It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
(male)

Shirokuma HB User
hysterectomy for severe endometriosis?

Ok, I am a guy but my wife has been dealing with this for years. The other day her hemoglobin level dropped all the way to 7 (normal is 12-14 for women) So because of the severe and constant (every 2 weeks) bleeding the newest doctor recommended hysterectomy. From what I can read this will not necessarily be a cure though and if she takes hormone replacement therapy it could come back. Now though she is living on the NSAIDS and occasionally needs to visit hospitals for IM pain management. She has done about 3 or 4 hormone options as well as we tried to conceive again, with no luck. Her uterus is now 11 cm with is up from the 9cm it was before the time she got pregnant.

So is hysterectomy really a good option? Are there any others? Ideas?

Old 01-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: hysterectomy for severe endometriosis?

I didn't have endometriosis, so I don't know a lot. I wanted to reply so you'd know someone is out here and understands some of the frustration of trying to decide what option is best for a woman. I'm sure it was really scary when her hemoglobin dropped so low!

Can you get another opinion on the need for surgery? That's my first recommendation.

My second idea is that it is possible to have a hysterectomy and leave the ovaries; it is called a total hyst (to just remove the cervix and uterus). I don't know what all would need to be removed in your wife's case.

I wish I had more ideas and was of more use.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
(male)

Shirokuma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
I didn't have endometriosis, so I don't know a lot. I wanted to reply so you'd know someone is out here and understands some of the frustration of trying to decide what option is best for a woman. I'm sure it was really scary when her hemoglobin dropped so low!

Can you get another opinion on the need for surgery? That's my first recommendation.

My second idea is that it is possible to have a hysterectomy and leave the ovaries; it is called a total hyst (to just remove the cervix and uterus). I don't know what all would need to be removed in your wife's case.

I wish I had more ideas and was of more use.
Thanks for the reply. This doctor was like the 10th or 11th one we have been to in the last 5 - 6 years.

I have no idea about the actual surgery plan yet as we have not gone to the actual surgeon yet as I think she wants to try the last effort with the last drug option. Still even with the drug option the uterus will not decrease in size so ...... Especially if the drug treatment does not work. The last combination pill was terrible for her, the bleeding etc was the worst. Pretty scary actually...

I am trying to be supportive but it is getting tougher.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
(female)

Rockford2 HB User

yes, i highly suggest the complete hysterectomy without hormones! i did it and I never...I repeat, NEVER went into menopause!!! I am one of the few lucky ones and I have always chalked it up to having had to suffer for years with severe endometriosis. Somebody was looking down on me and said, 'this woman has suffered enough.'

The BEST thing I did was have this complete hysterectomy done almost 3 years ago. I am 48 years old and my only regret was not having this surgery performed YEARS ago!! Good luck to your wife.

Closed Thread