It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2003, 09:28 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
Post can endometriosis damage kidneys?

Just wondering if any of you know if endometriosis can get so bad that it affects/damages your kidneys? My regular doctor suspects my abdominal/back pain is from endometriosis. I am also spilling a lot of protein in my urine, so I am seeing a kidney doctor. She is getting ready to do a biopsy, and I have been wondering if the endometriosis has grown on my kidneys, and if that would cause protein, and would endometriosis show on a biopsy? Thanks for any answers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2003, 11:23 PM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Hey rorie....what's up?

About your endometriosis. The thing is, endometriosis has been known to have appeared in many weird places in the body including the lungs and even the brain (like a cancer metastasis)...but as you can guess, those things are really rare. Normally, the endometrial tissue will appear inside the fallopian tubes, on the ovaries or behind the ovaries on the wall of the abdominal cavity. The thing with the kidneys is that they are what are known as "retroperitoneal structures"....i.e. they are separated from the main abdominal cavity by a type of sheath which actually makes it "behind" the abdominal cavity. As a result of their anatomical location, it's hard for endometriosis to penetrate to those areas; however, I'm not saying that it never happens.

As for your proteinuria....I'm not sure it is even related to your endometriosis. I'm interested in what the doctor has to say when the test results come back.

As for a biopsy, yes you would be able to identify endometrial tissue if it was there, but like I said before, that would probably be rare in a kidney biopsy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2003, 10:58 AM   #3

RareEndo HB User
Hi

I'm new to the boards sort-of and go from blood disorders, liver issues, neuro-muscular, etc etc.

I just wanted to say that I am one of those odd ones that had a laparoscopy for suspected Endo and none was found. Post lap I got a really bad kidney infection and have never been the same, that was in 1998.

During the lap adhesions where removed and my tubes were cleared and I was pregnant within a month and a half after 2 plus years of secondary infertility.

I did a course of Lupron six months postpartum and my OB/Gyn also my PCP stopped the Lupron after three months because of the estrogen being that of a 90 years olds and having continuous bleeding.

My OB/Gyn threw his hands up in the air basically, after three months off the Lupron and three months of 3 BCP's a day continously I suffered a stroke. That wasn't found until four years later (just a cuple months ago)

Getting back to the Endo, my Dr gave up on me, I had ultrasounds and CT scans that he said a lesion (was just a lymph node) six months after that I brought the films to a general surgeoen who did a laparotomy to check for lymphom or leukemia and discovered incidently a baseball sized Endometrioma imbeded in my abdominal muscle. It was consistant with Endometriosis but mixed with a muscle tumor. Also repaired after the excision foo the tumor was a periumbilical hernia.

My kidneys have never been the same, my liver, spleen and bowel all have adhesions and four years after my laparotomy and tumor resection I have another on the left side.

I can't really offer you information as my case has been on going and terribly mishandled. I was told it was IBS, all in my head asked if "I was feeling like I was going to hurt myself" my reply to the last one was well "I might hurt you" meaning the doctor for being an ***.

I had moved out of state and started all over, I was told I had a dual system right kidney then two years later told I don't. Because of my organ enlargements (spleen and now liver) it's hard to determine if I"m haveing renal colic or pain from all the organ crowding.

Adhesions could certainly be affecting the kidneys through the omentum (the lining that seperates the peritoneum from the retroperitoneam)

It's all amazing really. I've read so much about all the abdominal possibilities of Endo and still have to wonder about travel through blood and/or lymph system...could Endo have been the lesion in my brain? Or because of the congestion in the abdomen caused the stroke? Too many questions I know, legitimate but all we can do is take one day at a time.

Please know I'll be thinking of your upcoming biopsy, I hope it isn't anything too serious. I had protien in my urine alot of times especially with the toxemia of pregnancy. Do you have high blood pressure? Get dizzy or see spots? I know your not pregnant, but those symptoms sure go along with protienuria (sp?) along with itching withou a rash.

Best wishes to you, sorry to ramble so much, everytime a post hit's home with me I can't help myself
Take Care and God Bless
Jess (aks RareEndo)

Old 09-15-2003, 12:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
Jess (RareEndo)- Thanks so much for your response. I have sooo many questions! I am tired of trying to figure out what is wrong with me! I think you said adhesions were found during a laparoscopy...do you know if adhesions should show on a CT scan? I recently had a CT scan and it was "normal". I can't believe it showed nothing with all the pain I've had. I am ready to do the kidney biopsy, but due to infections (urinary tract and strep throat) they have put off the biopsy until my body has recovered. I am interested in your story. I was also told at one time it was IBS and stress...but the doctors realize it isn't that now, but are baffled by my body. I was they could find and fix the problem soon!

Old 09-16-2003, 07:40 AM   #5

RareEndo HB User
Hi

Sorry but I don't think CT scans or U/S show scar tissue or adhesions. At least that is the impression I get due to the fact they didn't see anything of that sort on my films and I've had tons.

I got comments during u/s like "let me get the Dr I'll be right back" and the dr says " no that can't be right" and then no answers to what the hell they were talking about. It's not funny but my Husband used to Joke that the Dr left a dunkin donuts cup in me during the c-section and the radiologists couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Anyway, I've always had "some" pathology found in all my tests and films. I had a needle aspiration last year from a saroma (collection of fluid) post op (three years later) It was nothing, symptom wise but they acted like they did me a big favor. Then with that aspiration which was a good 4 inches in my abdomen was done without anestetic because a good portion of my abdomen is free of sensation except for itching and pain internally of course. You could stab me in the abdomen and I wouldn't feel a thing.

I didn't realize this until my old Dr did a corticosteroid injection into my abdominal muscle for pain relief and I didn't feel the needle then either.

Anyway, it's weird how can I have all this relentless nerve stimulation like itching and deep pain but no sensation if you put a cigarette tip on my belly from the outside...

HOpe your infection goes away and your feeling better soon. Ask away, I'll try and respond in a reasonable amount of time. Let me know how things are with you?

Take Care and God Bless
JEss

Closed Thread