It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2004, 07:17 AM   #1

PajamaMomma HB User
Exclamation Could mold/mildew be causing this??

When I moved into my apartment, I noticed some greenish stains under my kitchen disposal... but didn't think much of it. A few months later I noticed a nasty smell and realized that the bucket under my sink that held cleaning products was partly filled w/ moldy water. I had maint. come, and they replaced my disposal because it was leaking and clogged, and could not be fixed. Now, under my sink on the boards there is a green, black and blueish film, which is smelly and drawing gnats into my kitchen (icky!). I had maint. come back and check it out. They say it's just stained, and not a health hazard - but I don't believe that.
The last couple months I have noticed that I'm getting throat and nasal congestion and sometimes a runny nose more than usual. Also, my 3 yr old has been having bouts w/ vomiting and diarrhea about twice a month for no appearant reason. I also have an 8 yr old who is medically fragile, that seems to be coughing alot more than normal. Could any of theese problems possibly be caused by the mold under my sink? My 3 yr old tends to open and close the cabinet door under the sink alot (there are no handles, and there is no magnetic lock, and we are not permitted to put one on), but my other child is never even near it. Obviously, I am near it alot while working in the kitchen.
Maint. refuses to replace the boards or do anything about it. I feel this is a health hazard! What do you all think? Should I call the health department or housing authority in my area? I know this was a long post...thanks to all who took the time to read it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
(male)

bjlauder HB User
Exclamation Re: Could mold/mildew be causing this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMomma
When I moved into my apartment, I noticed some greenish stains under my kitchen disposal... but didn't think much of it. A few months later I noticed a nasty smell and realized that the bucket under my sink that held cleaning products was partly filled w/ moldy water. I had maint. come, and they replaced my disposal because it was leaking and clogged, and could not be fixed. Now, under my sink on the boards there is a green, black and blueish film, which is smelly and drawing gnats into my kitchen (icky!). I had maint. come back and check it out. They say it's just stained, and not a health hazard - but I don't believe that.
The last couple months I have noticed that I'm getting throat and nasal congestion and sometimes a runny nose more than usual. Also, my 3 yr old has been having bouts w/ vomiting and diarrhea about twice a month for no appearant reason. I also have an 8 yr old who is medically fragile, that seems to be coughing alot more than normal. Could any of theese problems possibly be caused by the mold under my sink? My 3 yr old tends to open and close the cabinet door under the sink alot (there are no handles, and there is no magnetic lock, and we are not permitted to put one on), but my other child is never even near it. Obviously, I am near it alot while working in the kitchen.
Maint. refuses to replace the boards or do anything about it. I feel this is a health hazard! What do you all think? Should I call the health department or housing authority in my area? I know this was a long post...thanks to all who took the time to read it!
Housing Authority? Are you in public housing or Section 8? If yes, I WOULD call the Housing Authority, but only after making a request to the property management company in writing!!! Maintenance guys don't know anything about the health concerns of families, but property managers do... and if they claim not to know, they are either dishonest or stupid. It's MUCH cheaper for them to clean up the mess then to have a legal battle. The Housing Authority will also demand that they make the repairs needed. Use the Health Department as a last resort. They can shut the place down and send you packing... and while the Housing Authority may allow you to find another place to live if the Health Department closes your place down, it's a huge pain!

Please understand that this is just my opinion, but I was a property manager for a federally funded program and I am also a sufferer of some sort of apartment-related chemical/allergen!

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2004, 07:54 AM   #3
(male)

bjlauder HB User
Exclamation Re: Could mold/mildew be causing this??

Quote:
By the way, get your sons and yourself out of there if you are all having health problems. Iíve thought of leaving my place, and did leave an apartment before, when I was having trouble. My wife and 2 year old daughter donít seem to be having trouble, so I am not overly concerned. I think your case is different.

Remember a good property manager will want to prevent health problems as well as legal ones. This goes for the clean up and repairs, but it also goes for a formal request to install cabinet latches. It is crazy for a P.M. to deny such a request when a childís health hangs in the balance!!! Additionally, a good maintenance person is good at maintenance, not decision-makingÖ and will try to limit the amount of work he or she has to do. Go directly to the decision-maker!!!

Old 07-16-2004, 07:58 AM   #4

PajamaMomma HB User
Re: Could mold/mildew be causing this??

Thanks for the reply! No, I don't live in public housing or have section 8. I live in an apartment with quite a high rent rate. I should have been more clear - when I wrote housing authority, I meant the local housing commision or whoever takes care of these matters.
Right after I made that post, I called the rental office again. They are sending yet another maintenance person over to look at the problem. Hopefully, this time something will be done about it!

