It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

Dianna116 HB User
Unhappy Sensitivity to all odors and smells.

I cannot be around anything with a scent. Can anyone tell me if they have this same problem. Perfume, any chemicals, any petroleum base product, bar soap, laundry soap, smoke, cleaners, anything and I feel like someone hits me with a baseball bat in my forehead. My right arm goes dead and just pains for hours. I have lost most of my strength in that arm. All the nerves in my mouth will throub. My cat scan on my nose was fine. I cannot go anywhere and I am in pain from smelling something. I worked in a PVC plastic plant when this started. The PVC was toxic when burnt and I was breathing it in. The neurologist put me on Topamax. Expensive, and you don't even know who you are when on it. He said he has seen several people with this problem and it affects one side of the body. I read where an ENT doctor can put a light in your nose and check you. Does anyone know what he is looking at or for? I mostly stay at home because everywhere I go I am in pain from smelling something. Would appreciate any info from someone.

Last edited by Dianna116; 05-27-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
Re: Sensitivity to all odors and smells.

Hi Dianna! You are not alone! I first noticed how sensitive I was to scents of all kinds about 15 years ago and everything would make me so headachy, choked up and nauseous. This was before they called it multiple chemical sensitivity. I thought I was losing my mind and the first time I noticed it was when I quit smoking back in 1992 for the first time. I really became quite sick as if my body rejected everything in the present tense except for cigarettes. After numerous attempts through the years of quitting (let's hope I have it right this time!), the doctors have had me on Topamax at the present and I hate it. It was good for about 4 days and I am nauseous, have no appetite and feel like I'm in the twilight zone. I can't take a lot of meds anymore anyway and the pdoc put me on 50 mg. I can hardly tolerate 25! My allergist gave me suggestions for a histamine reduced and elimination diet, try to keep my home as allergen free as possible. As far as an intranasal test, I have to say I am ignorant of the factand hope someone else can come to the board and share. My heart goes out to you as I know what it is to suffer. God bless and I pray that you are comfortable--Take care--Hopeto

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
(female)

Rosanne54 HB User

Do either of you gals have chronic fatigue syndrone or any other diagnosis?
Have you been exposed to any mold or toxins that you are aware of?

I developed MCS also but its common when you have been exposed to chemicals from ruptured breast implants and mold like I have. That is just one of my ailments. Uhhh!
I never found anyone in traditional medicine who could help me much with
any of these type of symptoms.

Wishing you both good luck!

Old 06-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
(male)

eatnow HB User

I have hte same problem, but mine seems to make me anxiety when i smell most offensive/strong odors like perfume, lotion, laundry products, oh basically eveyrthing you can't avoid really. . However I mainly get trouble breathing because of those odors and a severe stuffy nose. I've read stories where peole claim anti-depressents may acutally help us cause tis supposedly all in our head from some disorder. I've tried a few anti-depresseants and taht didn't seem to work. For all of you with MCS, is yours year round and sometimes your tolerance is acutally better and sometimes worse? For me it seems as though sometimes i can sort of deal with some odors and other times it will drive me nuts. Most times when i bring MCS with a doctor, most won't know what it is or heard of it.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I would have severe reactions to perfume, hair spray, cleaners, anything chemical. I couldn't even read the Sunday newspaper before an incredible fatigue would hit me and my mind became so foggy. I carried an epi-pen because of anaphaletic reactions. Allergy testing indicated severe 4+ to most everything. After 5 years of being so sick, the media came forth with stories about the problems with breast implants. It turned out I had a rupture. I then learned that implants not only had silicone in them but many other dangerous chemicals. After I had the implants removed I slowly recovered from my over-sensitivity to chemicals. My body was in overdrive from too much exposure. I had giant histocytes attached to the ruptured implant. I was told they were trying to fight the foreign invader. I also have fibromyalgia and atypical autoimmune disease. Listen to your body, something is causing it to go into overdrive.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
(female)

Dianna116 HB User

Be careful when on topamax. I was to work up to 200mg. I was scared to drive my car. Could not add 2+2 and I had worked in an office for years. Six months later and $1,000. I was so spaced out and it did not help me. My doctor then jumped me to 250 mg in 6 days. I started having seizures which caused me to have severe pain in my neck from the jerking. I then spent a month at the chiropractor fixing it.I was so disperate I was willing to try it.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
(female)

Dianna116 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopetofeelwell1 View Post
Hi Dianna! You are not alone! I first noticed how sensitive I was to scents of all kinds about 15 years ago and everything would make me so headachy, choked up and nauseous. This was before they called it multiple chemical sensitivity. I thought I was losing my mind and the first time I noticed it was when I quit smoking back in 1992 for the first time. I really became quite sick as if my body rejected everything in the present tense except for cigarettes. After numerous attempts through the years of quitting (let's hope I have it right this time!), the doctors have had me on Topamax at the present and I hate it. It was good for about 4 days and I am nauseous, have no appetite and feel like I'm in the twilight zone. I can't take a lot of meds anymore anyway and the pdoc put me on 50 mg. I can hardly tolerate 25! My allergist gave me suggestions for a histamine reduced and elimination diet, try to keep my home as allergen free as possible. As far as an intranasal test, I have to say I am ignorant of the factand hope someone else can come to the board and share. My heart goes out to you as I know what it is to suffer. God bless and I pray that you are comfortable--Take care--Hopeto
Hi, Hopetofeelwell1. Read up a little further. I answered you but did not do it right. Read up on Topamax, and be careful.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
(female)

