It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 10:39 AM   #1

Freznic HB User
Question Stomach problems and Mold

Can mold and/or mold spores cause internal (abdominal) allergies or sensitivities? It doesn't seem likely, but a friend of mine suggested that this kind of reaction might be another way the body reacts to allergens... instead of a "hay fever" type response, you might see a lactose- or wheat-intolerance-type response to the airborn allergen.

Anybody have thoughts?

Old 07-13-2004, 08:50 AM   #2

bggmm HB User
Re: Stomach problems and Mold

Yes, Yes, Yes, Freznic. If you are allergic to molds, like I am, it can cause nausea, intestinal problems, dizziness and an allergic cough when in the presence of mold(s). Having been tested for a slew of allergies years ago, when mold was injected I had a severe enough reaction (like someone had punched me in the head which began to cause loss of conciousness) that the doc had to give me an injection to get me out of it. Investigate your symptoms further and seek some type of treatment before you lose many hours, and days, to feeling miserable.

I gave myself injections twice a day for two years; they helped about fifty per cent. But this was before the serious house problem that I wrote about (below). Allergy meds (non-drowsy type) help only so much, and the brands that make one drowsy work wonderfully, but I cannot tolerate the other symptom (racing heart). Though, they may be the perfect type for you.

Living w/grass and trees, to which I'm allergic, with ongoing damp soil surrounding my home exacerbates my physical discomfort as I love to be outside but get too sick. It's awful!

My home is half above ground and half below, w/the lower level consisting of concrete floors, and cinderblock and concrete walls--the worst type. The crawl space, which is under the foyer, is the area that tenaciously holds the strong damp odor that seeps into and permeates the family rm & den. For the past 5 yrs., I've had a dehumidifier running in front of the crawl space door, periodically placing it inside the space for a 24 hour period. It's a large machine that fills to the top of the water tank twice a day, giving you an idea of the amount of dampness in that area. When it rains, it takes quite a few days of sunny weather to dilute the odor with the dehumidifier running!

On Thursday I'm having work done to the crawl space that, hopefully, will reduce the problem to where I can go downstairs and not start to cough a few minutes after I'm in the room.

Good luck in finding relief, and please post your updates

Marlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freznic
Can mold and/or mold spores cause internal (abdominal) allergies or sensitivities? It doesn't seem likely, but a friend of mine suggested that this kind of reaction might be another way the body reacts to allergens... instead of a "hay fever" type response, you might see a lactose- or wheat-intolerance-type response to the airborn allergen.

Anybody have thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2004, 07:11 PM   #3

SHANNONLEE HB User
Re: Stomach problems and Mold

I am going threw some mediacal problems and I swear it is from the mold in my home. I am dizzy everyday,have tummy issues,and I am always clearing my throat. I have had so many medical tests done to rule anything bad out and all has been good. I actually go to the doc. tomarrow to see what she thinks of my idea on the mold. I have had this for 7 months now and I have lived here for 9....

Closed Thread