Old 07-16-2004, 08:07 AM   #5
(male)

bjlauder HB User

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! No, I don't live in public housing or have section 8. I live in an apartment with quite a high rent rate. I should have been more clear - when I wrote housing authority, I meant the local housing commision or whoever takes care of these matters.
Right after I made that post, I called the rental office again. They are sending yet another maintenance person over to look at the problem. Hopefully, this time something will be done about it!
Good! Document all of your requests and take pictures (important). If you are paying high rent (as I am), your P.M. should expect that you do not want to live with stains and mold/mildew. I'm afraid that you will get no where with maintenance until you can make the P.M. understand!

I am not familiar with a local housing commission in my area. So I guess I'd call the BBB. Perhaps you can call your housing commission and ask for advice without bringing the governmental rath down on your landlord!

Again, good luck!

Old 07-16-2004, 08:09 AM   #6

PajamaMomma HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlauder
By the way, get your sons and yourself out of there if you are all having health problems. Iíve thought of leaving my place, and did leave an apartment before, when I was having trouble. My wife and 2 year old daughter donít seem to be having trouble, so I am not overly concerned. I think your case is different.

Remember a good property manager will want to prevent health problems as well as legal ones. This goes for the clean up and repairs, but it also goes for a formal request to install cabinet latches. It is crazy for a P.M. to deny such a request when a childís health hangs in the balance!!! Additionally, a good maintenance person is good at maintenance, not decision-makingÖ and will try to limit the amount of work he or she has to do. Go directly to the decision-maker!!!
It seems that only my husband is having no health concerns...just me and the kids We are currently looking for a new place. Our lease is up in September, so we're stuck here until then. So, I'm hoping that they will get this cleaned up now, and then we can go ahead and move in the fall... and the next people to rent this apartment will not have to deal w/ it aswell.

Old 07-21-2004, 07:09 AM   #7

PajamaMomma HB User

UPDATE:
Well, rental management would NOT come look at the problem themselves! They sent one of the maint. guys over, just yesterday (sure took them long enough, along w/my 2 more visits to the office!). His solution was just to paint over it!! Geez! Not only is the board under my sink covered in mold and mildew, but it's also warped from the moisture, it's bowed in and swelled out...the cabinet door won't even close completely due to it. I'm tired of calling, going into the rental office, even putting it in writing, so all I can say now is "screw it!!". Sice we are moving out of here in September I'm not wasting the energy to fight w/them and bring in higher powers. I have enough to deal w/as it is. So, my husband is getting the supplies next weekend and totally replacing the boards himself. I guess if you want something done right you've got to do it yourself. I've had enough of my kids and I getting sick from (most likely) this mess. But, a few weeks before we move we are contacting the BBB about this, and letting them know what has occured...including the fact that my hubby had to fix it himself. I'm just greatful that we will be out of here!

Old 07-28-2004, 07:50 AM   #8

wvfirefly HB User

Did you know you can sue your landlord (PM) for mold in a place that you are renting? Mold can cause very harmful, lasting damage in a person. The Environmental Protection Agency is even against mold in houses. You are just experiencing the first of many symptoms that can be caused by mold. I rented a house through our housing authority while my husband was unemployed that had a huge mold problem. By the time we were able to move out, my kids were having nose bleeds and my daughter was put on asthma medication. Thank God we are returning to normal now. My housing authority told me that not one speck of mold is allowed in the houses they rent because it is such a health hazard. They didn't know about the problem until I reported it. It can be a very dangerous thing. I hope things turn out well and that you are able to find another place in September.

Old 08-26-2004, 12:00 AM   #9

exacto HB User

These greenish-black "stains" could be Stachybotris mold which nearly ruined my life and has killed some 100 people (mostly children) in the USA. There have been several national news cases involving Stachybotris, including Ed Mcmahon (Johnny Carson). I was exposed to it on and off for three years and wound up with nerve damage affecting my thinking and my heart. Doctors looked at me with a smile, like I was kidding. Even an Infectious Disease doctor wasn't familiar with Stachybotris! It's insane. The CDC has been keeping tabs on Stachybotris for a couple years. A neurologist did determine I have permanent nerve damage from "something" but knew not what. Even though I told him I believed it was Stachybotris, he seemed indifferent to my diagnosing myself. But did nothing to pursue the cause!

Get out of your house immediately. Hire a firm to test for Stachybotris. It can be killed/removed, and that should be the duty of your landlord.

Old 09-28-2004, 01:23 PM   #10
(female)

alltaurus HB User

I had the same problem with an apartment I lived in, I don't believe green mold is the problem. I think my apartment had both black and green mold. I could only see the green.

I finally got so sick my throat closed up, broke my lease (They had a lot of other problems there to) took pictures and threatend them with the city inspectors and health dept if they persued me! I've been healthy since.

Old 11-14-2004, 10:44 PM   #11

badjammagrandma HB User

Hi i have also delt w/mold issues a good site that could help is [url]www.prolabinc.com.you[/url] can order tests and do it your self ect .check it out.And arm yourself for other places that you will be living in. good luck...badjammagramma

Closed Thread