It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

Busymum15 HB User
Hysterctomy

Hi all I have suffered for 15 years with endo problems. I have Tryed lots of treatments but nothing has managed to get rid of the pain.I have now been told the only treatment left is a hysterctomy and I have been given a date for after Xmas . Has anyone on this board had a hysterctomy for endo and heavy painfull periods.I would really welcome any info thanks in advance

Old 12-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
(female)

NCCajun HB User
Re: Hysterctomy

I can't image suffering with that for 15 years. My periods have always been short and painless, then all of a sudden I had a period for 3 months non stop. I didn't even know I had endo or fibroids until they were removed in Aug 2009. But the heavy almost continuous periods, large clots, and pain was still there. I had about 5 or so years until menopause and wasn't going to continue to put up with that or the side effects of hormones. I had my hyster in Feb 2010 and oh so very happy with it. For me, the endo/fibroid removal surgery was a lot harder and more painful. You'll read alot of negative posts, but remember the majority of people who quit having problems don't post anymore. I was anxious, but am delighted with the outcome.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
(female)

Busymum15 HB User
Smile Re: Hysterctomy

Thanks for your reply.Im glad your hysterctomy went well and your very happy with the outcome.I hope my hysterctomy will stop all the pain I have had the endo has really had a big impact on mine and my family's life. I also have had the endo removed a few times over the years but not really improved my endo.My hysterctomy is for after Xmas so fingers crossed it works.I hope you don't mind me asking but did you need hrt after your hysterctomy? I have been told they will keep at least one ovary if possible which would delay menapause.I really appreciate your reply I have not read very many positive posts for hysterctomy for endo .

Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I had a hysterectomy a handful of years ago due to a huge (19 cm) fibroid and bleeding issues associated with it. The hysterectomy (which had to be an abdominal surgery since the fibroid grew so large, so quickly) was the best thing I've ever done. I feel so much better now, don't need to deal with birth control, no anemia, no pain, no pressure. My sex life is better than ever. You have suffered long enough. What date is your surgery?
I hope you will keep us updated. Unfortunately on boards like this (medical forums), usually women who have had a bad experience will share their story. I want you to know it was a wonderful decision for me, and not one I took lightly. I kept one ovary.

Last edited by slenderella; 12-09-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
(female)

NCCajun HB User

I questioned the Dr. about taking ovaries while she was there so I wouldn't have to every worry about ovarian cancer. She said that the benefits of keeping ovaries outweighs any possibility of getting cancer. She too said that letting menopause occur naturally is the best way to go. I was able to have mine laparoscopically, and felt so good that I had to be reminded that I had major surgery and not to over do.

Make sure you have stool softeners on hand, these really help. Also, very comfy and bigger size pants is highly recommended to deal with the bloating and belly button incision. For me, men's boxers did the trick while I was at home. I bought a couple of pants a size larger for when I had to go out in public. I also had to move a few things around in the cabinets and fridge, so I wouldn't strain and stretch too much. Like you're probably doing, I read a lot of posts and took what I thought was good advice and didn't concentrate on the negative comments too much. Good luck and hope yours goes as well as mine.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
(female)

Busymum15 HB User

Thankyou for all your reply's and advice . I'm having my hysterectomy mid jan.

Closed Thread