional nausea out of the clear blue sky. I used to have very very bad cramps on only the first day of my period - I describe the pain as being equivalent to "giving birth to the Anti-Christ". But after I began birth control, the cramps faded for the first 2 periods, but came back all the same the third month.

I also had what felt like a menstrual cramp the day of my appointment, out of nowhere.

There were some lumps in my pelvic area, which I assumed were lymph nodes, but there is one lump that is exceptionally solid and rigid, and painful. It is the one I can always pinpoint. I don't know if that is a lymph node that is just being a ***** or if it's a cyst of some kind.

From my reading, "endo" as it is popularly nicknamed, has no known cause, is not fatal, does not cause permenant damage, and sometimes goes away within 2-3 menstrual cycles. Was I fed the wrong info or is this accurate?

I know there's been a lot of topics about endo here, but I just seek reassurance in my own personal situation. And I'll appreciate any help whatsoever with this topic...because the pelvic and back pain is really getting on my nerves. O.o

Dark Stranger - can assume her pelvic pain "ain't no pulled muscle"

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 10-30-2004 at 07:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2004, 01:36 PM   #2

kermitjmb HB User
Post Re: 17-year-old wondering if she could have endometriosis

Dark Stranger-
Welcome to the board.
There are a few threads that you should read about endo.
"Endometriosis" and "Could I have endo" are the names of them. There are many sories of the women on this board there. It may answer some questions for you. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2004, 07:05 PM   #3

blue2angels HB User
Re: 17-year-old wondering if she could have endometriosis

Hi i know what your saying, from the age of 14 i to suffered from very painful periods combined with a heavy flow.After many different doctors- who i might say didnt have a clue!, i found a good gynaecologist who on the first visit booked me in for a "look around" through keyhole surgery.On waking i was told the worst news possiable! he found extensive "endo" through out the both ovaries & parts of my bowel as well as "Pod" ( polycystic ovarian disease) this condition causes offen comes with endo.POD causes alot of pain,as cysts form due to the egg not releasing from the ovarie instead it forms many cysts that can range in different size, most doctors leave them if they a small as they will burst on their own, but any cyst that is over 2cm is offen drained through surgery, if left to become large they can cause the ovarie to burst. The pain you discribe sounds so familiar and i feel for you,I was placed on Danzol for 2yrs for the endo, which stop my periods and help the pain greatly.They say that Danzol helps as it is a male hormone,the side affects a weight gain,facial hair and bloating but it out weighs the pain that endo causes. At 18 the endo was back & every mnth i was having cyst drained. To cut a long story short, at 19yrs i was married having IVF as i was unable to fall pregnant it took 3yrs to fall and I can say i was blessed with 2 beautiful boys, after the birth they performed a hysterectomy as the endo destroyed everything.That was 8yrs ago and i think that if i had found a good doctor first maybe i still have my womenhood.
My message to you sweety is to find a doctor that will take you seriously as endo & pod a not a disease that will wait, if you find it early & with the right treatment you will be blessed with children and for some they say that the endo disappears after pregnancy!

Take care and I hope this has help you
let me know how you go sweety

The Following User Says Thank You to blue2angels For This Useful Post:
NoraRenee (02-10-2012)
Old 11-02-2004, 05:32 AM   #4
(female)

waterfairy HB User
Re: 17-year-old wondering if she could have endometriosis

Dark Stranger,

I am going through a very similar problem as you. I also have pelvic pain, painful periods, and many, many, MANY other symptoms. Like you, I turned to the Internet to help me try and find out more about my horrible periods. I've tried the birth control thing, which didn't help. I've tried been sent to have a transvaginal sonogram/ultrasound, which showed nothing. I've had a pelvic exam, which also showed nothing. But with all of these tests and such, I still have horrible periods and have ever since I started at age 11 (I'm now 23).

I will be the first to tell you that these message boards are a wealth of information as well as unconditional support. I have learned so very much from talking with people who have endo, and who are suspicous that they might endo, like myself.

As blue2angles has said, do not give up on finding a doctor who will listen to you. You know your body more than anyone, and if you're having pain and horrible periods, there is probably something that is causing that, like endo, a cyst, or PSOC like blue2angles mentioned. I am going to a gynecologist to find out if I have endo. My first appointment is this Thursday. I am hoping to get some answers to my questions and concerns, and will gladly share the information with people on these boards. Do not give up on trying to find a GYN who will listen to you. It may take two, three, or even more to listen to you, but don't let that discourage you.

I wish you luck, and if I can help in anyway, I will. My thread "Could I have endometriosis?" which kermitjmb mentioned, has a wealth of information on it. I hope you can find some answers to your problems.

Waterfairy

Closed Thread