It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Smile Detergents and fabric softeners were killing me.

We have stopped washing our clothes, towels and bedding in detergents and fabric softeners, and now use baking soda instead of detergent, and white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide for softening and to reduce clinging.

The results........ No longer waking up during the night with chest pains and a tight chest. Much more stable heart beat. Overall, I'm feeling much better. Much less fatigue, and more energy.

Does anyone know a good, safe clothes softener. The towels are still a little rough. Better rough than contain a bunch of chemicals that are spreading all over one's skin after a shower.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:04 PM   #2
Inactive

woodturner HB User
Re: Detergents and fabric softeners were killing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
We have stopped washing our clothes, towels and bedding in detergents and fabric softeners, and now use baking soda instead of detergent, and white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide for softening and to reduce clinging.

The results........ No longer waking up during the night with chest pains and a tight chest. Much more stable heart beat. Overall, I'm feeling much better. Much less fatigue, and more energy.

Does anyone know a good, safe clothes softener. The towels are still a little rough. Better rough than contain a bunch of chemicals that are spreading all over one's skin after a shower.
If you live where you have good, outside air, hang your towels outside. Sun and wind produce wonderful smelling towels that are really pleasing to the touch.

Also we have been using Country Save laundry detergent with no adverse reactions. This is usually available at a health food store, but not at the supermarket.

woodturner

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner
If you live where you have good, outside air, hang your towels outside. Sun and wind produce wonderful smelling towels that are really pleasing to the touch.

Also we have been using Country Save laundry detergent with no adverse reactions. This is usually available at a health food store, but not at the supermarket.

woodturner
I mentioned hanging up towels outside to my wife, instead of using the dryer.

Would you like me to tell you what she said?

I can't believe how well I am doing, now that we have washed ALL of our sheets, socks, clothes, towels, etc., using baking soda. I've been fighting heart disease for many years. We've removed all of our wall to wall carpetting, we keep our place almost dust free, we use very few chemicals, no perfumes, and I have a very restricted diet.

I have to read the newspaper and most mail with special gloves or it causes my BP to soar and my heart to go nuts, with rapid beats, tight chest and chest pains. I often have to sleep in a leather recliner without covers just to get through the night without chest pains and palpitations.

Last night, with the newly washed, in baking soda, sheets, I slept very well, and did not get a tight chest in the middle of the night.

By far, the worst offender was the towels. I think that, when one wipes a chemically ladened towel against wet skin, it makes it easier for the chemicals to penetrate the skin.

Thanks for the tip on the "Country Save laundry detergent". I'll look into it.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:12 PM   #4
Inactive

woodturner HB User

Quote:
I mentioned hanging up towels outside to my wife, instead of using the dryer.

Would you like me to tell you what she said?

I can't believe how well I am doing, now that we have washed ALL of our sheets, socks, clothes, towels, etc., using baking soda. I've been fighting heart disease for many years. We've removed all of our wall to wall carpetting, we keep our place almost dust free, we use very few chemicals, no perfumes, and I have a very restricted diet.

I have to read the newspaper and most mail with special gloves or it causes my BP to soar and my heart to go nuts, with rapid beats, tight chest and chest pains. I often have to sleep in a leather recliner without covers just to get through the night without chest pains and palpitations.

Last night, with the newly washed, in baking soda, sheets, I slept very well, and did not get a tight chest in the middle of the night.

By far, the worst offender was the towels. I think that, when one wipes a chemically ladened towel against wet skin, it makes it easier for the chemicals to penetrate the skin.

Thanks for the tip on the "Country Save laundry detergent". I'll look into it.
Perhaps if you suggested hanging towels as an activity you and your wife could do together? But maybe that would not fly either.

Yes, paper is nasty stuff. I notice it affecting how well I can think and it causes the skin on my hands to crack and start bleeding. Some paper seems to be much worse than others. I read the mail wearing gloves and a mask that has a carbon filter. Inconvenient, but keeps the head clear.

Do you know about coenzyme Q10? It is a nutrient that everyone with or without heart trouble should be taking. I can tell you more about that if you want to know.

woodturner

Last edited by woodturner; 02-24-2004 at 08:14 PM.

