It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2003, 12:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Angry Organic, 100% cotton sheets cause heart arrhythmia.

Decided to replace my old sheet set with nice, new 100% pesticide free, chemical free, expensive, organic cotton sheet set.

They are top quality. Really made well. Nice and warm. But, if I use them, my heart goes nuts. For the first hour or so, my heart starts to jump and gets more and more irregular. After that, my heart starts to pound harder and harder. If I sleep using them all night, I am weak and exhausted the next two or three days.

Also, after using the new organic sheets, my heart will continue to react badly until I take a shower.

Thankfully, I didn't throw out my old sheets. Anyone ever have a similar experience? If so, or if not, anyone have any idea what I can do to make these sheets more heart friendly?

Old 11-28-2003, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Re: Organic, 100% cotton sheets cause heart arrhythmia.

It sounds like you are having a reaction to somthing in the sheets. I would pitch them before your reaction gets worse. If washing them does not help then nothing will.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2003, 07:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattys
It sounds like you are having a reaction to somthing in the sheets. I would pitch them before your reaction gets worse. If washing them does not help then nothing will.

Good luck
We washed the sheets many, many times. Nothing has worked. In another attempt, we've just soaked them in bleach for two hours, but I'm afraid to try them again, because I don't want to make myself sick again.

They are supposed to be 100% organic cotton. No chemicals, no pesticides used in growing the cotton. I don't mind throwing them out, because I still have the old sheets and they are in good condition, but I'd like to figure it out so I don't make the same mistake on some other purchase.

Thanks for the response....

Old 12-13-2003, 03:36 PM   #4

Corinna_H HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
We washed the sheets many, many times. Nothing has worked. In another attempt, we've just soaked them in bleach for two hours, but I'm afraid to try them again, because I don't want to make myself sick again.

They are supposed to be 100% organic cotton. No chemicals, no pesticides used in growing the cotton. I don't mind throwing them out, because I still have the old sheets and they are in good condition, but I'd like to figure it out so I don't make the same mistake on some other purchase.

Thanks for the response....
How about turning the question upside down, now what DON'T you get with these new sheets?? Were the others 100% cotton? If they were, maybe you are in withdrawal from some chemical and are detoxing?

If your normal sheets are polycotton, then maybe you miss the static it can build up, though the shower would surely discharge static not give it to you.
The reason I wonder about electrical charge is after reading some time back about mild electiciy being used to kill viruses etc, I really can't recall the details and with a husband champing at the bit to get on to the net, i haven't time to look it up! it was called the zapper, I think. Probably a red herring...

Old 12-13-2003, 04:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinna_H
How about turning the question upside down, now what DON'T you get with these new sheets?? Were the others 100% cotton?
Ho Ha! We meet again.

I have an allergy, or sensitivity, to cotton. This is great and wonderful news for me, since every damn thing in this world is made out of cotton!

My other sheets are cotton, also, but they are dyed. I am wondering if, perhaps, the dye is protecting me, somewhat, from the cotton. I do react to my other sheets, but the reaction is not as bad.

Actually my problem with cotton goes a lot futher than just with sheets. But, I wanted to keep this topic simple and hoped that I could find someone else with a significant sensitivity to cotton.

I really believe that many people have a slight sensitivity or allergy to cotton. There are many people that suffer strange ailments and have no idea what is causing their misery. They are constantly in contact with cotton, and never experience what it is like to not be in contact with cotton, so they just don't know that much of their misery is caused, in part, by cotton.

Thanks for your response!

Old 12-14-2003, 02:59 AM   #6

Corinna_H HB User

Hi!

What a pain for you, cotton is so much nicer, too! My suspicion is that it relates more to microscopic bits of loose cotton fluff related to the newness and the old sheets have had this loose stuff long since released and gone. I suppose a tumble dryer would help disperse the fluff but also shrink the sheet.

It is possible that the dye wraps around the fibres but maybe it has had a man made based easy iron finish applied that is more likely to ‘shrink wrap’ the cotton, goodness only knows what they use, but it does make a difference.

Mmmm, you could always indulge in silk sheets! :)

Old 12-22-2003, 07:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

How does your body react to 50/50 blend of cotton polyester? They also sell T shirt cotton sheets, which I found to be more allergic. You have to be sure you are killing the dust mites with hot water and bleach.

Old 12-23-2003, 07:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinna_H
Hi!

Mmmm, you could always indulge in silk sheets!
Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

Silk sheets also give me problems. I am on a mix of heart meds that, I think, are making me very sensitive to almost anything that moves or doesn't move. It has been getting worse lately.

So....... I am slowly weaning myself off of one of the meds that is known to produce heart rhythm disturbances. I've been trying to wean myself off one of the two meds for three years without success. I have finally found a way to do it.

