It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
(female)

janabell83 HB User
Unhappy Possible Endometriosis What should I do?

I first went to my GP and explained to her my symptoms
Terrible Cramps during my period that keep getting worse every month
Bleeding that gets worse every month
Cramps, bloating between cycles.
Pain during ovulation
Painful bowel movements
painful intercourse
and numerous immunity issues which I didnt realize was related.
I had an ultrasound and everything came back normal size/position etc.
So, I went to a gyn and he did a culture to check for infection. negative.
He wants to schedule for a lap. procedure. Although he has not mentioned endo, I am pretty sure thats what hes thinking.
My problem is that I cant afford it. My insurance will only cover 70% of the surgery AFTER I pay my $5000 deductible. My husband and I own our own business and this just would totally wipe out all our savings. Considering I have spent so much money on dr's and prescriptions and so on this year alone, I seriously doubt my husband is going to be ok with this.
What are my other options for treatment? I am already taking Yasmin and am still having bad pain and bleeding heavily.
Does the dr. have to do the lap first to determine the actual condition before he can prescribe something for me?

Old 07-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
(female)

DQGal HB User
Re: Possible Endometriosis What should I do?

Hello there! I am sorry about your health issues and I hope you can find a cause soon. That must be frustrating for you! It very well could be endo.
I am not sure what to tell you as far as the laparoscopy goes. It is the only definitive way to diagnose endometriosis. However, as you said, it's not inexpensive! So that is something to consider. But if it will improve your health and give you a definite diagnosis, I would think that would be worth it and you can go from there for further treatment,etc.
(I had one done and I am so glad now I know I have endo and it really helped with my symptoms.)
Just some things to consider. But that is just my opinion, so do what you think is right for you. Good luck with whatever you decide and keep us posted!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
(female)

declansmom HB User

I am sorry to hear about your possible endo. I have been diagnosed with severe endo and I am so very glad I finally had a laproscopy becuase it is in my colon, appendix, closed up my uterus and is causing some major health issues. I would suggest getting the surgery done. But when you don't have the money, you simply don't have the money....I know I am swimming in medical bills right now. I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy in August. If you don't have children, but want children, I would have it done to help with that. If you are not planning on having children, then you could talk to your Dr to see if they can do some trial drugs that insurance will pay for and try other pills. But if you think you have endo, you will eventually have ot have a laproscopy to confirm how bad it is and what can be done to help. I have found numerous amts of information from the Endometrosis Association dot org.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
(female)

janabell83 HB User

Thanks, I know inevitably that I will need to get the laparosopy, but I am just wondering what I can do until then. I will talk to my doctor and see what he suggets. I am taking Yasmin currently so I am thinking maybe we can switch my BC to see if it helps at all. And I will just wait as long as I can. Obviously my health is more important than money.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

At one time my OBGYN thought I had endo. My OBGYN did a laparoscopy. Before the surgery I had all the same aches and pains as you except the painful bowel movements. My doctor did not find anything wrong with me whatsoever except cysts on my ovaries but nothing was removed.

After the surgery all the pain had stopped for years. There is nothing to explain why it stopped since there was nothing she could find that was wrong.

There may be something on the backside that can not be seen with an ultrasound. Staying healthy is your best defense. Eat healthy and exercise. Exercise reduces estrogen levels, which may slow the growth of endometriosis. It also helps relieve pain. There is much info on exercise helping endometriosis.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
(female)

babyluv45 HB User

Sometimes even when the doc just suspects endo they will put you on a medication like Lurpon Depot. It basically puts your body into a reversible false menopuase. It is what I am on, and I have been on it since i was 16, so about 3 years now. it does help the pain. i had a lap though to diagnose it. i would ask about being medicated without the lap. if the meds help then you know what it is and if they dont, then maybe go for the surgery to see what else it could be. hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
(female)

declansmom HB User

You have been on Lupron for 3 years? how do you like it? how severe were you diagnosed? I was wondering because i was told Lupron can only be taken 3-6 months. Have you found improvment?

Old 07-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
(female)

Kate58 HB User

I agree, 3 years on Lupron. My endo has just come back and my doc said that it was an option, but could only stay on it for 1 year. I had a laproscopy back in 2004, I have been on Necon (generic BC for Ovcon) for 3 years. It helped but my endo has come back, my doc gave me 2 options Lupron or surgery again. I am afraid that my surgery will lead to more scar tissue and lower my option to have kids. I am olny 25 and still want to have kids in a couple of years. just wondering what Lupron is like???

Old 08-03-2007, 05:17 AM   #9
(female)

babyluv45 HB User

Lupron is not bad. You just sometimes have menopausal symptoms, but that is what the add-back is for. the most troubling thing for me is the short-term memory loss. i aaked my doc about being on it so long and he said as long as i was taking the add-back i should be fine. im only 19 and def want to have kids, and Lupron should not affect that in any way. good luck!

Closed Thread