Old 02-25-2004, 05:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Perhaps if you suggested hanging towels as an activity you and your wife could do together? But maybe that would not fly either.
I don't think that I will suggest that to my wife. It's not that I am totally against the idea of being committed to an asylum, I am just not ready right now.

Quote:
Yes, paper is nasty stuff. I notice it affecting how well I can think and it causes the skin on my hands to crack and start bleeding. Some paper seems to be much worse than others. I read the mail wearing gloves and a mask that has a carbon filter. Inconvenient, but keeps the head clear.
Coated paper bothers me, even with gloves. I haven't tried wearing a mask while reading. Uncoated paper also bothers me, but not all the time. I don't know if it is the actual paper, or chemicals in the paper, or the ink.

The worst paper is carbonless paper.

Do you have more problems at any particular time of day? I am much more sensitive at night.

For someone like you, or me, who is significantly and immediately effected by chemicals, at least we can take the steps to protect ourselves. I feel sorry for all of the children, who suffer silently from all kinds of misery, not knowing that the clothes that their parents are putting on their bodies, or the blankets under which they are tucked in at night, are causing them to be sick.

When did you first find out that you were sensitive to paper?

Quote:
Do you know about coenzyme Q10? It is a nutrient that everyone with or without heart trouble should be taking. I can tell you more about that if you want to know.
woodturner
I had used Q10 for about 10 years. I've stopped taking it because it interacts badly with my current medicine.

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions.

Last edited by Machaon; 02-25-2004 at 05:50 AM.

Old 02-25-2004, 05:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Night three without fabric softener.

Last night was the third night without being in contact with fabric softener or laundry detergent. I also use baking soda and water as a deodorant, and brush my teeth in the morning with hydrogen peroxide and in the evening with baking soda.

Once again, I slept all night, woke up without a tight chest, without chest pains, without palpitations, and without feeling tired and beaten up. My blood pressure readings are lower than normal.

I can't do much about the poisonous gases in our air, from automobile exhausts and sewer exhaust stacks coming out of everyone's home, but at least I can protect myself and my family from some of the chemicals that are marketed as safe for our health, but can be very dangerous.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:00 PM   #7
Inactive

woodturner HB User

Quote:
Coated paper bothers me, even with gloves. I haven't tried wearing a mask while reading. Uncoated paper also bothers me, but not all the time. I don't know if it is the actual paper, or chemicals in the paper, or the ink.

The worst paper is carbonless paper.

Do you have more problems at any particular time of day? I am much more sensitive at night.

For someone like you, or me, who is significantly and immediately effected by chemicals, at least we can take the steps to protect ourselves. I feel sorry for all of the children, who suffer silently from all kinds of misery, not knowing that the clothes that their parents are putting on their bodies, or the blankets under which they are tucked in at night, are causing them to be sick.

When did you first find out that you were sensitive to paper?
I have never noticed any correlation betweenthe time of day I handle paper and the severity or lack of reaction. But there may be something to that.

I think I first began to be aware of my reaction to paper 2 or 3 years ago. My wife has a good nose and can often smell the bad paper even though I may not be able to. But if I handle the paper, I can feel my fingers start to buzzing or tingling. Within about 5 minutes I often develop bleeding cracks on my finger tips. With that short a time span between exposure and reaction, it is easy to draw the conclusion that paper is the culprit.

I agree about the children being subjected to these exposures. Something I was reading recently was talking about toxic residues found in dust in homes. (Must have been an article in Our Toxic Times). The researchers were finding elevated levels of DDT even though it has not been in use for a number of years.

Sorry to hear about you not being able to use CoQ10. I love the stuff as it seems to help immensely with getting toxins out of my system.

Old 02-26-2004, 08:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I think I first began to be aware of my reaction to paper 2 or 3 years ago.
Do you have any idea what triggered your sensitivity? From your nickname, have you worked around wood for a long time?

Quote:
My wife has a good nose and can often smell the bad paper even though I may not be able to.
Does the smell of the paper bother you in any way?

My wife is very understanding. At least your wife can see the bad reaction. My wife has had to accept that, if I put on the wrong shirt, it might make me sick, depending up the level of pollens and pollutants in the air, or depending upon other irritants that I might have come into contact with recently.

