It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User
endometriosis or Cervical Cancer?

My doctor suspects I may have endometriosis but refuses to do a lap. As I'm searching for reputable Dr for a second opinion I came across a frightening new symptom - bleeding after intercourse. It was only spotting for a few hours. Nothing heavy.

My other symptoms are pelvic and lower abdominal cramping, painful and heavy periods, neasuea (ALL THE TIME NOW!!!), pain on the side directely porportionate to my belly button, lower back pain and, occassional pain during sex and lower back pain. I don't have any noticable discharge that's different than normal.

Could this bleeding just be Endometriosis related or had I better rush to get that second opinion? Everything I've looked up says bleeding after sex is Uterine or Cervical cancer. My chances of having PID is rare.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User
Re: endometriosis or Cervical Cancer?

Willo,

The internet is a wonderful thing, but very scary sometimes First question is: when was your last pap? I would get one done asap if only to ease your mind that everything is okay. Make sure your doctor knows about all your symptoms as well. The chances of it actually being cervical cancer are relatively low, but I'm guessing your mind will not be at ease until you know for sure. Good luck to you!

Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User

My last pap was in Sept after my daughter was born. My sister (younger) had pre-cancer cells on her cervix. They found then during a pap 6 months ago and she's been on Depo since to stop her periods. The doc told her this should inhibit the cell's growth. She's going back in for a D&C soon for another recheck on their growth. But she never had symptoms. It was just a routine pap.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

If you had a Pap less than a year ago that was normal than it's very unlikely that you have cervical cancer advanced enough to cause the symptoms you are describing. Cervical cancer is almost always caught in the very early stages if you are having regular Paps.

Endometriosis or fibroids are probably more likely.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

Timber is right. And typically symptoms do not start appearing with cervical cancer until it is in the later stages, meaning if anything was there, your doctor would have seen it during your pap test. I have heard of women with stage 1 invasive cervical cancer reporting a profuse, clear watery discharge as their only symptom.

I would like to comment that I have not ever read of the depo shot assisting pre-cancerous cells to regress. I hope you don't mind a gentle suggestion for your sister to look into this a little further? Like, what kind of cells were showing up on the pap? Typically the cells are reviewed through a colposcopy and punch biopsy, a d&c evaluates cells from the uterus. I am not wanting to alarm you unnecessarily, but I have researched cervical cancer for almost two years. The foremost way to assist in the cell regression is boosting your vitamin intake and immune system I have never seen anything favorable regarding the depo shot and cervical cell changes.

Karen

Old 06-16-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
(female)

serenity26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen32
I would like to comment that I have not ever read of the depo shot assisting pre-cancerous cells to regress. I hope you don't mind a gentle suggestion for your sister to look into this a little further? Like, what kind of cells were showing up on the pap? Typically the cells are reviewed through a colposcopy and punch biopsy, a d&c evaluates cells from the uterus. I am not wanting to alarm you unnecessarily, but I have researched cervical cancer for almost two years. The foremost way to assist in the cell regression is boosting your vitamin intake and immune system I have never seen anything favorable regarding the depo shot and cervical cell changes.

Karen
Agreed. That sounds a little odd. Folic acid promotes healthy new growth. And my doctor said birth control shouldn't increase the growth of pre-cancerous cells. I have not heard of any b/c helping regression. I also would suggest she ask a few more questions and be sure to be going in more than once a year until she gets some clear results on her paps. Take care.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:57 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User

Thanks for the reassurance. I was hoping this was just probably related to the possible endo and not something more serious!

As to my sister - I beleive they were pre-cancerous cells found on her cervix during her yearly pap. Her doc performed a D&C to investigate and took some samples. When it came back that they were just pre-cancerous and not already cancerous, her doctor chose to keep them there and watch. I was concerned and told my sister I would've insisted on having them removed anyway! I wouldn't want something on my cervix that could turn to cancer! But she said he doctor was stopping her cycles with a high dose of Depo (the kind they had given me for Endo) and they would do paps twice a year for so many years and another D&C in 6 months or so. I told her to get a second opinion but she doesn't have insurance so she refused. I told her to swallow her pride, go to the free women's clinic, and get a medical card! I didn't want to lose my sister because she got cancer. I dunno, I would just hate having something in my body lingering there that could cause cancer down the road. Frightening.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Willo1980,

Some information is being misunderstood by your sister and relayed to you wrongly. A D&C procedure removes the contents of the uterus not the cervix, and is not used to diagnose cervical pre-cancer. Cervical pre-cancer (called dysplasia) is diagnosed using a procedure called colposcopy. A D&C is used to treat uterine problems, and to examine uterine (endometrial) tissue.

Furthermore, the Depo shot will have no affect whatsoever on pre-cancerous cervical changes. The fact that your sister's doctor did a D&C and put her on Depo to stop her cycle means that something other than just cervical changes is going on. She may have cervical dysplasia, but something endometrial is happening as well. Perhaps your sister misunderstood her doctor. Maybe they suspected that she had uterine cancer.

Also, early cell changes on the cervix go away by themselves in up to 70% of patients, so it's very common practice to just watch a patient closely with regular Pap smears rather than treating them. If the dysplasia progresses, she will be treated.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User

Oh, ok, Timber. Thanks. I didn't know any of that. I'm very familiar with Endometriosis but Cervical and Uterine cancers are all new to me. I'm in the dark about most of the facts.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

karen32 HB User

hey Willo, I think it is fair to say that most of us were in the dark about cervical and other gyn cancers before we experienced it personally So, please, do not worry about that. The only reason I brought it up in the first place is that I had never seen anything regarding the depo shot discouraging cervical cell changes. I think it is very telling that you are concerned about your sister - I think you have the feeling in the back of your mind that something is not right? I know what you mean, the thought of leaving cells on the cervix that could possibly progress to cancer, is very frightening. I am guessing she had low grade cell changes or maybe atypical cell changes. In that scenario, it is very common to repap in 4 to 6 months to keep an eye on them and see if they regress. It is very common for these types of cells to regress.

The pap can pick up cervical cell changes, but it also can sometimes pick up endometrial (in the uterus) cell changes as well. When that happens, they get a bit concerned, especially if your sister is younger. The d&c would be quite appropriate then, to examine the lining of the uterus to see what is going on. My mom, in fact, had this happen last year, and had to go for an endometrial biopsy (versus a d&c) to make sure nothing sinister was happening with the lining.

I can speculate all I want about your sister's situation, but I don't know all the facts, so I won't make any more guesses. I think it would be a really good thing for you to continue talking to her about the cell changes and see if you can find out any further information. There is quite a bit of information out there about cervical issues, dysplasia is the technical term for pre-cancerous cell changes, as well, you will see terminology such as CIN (cervical intraepithelial neoplasia) with corresponding numbers for mild (1) to severe (3).

Please, if you have any questions about cervical stuff, feel free to ask them. When I pop in again, I'd be more than happy to discuss them with you. I'm not a doctor, but I read alot about this ever since I got my diagnosis and have a good working knowledge about this stuff.

Take care, Willo.

Closed Thread