I'll be off the med, hopefully, in two days. It will probably take another week or so for the body to fully respond to the absense of the med. While I am getting off the med, my heart is much more sensitive.

I am hoping that it was the med, or the combination of the two meds, that was causing my reactions to many common items.

Thanks for your concern, and your response!

Those silk sheets are just awaiting for me!

Old 12-23-2003, 07:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by openseason
How does your body react to 50/50 blend of cotton polyester?
Not as bad as with the organic sheets. With a 50/50 blend I can go for a couple of hours before the problems with my heart get too irritating.

Quote:
They also sell T shirt cotton sheets, which I found to be more allergic.
Are you also sensitive to cotton? How do you react to cotton? Do you react to jeans? Shirts?

My reactions are very confusing. Sometimes I can tolerate cotton better than at other times. I think that it is combinational, and I feel that a lot of my problems are directly related to the level of pollution and pollens in the air, and of course the number of different irritants that I have already come into contact with.

Quote:
You have to be sure you are killing the dust mites with hot water and bleach.
One of these days I'm going to capture one of those little dust mites, and deep fry him for lunch!

Thanks for your response.

Old 12-30-2003, 07:23 AM   #10
(male)

bjlauder HB User
Question Re: Organic, 100% cotton sheets cause heart arrhythmia.

Beerzoids-

I've read a lot of your posts... are you and I long lost siblings ? I have been having so much trouble with sinus infections and apparent sensitivities that I'm trying to follow your advice so that I can skip some of the experimental phase of addressing my issues.

I want to ask, did the sinus irrigation seem to diminish any of your chemical sensitivity issues? I've been also looking into colon irrigation, as I've read that a toxic colon might be the reason for many seemingly unrelated issues. Do you know anything about that?

Regardless, I really want to thank you for sharing information. Although I'd never wish these illnesses on anybody, it is good to hear from somebody who has had similar experiences!

Old 12-30-2003, 08:26 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlauder
Beerzoids-

I've read a lot of your posts... are you and I long lost siblings ? I have been having so much trouble with sinus infections and apparent sensitivities that I'm trying to follow your advice so that I can skip some of the experimental phase of addressing my issues.
Where have you been all my life!?

Sorry to hear about your problems. Miserable isn't it? Not many believe your problems, do they? After all, how can someone be sensitive to cotton or other commonly encountered items? I'd like to hear more about your symptoms and what you've gone through, and what meds you are on.

Quote:
I want to ask, did the sinus irrigation seem to diminish any of your chemical sensitivity issues?
Not at all. I know what started my sensitivities. It was a sinus infection that I let go too long without treatment. I just masked the symptoms with a corticosteroid nasal spray. I noticed that, when I had an infection, everything that moved, and everything that didn't move, made my heart go nuts. But, this time, when I got rid of the infection, after letting the infection go for about a year, the sensitivites stayed. That was about eight years ago. I continued to fight chronic sinus infections until about two years ago.

I got rid of my infections two years ago, and with the "upside down sinus flooding", I have not got another one since, and my sinuses have been getting better, and better and better! Apparently, it takes the sinus membranes a long time to heal and get healthy.

I've just got rid of one of my heart meds, a calcium channel blocker. I've noticed that my negative reaction to cotton has just decreased! But, I haven't tried the 100% pure organic cotton sheets yet. I've got to build up the courage. They made me very, very sick before. Any kind of smoke is still making my heart go nuts, so I know that my sensitivities aren't totally gone, yet.

Quote:
I've been also looking into colon irrigation, as I've read that a toxic colon might be the reason for many seemingly unrelated issues. Do you know anything about that?
Not at all. If you try it, please let me know if it does any good. Personally, I think that my problems are all related to my immune system. I have an acupuncture machine that I am currently using in an attempt to fix my sensitivities.

Quote:
Regardless, I really want to thank you for sharing information. Although I'd never wish these illnesses on anybody, it is good to hear from somebody who has had similar experiences!
Partners in misery. I can think of better things I'd want to share with someone else!

What do you think about the "upside down sinus flooding" with peroxide and baking soda? Have you followed along on the Allergies » How I fixed my sinus problems. (Updated version of "upside down" irrigation) thread: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=129210[/url]

James123, darkman and becky123 are right now currently fighting against their chronic infection problems, after years of frustration. They are having different degrees of success, but at least, as darkman says, he has hope for the first time in years!

I'll stop with what I've written so far. I'd like to exchange ideas. Perhaps between us we can come up with some way to relieve these damn sensitivities.

Have you gone to any of the MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivities) forums on the Internet?

Last edited by Machaon; 12-30-2003 at 08:29 AM.

Old 12-30-2003, 08:46 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

bjlauder, I'm going to read through your other posts, on Healthboards. I'll probably get some of the answers to my questions about your sensitivites there.

Last edited by Machaon; 12-30-2003 at 08:47 AM.

Closed Thread