Quote:
But if I handle the paper, I can feel my fingers start to buzzing or tingling. Within about 5 minutes I often develop bleeding cracks on my finger tips. With that short a time span between exposure and reaction, it is easy to draw the conclusion that paper is the culprit.
Have you found others with the same type of reaction? It is very frustrating when one has a reaction, and finds that it is not very common. For instance, I was suffering from a very strong heartbeat, which would continue to thump hard for hours. I finally found out that, if I consumed food that contained calcium, within two hours of taking my Digoxin, or my Verapamil, it would cause a long session of heart thumping. If I ask others about this relationship between calcium products and those two meds, I get absolutely no one that has gotten the same reaction.

Also, I get increased heart rhythm problems and blood pressure problems, when I wear new clothes, or new sheets, rather than old ones. I find very little info on this type of reaction.

Quote:
I agree about the children being subjected to these exposures. Something I was reading recently was talking about toxic residues found in dust in homes. (Must have been an article in Our Toxic Times). The researchers were finding elevated levels of DDT even though it has not been in use for a number of years.

Sorry to hear about you not being able to use CoQ10. I love the stuff as it seems to help immensely with getting toxins out of my system.
I think that we trust the system too much. We trust that restaurants are going to serve us food that has been prepared in a healthy and clean manner. We trust that doctors are going to prescribe the correct meds for our conditions. We trust that manufacturers are not going to use chemicals that can be harmful to our health. We even trusted the cigarette makers when they advertised that cigarettes were good for our health, and that they weren't going to add addictive and dangerous chemicals to the cigarettes.

I sure hope that, someday, you find a solution to your paper sensitivity. Does any other material, or product, give you a similar bad reaction?

Old 02-26-2004, 04:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Night four, no Detergents or fabric softeners in clothes or bedding.

I've gone through four nights without contacting any clothes or bedding with the chemicals from detergents or fabric softener.

It seems like my systolic BP is somewhat higher, and my diastolic BP is somewhat lower. Since it is only four days/nights, I won't consider that a significant change until the BP change has continued for a month or more.

I've had significant heart disease for about 20 years. My heart is now beating much better than normal. Usually my heart would jump and skip beats constantly. While my heart is not beating completely normal, it is much more stable and relaxed than it has been in a long time.

I would often wake up in the middle of the night with chest pains, a weak rapid beat, and a tight chest. Now, for four nights, I have slept through the night and wake up refreshed.

Just recently, I had gone through some very bad days, where my symptoms were really getting bad. I was feeling very weak and sick. That is why I tried something as drastic as washing everything with baking soda, although I felt that it would be a total waste of time.

Now, instead of being depressed and sick, I really feel much better.

Just wanted to pass on this info, just in case it could help others.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:48 PM   #10
Inactive

woodturner HB User

This is great news!

Old 02-27-2004, 04:34 PM   #11
Inactive

Qaiphyxx HB User

Could be histadelia, I have the same problem with fabric softeners, not soaps though from what I know... anyways try taking an antihistamine and see how that helps. If it does help, let me know and ill give you all the info that you need to know about histadelia.

Old 02-27-2004, 05:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaiphyxx
Could be histadelia, I have the same problem with fabric softeners, not soaps though from what I know... anyways try taking an antihistamine and see how that helps. If it does help, let me know and ill give you all the info that you need to know about histadelia.
Thanks for the info. I looked up histadelia. It's an interesting disease. It reminds me of how many different, complex things can go wrong with our bodies.

I'll try an antihistamine, as long as it doesn't interfere with my heart meds. Thanks!

I can't believe the improvement in my health and heart, just by getting rid of fabric softeners and detergents. I've still got a very sick heart, but at least it is beating much better, I am getting less chest pain, less difficulty breathing, less weakness, more energy.

It's hard to believe that something like fabric softener, which is sold in every store in America, can cause such health problems! I would imagine that most people don't get sick from it, only the chemically sensitive, but I don't really know.

Thanks again for pointing out a possible link to histadelia. It is certainly worth researching.

Regards, and good health.

Old 02-27-2004, 05:18 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
This is great news!
Thanks!

Regarding your reaction to paper, do you get the same reaction to other items besides paper?

Old 02-27-2004, 06:31 PM   #14
Inactive

woodturner HB User

Quote:
Do you have any idea what triggered your sensitivity? From your nickname, have you worked around wood for a long time?

Does the smell of the paper bother you in any way?

