It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Endometriosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User
Mirena or ablation

Hey, Have to go in for hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsies and my gyne has suggested either inserting mirena coil or doing endometrial ablation at the same time. I suffer from extremely heavy painful periods(suspected endo) and I'm anemic! I've done a little bit of research and found all the usual horror stories on each procedure some Im very unsure which option would be best for me. I know that if either work they are great but no so good if they dont!
The coil worries me due to the side effects it can cause and I dont fancy having 6 months of irratic bleeding (I need to get my iron levels back up asap) and the ablation I believe can cause a lot of pain symptoms afterwards (Im no softy but dont fancy being in more pain than I am now).
Any advice or experiances with either option would be most appreciated.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
(female)

cupcake28 HB User
Re: Mirena or ablation

Hello
i had this done in march 2012, the pain from the surgery took about 2-3 weeks to recover from. Its different for every person. I also had the mirena inserted and have found it to be the best thing ever. I am the type of person to get any and every side effect from medication from antibiotics to the pill. The mirena has caused no issues for me, you need to wait 3-6 months for its full effect, but if you have any problems you can always have it taken out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

Thanks for your reply.
My main concern with the Mirena is the side effects, Im the same I react to everything! I'm thinking I might just try the coil (though the thought of something being inside me doesn't appeal) I suppose it can be removed whereas the ablation once its done its done and your kind of stuck with the effects if it doesnt work.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

Thanks for your reply.
My main concern with the Mirena is the side effects, Im the same I react to everything! I'm thinking I might just try the coil (though the thought of something being inside me doesn't appeal) I suppose it can be removed whereas the ablation once its done its done and your kind of stuck with the effects if it doesnt work.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
(female)

Starissa81 HB User

i do not recoment the mirena, i had one put in 3 years ago and had nothing not cramping pain after about a year with it. I went though 3 different doctors and finally got a great one. I ended up needing it removed with surgery. it had embeded into me. and my doctor is sure that it was like that for a couple of years.

Closed Thread