It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
(male)

Shirokuma HB User
Hysterectomy for severe endometriosis?

Ok, I am a guy but my wife has been dealing with this for years. The other day her hemoglobin level dropped all the way to 7 (normal is 12-14 for women) So because of the severe and constant (every 2 weeks) bleeding the newest doctor recommended hysterectomy. From what I can read this will not necessarily be a cure though and if she takes hormone replacement therapy it could come back. Now though she is living on the NSAIDS and occasionally needs to visit hospitals for IM pain management. She has done about 3 or 4 hormone options as well as we tried to conceive again, with no luck. Her uterus is now 11 cm with is up from the 9cm it was before the time she got pregnant.

So is hysterectomy really a good option? Are there any others? Ideas?

Old 01-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
(female)

GreenGal77 HB User
Re: Hysterectomy for severe endometriosis?

I'm in a similar situation to your wife. My hemoglobin also dropped to a 7 as a result of my endometriosis and frequent, severe periods. I can no longer take NSAIDs and have to use narcotics and/or visit the hospital for pain management. I'm surprised they are still letting her use the NSAIDs as that can signifigantly increase the likelihood of anemia.

I am also looking at a hysterectomy. From what I understand, it is not a cure; however, if her most severe problem is anemia it can really help with that because she won't have monthly periods anymore. In my case, becaues the endometriosis (at least at the time of the last lap) was confined mostly to the uterus and the bladder, I can keep my ovaries which means I don't have to go on HRT either. Unfortunately, the endo can (and often will) keep growing; however, it can be a good fix for anemia and in some cases pain. Whether or not it helps her pain depends largely on the cause of the pain. For me, I generally only get pain during my periods and it's mostly from uterine contractions and the expulsion of large clots, so I'm optimistic it will help with the pain as well.

I have done a lot of research, I'm only 27 and I don't have children or a spouse so the doctors are taking the decision very carefully, if you want you or your wife is welcome to contact me and I can tell you everything I have found out so far.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
(male)

Shirokuma HB User
Re: Hysterectomy for severe endometriosis?

Thanks, Good reply there.

Yeah the clots etc are not something that is good, I nearly threw up when my wife showed me.

She gets bed ridden by the pain about 2 or 3 days each cycle.

We are in Japan, the level of treatment is different here. NSAIDs are pretty much the standard of care for all chronic pain. I too have had pain issues and their answers where only ever drugs or surgery. No alternative treatments or ideas.

The anemia was scary as it happens over time and I did not really notice how white she was getting but after the treatments and iron supplements her colour is suddenly returning.

I really want her to be able to chose a really good surgeon rather than the ones locally available, I got hacked and had nerve damage requiring more surgery etc etc The pain makes us do stupid or ill conceived things. I really feel for you as you are younger.

Thanks again

Closed Thread