My wife is very understanding. At least your wife can see the bad reaction. My wife has had to accept that, if I put on the wrong shirt, it might make me sick, depending up the level of pollens and pollutants in the air, or depending upon other irritants that I might have come into contact with recently.

Have you found others with the same type of reaction? It is very frustrating when one has a reaction, and finds that it is not very common. For instance, I was suffering from a very strong heartbeat, which would continue to thump hard for hours. I finally found out that, if I consumed food that contained calcium, within two hours of taking my Digoxin, or my Verapamil, it would cause a long session of heart thumping. If I ask others about this relationship between calcium products and those two meds, I get absolutely no one that has gotten the same reaction.

Also, I get increased heart rhythm problems and blood pressure problems, when I wear new clothes, or new sheets, rather than old ones. I find very little info on this type of reaction.

I think that we trust the system too much. We trust that restaurants are going to serve us food that has been prepared in a healthy and clean manner. We trust that doctors are going to prescribe the correct meds for our conditions. We trust that manufacturers are not going to use chemicals that can be harmful to our health. We even trusted the cigarette makers when they advertised that cigarettes were good for our health, and that they weren't going to add addictive and dangerous chemicals to the cigarettes.

I sure hope that, someday, you find a solution to your paper sensitivity. Does any other material, or product, give you a similar bad reaction?
As you can guess from my name, I am a woodturner. I have been turning since I was about 12 or maybe younger. I was at least large enough to stand infront of the lathe and hold the tools.

Yes the smell of some papers bothers me. I discovered that the smell of many chemicals affect my sense of good judgement, certain papers among them. About three years ago, I was in the shop the morning after attending a Master Craftsmen's Guild meeting and stuck a 1/4" chisel into my hand. I just didn't have the good sense to do things safely as I ALWAYS DO otherwise. So loss of work time also figures into what paper, perfumes and other chemicals do to me. Now, I don't go near my tools after toxic exposures or if my head has that unconnected feeling.

I do not know the probabilities of this, but my wife, my two children and I are all chemically sensitive. Looking back, I am inclined to believe my father was also chemically sensitive, though no one thought anything about such issues in those days. So I would guess there is some genetic tendency at least on my part. However, I would guess that my life on the farm (36 years) and being exposed to a number of toxic ...cides, diesel and gasoline have also played a role. I can still smell the chemical on treated seed when ever I think about it.

I agree about our (society at large) trust being an part of why we live in such a polluted environment. I am quite adamant that the best thing we can do is to take responsibility for our own health every way we can. Maybe it is easier to put that responsibility in the hands of the medical or industrial "experts." But look where it has gotten us. I do not mean to say that one can't gain valuable information from the doctor or the chemical engineer etc. But at the end, it is my life, my body, my reaction to chemicals etc. I pay the doctor for his good advice, if I go to the doctor, so I can make informed decisions that are going to affect what is my responsibility. Many people act (and maybe the medical profession encourages such and maybe it doesn't) as though they belonged to the doctor. "The doc says do this, so I blindly do accordingly," is not an attitude I can swallow.

Hope I have answered your question,

Woodturner

Old 02-27-2004, 06:33 PM   #15
Inactive

Qaiphyxx HB User

Yah no problem, as for your heart problem, Im not sure what is wrong but if its a weak heart or something you should look in to Coenzyme Q10, like that person mentioned earlier, but on top of that, I would recommend ginkgo biloba, it thins the blood and causes organs including the brain to use oxygen 5 times more effeciently, and then you could look in to herbal vaso dialators such as quercetin, and grape seed extract(which also improves circulation all around, not sure how). If you do find that you have histadelia, like I do, then you should probably avoid ginkgo biloba until you get your histamine levels down to normal. Ginkgo biloba can cause your adrenaline levels to spike, so in conjuction with excess histamine which causes high levels of adrenaline, it can lead to panic attacks, it did in me. There is a good site called The Analyst that talks about histadelia, just search histadelia at yahoo.com and it should be listed at the top with the first words Diagnose me, that should help you decide if you might want to look into it more.

Oh and im not sure what medications you take so like you said you would do with antihistamines, also do with the herbs that I recommended, that is, talk to your doctor and see if he thinks its ok.

Bronson

Last edited by Qaiphyxx; 02-27-2004 at 06:39 PM.

Closed Thread