It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User
Endometriosis symptoms returning

I was diagnosed with endometriosis when i was 18 by laporoscopy. They found a few spots on the back of my uterus and uterine ligaments. They lasered those spots off. My doctor after the surgery told me that the endo would most likely come back in a couple years. Since then i have been on birth control. The birth control seemed to help my pain alot,...i didn't have any more cramps every day like i first did or pelvic pain. Now I am 22, almost 23 and im starting to get back the daily cramping and sharp stinging pains which i got to begin with. I would really like to have another laporoscopy to see if there is more endo. But the doctors and gynecologists in my town are unwilling to perform a laporoscopy on me. Actually i had to go to a town 3 hours away to get a doctor to take me seriously and perform my first lap to diagnose my endo. So i'm thinking i will probably have to go back to that same gyno that did my first lap and she will maybe agree to perform another one to see if my enod is indeed returned. I dont want to put off having the surgery because i want to know how much endo there is on my reproductive organs cause in a few years i want to have children and i dont want to have problems then. Does anyone relate to how im feeling and have any opinions to me trying to get a second lap?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
(female)

darkwater HB User
Re: Endometriosis symptoms returning

Yes, I relate to what you are feeling. I think you should try to get perhaps one more laparoscopy done at this time since it has been almost 5 years, but there is the potential for a small amount of scar tissue inside you each time, which can sometimes be troublesome in itself later on. So if you need additional treatment after this one, your doctor is probably going to eventually suggest trying some kind of drugs that basically put you into temporary menopause to halt the endo. This is not as bad as it sounds and it helps preserve your reproductive functions from damage until you are ready to try to become pregnant. Of course, the ultimate treatment would be pregnancy, but if you are not at a place in life where that is possible, that is not really an option.

I was 24 when I had my first laparscopy to diagnose and treat endo. I was having those sharp stinging pains and a lot of pain with my periods. They lasered it out and advised me that I could have future problems trying to get pregnant, but you just cannot tell until you actively try to get pregnant. You could have a lot of endo and have no problem getting pregnant or barely any and have all kinds of trouble, endo is weird like that.

For me, I was not married or in a position to try for a pregnancy until I was 37. It is really hard to rationalize to yourself and to doctors that you want to spend money and have tests and surgical procedures to do things that protect your ability to get pregnant when you are not ready to start trying at the current time. I haven't been able to become pregnant, and I will always wonder if I had actively done things to try to protect my ability to conceive during all those years when I was single, would things have been different for me?

There is a new movement gaining support to teach younger women how to actively protect their fertility so that when they want a family, they will not have a rude surprise. I wish more women would realize this, that I had realized it myself in my 20's. So I say do your best to take care of your endo, but also realize that a lot of this is one big question mark until you are actually ready to try for a pregnancy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

JenRas05 HB User
Re: Endometriosis symptoms returning

Thank you for your reply. I have tried Lupron and it was horrible. I had not only bad hot flashes but my entire body ached really bad. So I had to go off of it, and I even tried The Depo-Provera shot and that caused the same thing so my gyno said that my body probably doesn't react well to progesterone. So she suggested I be on birth control that has a mixture of progesterone and estrogen and I have been and its worked great. So sorry, but I will never go back on Lupron or progesterone shots. But I do want to have another lap to check my status on endo. I told one gyno I've seen in my town that i would like a lap to see if there was any more endo because I want to protect my fertility and she said no. She said she would not recomend a lap and would not give me one because of the complications of surgery and said I should just stay on birth control if I'm worried about protecting my fertility. I dont agree with her and that because birth control is not a cure for endo,...it helps with the pain but you can still get returning endo with being on it. So how is she to know if just staying on birth control will protect my fertility. And a laporoscopy is not that complicated of a surgery to cause a lot of problems or complications. That is exactly why I will have to go back to the gyno who gave me the first lap even though she is a three hour drive away. I know she is the only one who will agree to perform another lap. A laporoscopy is the only true way to know if you have endo and how much is there. If I keep a handle on it now...hopefully in a few years when I try for children I won't have too much trouble. I only had minor endo when I was diagnosed...just a few small spots but I don't know what its like now. I mean I hope the birth control has helped to keep it from growing too much. I just would like to know for sure if you know what i mean.
thanks again for your reply, and sharing your story,
Jenny
( I'm very sorry to hear that you werent able to have children, but I sincerely thank you for sharing your story...hopefully if you continue to share it and spread the word many other young women wont have that horrible surprise later on.)

Last edited by JenRas05; 01-25-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Closed Thread