It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
(female)

kimsquest HB User
44 with endo, done having children, what is the next step

I am 44 years old. I struggled to have a baby, 5 losses and two births, I am blessed to have the two I do.

I had been trying for one more child and in 09 I had my last two losses and after the second loss I had such horrible pain they went in to do a lap to see what was going on. I had a lot of endo / adhesions removed in 09 from my uterus, ovary, bladder, Colan and bowels. The doc was shocked when he went in there and saw what he saw. He cleaned me out best he could and we tried for another couple of years with no success and after my 44th birthday I have come to terms my TTC journey is over.

I have been dealing with the endo for a while and did nothing drastic because I was not ready to give up on having one more. I am now ready and I am taking BCP to try to ease the endo pain, started in Aug so I am still new to this therapy but I feel like it is not working. I still have bad cramps all the time and the "breakthrough bleeding" is horrible... 15 days of heavy clotting and bleeding after the first month and into the second, it just stopped last week. I will continue on this until the end of the pack and see how it goes and if the pain and bleeding do not stop we will look at the next step.

Of course I can try Depo or Lupron, both I am not crazy about as I hear the side effects are horrible and it is a temp fix "if' it works. I can have a lap surgery again to try to clean me out again and then start some kind of hormone therapy and see how I do with that. Or I can go for a hysterectomy and maybe deal with this permanently and do hormone therapy as well.

Since I am done with my ttc journey I am leaning towards the last choice as I have a few friends who have gone this route and they say it was the best thing they have even done for themselves. That even on the recovery table they can feel the difference, the deep low pain of endo was gone and the only thing they felt was the pain from the surgery.

I would love to know what that feels like, the deep pain of cramps all the time, the pain of ovulation and the pain with intercourse. I have issues with IBS as well, I see that is common for people with endo and I wonder if that would also work itself out after surgery.

I would love to talk to women who are in my place and see what they did. Did you do the hormone therapy? Did it work? Did you have the surgery? How do you feel now? Did your endo return after surgery when you added hormones back?

Thanks so much,

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
(female)

Lilacs&Lillies HB User
Re: 44 with endo, done having children, what is the next step

Hi Kim,

I trid Lupron injection first. It was very nice. I knew there are possible side-effects but also learned a lot of the bad rap from endo came from women who hadn't tried it. I did pretty well on it.

The second month on lupron is when it kicked in. Started with a headache then got my first hot flash - but my pain was sooo much better that it was worth the trade in side-effects. It was like being on a menstrual vacation. Loved that part of it!

I had an endometrial ablation and myomectomy later. Those failed, so I finally did end up with a hysterectomy. I had planned to keep 1 ovary, but woke with both gone due to how severely involved they were. Stage IV endo, with a frozen pelvis - dense adhesions throughout.

Yes, my endometriosis did return. I had two more surgeries to remove it. Finally, (knock on wood) it seems pretty quiet 90% of the time now. I also had to have surgery for a cystocele and a rectocele - problably due to the hysterectomy.

All in all, I am pleased iwth the results. Menopause is no picnic though. I don't miss my horrific periods - but I tell ya, I feel like I aged a decade the year I had my hyst.

Good luck to you with your health decision.
Gentle hugs

Old 10-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User
Re: 44 with endo, done having children, what is the next step

I tried everything lap surgery,hormone treatment,depo shots. In the end I had a hysterectomy. I just wished I had gone ahead and done that instead of all the other treatments that just dragged out the whole process.
What a relief. back pain I had had for years which I never thought had anything to do with endo was just gone. Added bonus..
If I had it all to do over again. I would just go ahead and have the Hysterectomy..

Closed Thread