It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2006, 08:35 AM   #1
(female)

threewingedfury HB User
Laproscopy for endometriosis

Is this extremely horrible? I have one schedule for the 20th, and I'm really worried about it. I've had trouble all my life with cramps during my period, and I had an IUD put in, and it just gave me the worse feeling in the world, I thought my pains were killing me. I had it taken out and after 2 weeks I'm still in a lot of pain, and my doctor thinks I have endometriosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
(female)

japennington HB User
Re: Laproscopy for endometriosis

I personally didn't think that it was too bad. I had my first done in 2002 where they found severe endo that had pulled both of my ovaries down and was attaching to my bowel. I am scheulded for my second lap Nov 15 to see if and how badly the endo has returned. I was moving around that evening (although slowly! LOL!) and returned to work on Tuesday (surgery was on Thursday). Everyone is different and it will depend on if they find anything and if so how much work they have to do. Best of luck to you!!!!
Jessica
PS- Make sure to bring clothes that are VERY loose on your belly for the ride home. You may also want to bring pads along with you so you will have ones you like. It is also nice to have a pillow for the ride home (even the smallest bump can cause pain and the pressure from the pillow seems to help). If you don't have a heating pad you may want to consider getting one. My biggest pain was from the CO2 they pump into your abd. Sometimes it gets trapped in your shoulder area and can cause pain. I know that putting a heating pad on it helped. Sorry this got so long but I was tring to think of things that made the surgery easier for me. Best of luck and I hope that everything goes well.
Jessica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
(female)

threewingedfury HB User

what do you mean by bring pads? Am I going to bleed a lot? Is this a guarantee? I haven't had a period in years, so I was just wondering, since I haven't bought pads in a long time.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #4
(female)

japennington HB User

I didn't bleed heavy but I did bleed. More of a spotting then a period. I just know that the pads they gave me in the hospital were awful! As big as a diaper and no adhesive on them!

Old 11-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
(female)

kycountrygirl HB User

First off, my thoughts and prayers with you when you have your surgery. I had a laproscopy done, as well as IUD removal this past July. Some tips:

* Make sure you have a driver
* Wear loose fitting clothes. Best to wear "workout" pants or sweatpants with a stretch band as your stomach will feel bloated.
* Bring a pad (kotex) to wear in case you bleed (period).
* Have a heating pad.
* Get pain medicine filled and take it immediately. That way later on the pain won't be too bad.
* You will bruise in your stomach and that is normal.
* I was off work for 2 days (day of procedure and day after). The first week you just want to take it easy and not lift anything.
* As mentioned before, the pain from the gas getting trapped can get aggravating. If you start to feel pain, change positions. It is worse when you lay flat on your back.
* The first day or so, eat bland foods. Then you work your way back up. Because of your stomach being sore, having a bowel movement will be hard to do. If you have problems after a couple of days, call your doctor.
* Keep an eye on your incisions for any discharge, etc. Be sure to keep them dry.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:45 PM   #6
(female)

Oscarooni HB User

Hi Jessica,

I have just recently had bowel surgery for an obstracted bowel which the doctor thought was a cancer tumour but after removing about 1 foot of my bowel he later found out it was endo which had managed to attach itself to my bowel and block it all together. It had also attached itself to my left fallopian tube which he also removed during the surgery. This endo thing is a real mystery why it spreads itself like it does to other organs instead of leaving our bodies where it is supposed to during our menstral cycle.
I never knew I had endo until I had the surgery.

Take care

Old 11-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #7
(female)

luvmyjeep HB User

I had a lap done cuz my dr thought i had endo (turned out i am perfectly fine). It went very well. I only have one scar from it. And it's where no one can see. I had mine done on tuesday and was down about a week. I could do stuff at home but work was to active for me. I had no bleeding or anything but that could be because i didn't have endo.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #8
(female)

threewingedfury HB User

Well I finally had mine done today. I'm extremely sore from it because they didn't really give me any narcotics. They gave me toradol shots and told me to take tylenol at home. My gynecologist doesnt prescribe narcotics, and I'm hurting! They did a D and C and a hysteroscopy (sp?) also, which I didn't even know they were doing until my pre-op day. I have been bleeding uncontrollably. My doctor told my husband that I had a few bits a scar tissue that he had to take out, and he does think I have endo. I'm hoping I'll at least know the answer to my problems now. I can't sleep though, my throat hurts so bad, and has been bleeding because they accidently cut my throat pulling the tube out.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #9
(female)

inexperienced HB User

hi there,

im 21 years old, and have had period pain so severe this year that it has landed me in hospital. this lead to me having a laproscopy to check for endometriosis about 5 months ago.

i only had a small biopsy removed, and this did not cause me very much pain at all. the bulk of my pain was caused by the gas they will pump into your abdomen in order to have a clearer vision of the organs inside. i have to admit, this was quite painful for me - it caused pain up to my neck and shoulders, but i was told this was all normal. (i really hope that hasnt scared you - everyone is different, but i just thought i'd warn you of the possibility, because when you've got pain in your neck caused by an operation on your stomach, you might get a bit confused/worried).

Im not a very big girl, so i was VERY bloated afterwards - my mum was laughing because she thought i looked 6 months pregnant.

you most likely will have a bit of bleeding for a day or two (i did), but its not too much.

the scarring is absolutely minimal as well - im not sure if you're concerned about that, but i was a bit, and im happy with the result.

i hope this helped. the advice from the posting before me seemed quite on the money also, from my experience.

good luck, and dont stress about it, it will all be over before you know it

Old 11-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #10
(female)

inexperienced HB User

gee, so sorry for the late message - i only joined this forum today, so didnt realise there were other pages of replies.

im sorry to hear you're not feeling so well, i really hope all goes well for you very soon

Closed Thread