It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #1
Inactive

Nettle HB User
Anyone Know of Any Fragrance-Free workplaces?

I'm at my wits end right now. I get headaches triggered by my coworkers' fragrances every working day and I have no clue of any resources listing companies with fragrance-free policies. I've searched on the internet, emailed monster.com, called OSHA as well as specific companies I've been interested in. I've had NO luck so far. I'm extremely frustrated at the importance of something so superficial as fragrance and question ANY tangible benefit fragrance adds to justify its existence in workplaces.

If anyone has any knowledge of web links or phone numbers of organizations that would have info on workplaces with fragrance-free policies, it would greatly be appreciated if you'd share the info.

Cheers,

Nettle (my first post)

Old 04-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
Inactive

opielonghorn HB User
Re: Anyone Know of Any Fragrance-Free workplaces?

hi nettle
i don't have the specific information you requested, but i know that in my workplace, if someone complains to h.r. about fragrances h.r. is then obliged to send a memo/e-mail asking people to refrain from wearing it, or at least toning it down. of course, very few people comply, but some do, and it does help.

it is so toxic and i can't believe people don't realize it. sometimes i feel so sick i have to get out of the place. it really is gross.
good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
Inactive

Nettle HB User

Hi opielonghorn,

I have let HR know about my sensitivity and they haven't alleviated my problem. Frankly, those in our HR dept have been some of the worst offenders. But I'm very sensitive and even a little fragrance can trigger a bad reaction, so I really need a work environment that is "free and clear" of fragrance.

Regards,

Nettle

Old 04-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #4
(female)

GirlWihAProlem HB User

Ipsos Reid has a no perfume policy or at least the one in Edmonton so I think all branches do.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:52 PM   #5
Inactive

Nettle HB User

Hi GirlWihAProlem,

I live in the US and unfortunately the US is NOT as progressive as Canada on fragrance-free issues.

But hopefully your post might help some who are chemically sensitive in Canada.

Thanks

Nettle

Old 05-14-2005, 09:20 AM   #6
(female)

derby HB User

I have just read your post. I, as well, suffer from sensitivty to perfumes and colognes. It is amazing how insensitve others can be. On the other hand, some people can be so understanding when they see how severe a reaction can be. The ladies I curently work with are so good about not wearing any. I can't see anything changing anytime soon. It seems like even younger and younger children are wearing scent. It seems everywhere we go there is scents. Dressing rooms, cars, restuarants etc. Maybe someday, this will be considered a health issue/concern for those of us that suffer. I hope your co-workers have been more thoughtful. Afterall, it is a type of disability. Asthma attacks can be life threating and scent CAN be a trigger for some. Best wishes!

Old 07-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Nettie, I don't think you should have to find another job. I think your employer is obligated to provide a safe and healthy workplace for the employees. Perhaps, you can get your dr. to write to your employer letting them know about your allergies and how fragrance is hazardous to your health. At least, they have something official and don't think you are just complaining. They would then have been notified of your condition and make sure they don't start discriminating against you either. And, if it continues wihout any change, I would think you can file for workman's comp - afterall, you got sick from workplace.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:42 AM   #8
(female)

thepenster060 HB User

I have that problem too, but only with one scent........patchouli !
I can't stand it. It gives me an automatic headache, and makes me sick to my stomach. If somebody around me is wearing it, i have to get away asap.

Closed Thread