Dianna116 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
I would have severe reactions to perfume, hair spray, cleaners, anything chemical. I couldn't even read the Sunday newspaper before an incredible fatigue would hit me and my mind became so foggy. I carried an epi-pen because of anaphaletic reactions. Allergy testing indicated severe 4+ to most everything. After 5 years of being so sick, the media came forth with stories about the problems with breast implants. It turned out I had a rupture. I then learned that implants not only had silicone in them but many other dangerous chemicals. After I had the implants removed I slowly recovered from my over-sensitivity to chemicals. My body was in overdrive from too much exposure. I had giant histocytes attached to the ruptured implant. I was told they were trying to fight the foreign invader. I also have fibromyalgia and atypical autoimmune disease. Listen to your body, something is causing it to go into overdrive.
Hi Mel 52. My regular doctor told me it was all in my head!! I have tried to get rid of everything around me that would trigger this. I have change my diet. Everywhere I go their is something with an odor. I had all the allergy test done and it is all man made smells that bother me. My neurologist agrees I have chemical sensitivity but he just wants me to take pills which so far is not working. I want to know what is causing this.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #9
(female)

Dianna116 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatnow View Post
I have hte same problem, but mine seems to make me anxiety when i smell most offensive/strong odors like perfume, lotion, laundry products, oh basically eveyrthing you can't avoid really. . However I mainly get trouble breathing because of those odors and a severe stuffy nose. I've read stories where peole claim anti-depressents may acutally help us cause tis supposedly all in our head from some disorder. I've tried a few anti-depresseants and taht didn't seem to work. For all of you with MCS, is yours year round and sometimes your tolerance is acutally better and sometimes worse? For me it seems as though sometimes i can sort of deal with some odors and other times it will drive me nuts. Most times when i bring MCS with a doctor, most won't know what it is or heard of it.
Hi eatnow. My problem is year around, day after day. It stated about 10 yrs ago but not as bad. Now it hits me when smelling anything with a scent. My poor husband can't even shower with me complaining. The pain will last for hrs. These anti depressants are suppose to block some sort of nerve problem that sends the message from the brain when smelling. I wish these doctors could just once feel what I feel.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi all! Sorry it's taken me so long to answer the responses--i have really been feeling crummy but due to the caring of at least two allergists, I've at least had some mental improvement. I found that I am chemically sensitive to all the man-made junk and but I also found internally that I'm having a problem with my gall bladder(sludge) which is probably affecting my liver and my processing of chemicals. I've had more hives than I care to scratch but my allergists gave me some data on a histamine-free diet and learned about the town water I drink loaded with sulfites and chloride that I'm allergic to also. I haven't taken any Topamax--what an awful feeling I had with that stuff. Right now my body is detoxed, even from the anti-histamine that I was taking because I have to have more testing done. God bless my allergists because I have been more comfortable since they gave me credibility. My psychiatrist and therapist can't understand what I'm going through and that's a shame if I have to miss appointments, but if I'm dead from the allergies, I can't pay them a visit either!! First things first--the suffering body has to be improved. God bless you all in your quest for restored health and thanks so much for responding to my posts. Take care--Hopeto--

Old 07-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
Exclamation Re: Sensitivity to all odors and smells.

Hi i am the same exact way I tend to be aware of odors around me, i have to say that what helped me tremendously was CELEXA i have been on it for almost 2 years and this drug is super, I came to the conclusion years ago that i have OCD, belive it or not this smelling problem became so severe, anyway after taking celexa for something else I noticed how i wouldnt be so concerned with odors, I read up on Olfactory Dysfunction and Disorders which is what i think i have I mean i seemed to always be aware of the smells around me, anyway I hope this helps, now i dont worry much at all, I am a changed person I think i will never stop celexa it has been a miracle drug for this problem. no therapist or pschiatrist could help me at all, anyway hope i helped Good luck

Old 08-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #12
(female)

Dianna116 HB User

Thanks for the suggestion on Celexa, I will do some research on it. Topamax affects the brain to much!! I will also do some research on Olfactory Dysfunction. Have been reading on "Leaky Gut Syndrome" the lining in our intestines can become damaged and that area does a major part of chemical detoxing. The right side of my body pains like someone took a ballbat a beat me with it when I smell anything with a scent. I stay at home alot. Can't work either. Every where I go there are smells.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
Exclamation Re: Sensitivity to all odors and smells.

[removed] let me tell you my odor problem caused me to become home bound, I mean the anxiety about odors became crazy...I mean foirst it started with being sensitive to other peoples odor , then I started worrying about my own, and to this day I have had a TON of relief with celexa which i cant say enough about I mean for me it became an obsession compulsive thing and celexa worked great.

[removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-22-2007 at 04:55 AM. Reason: do not discuss off-site contact

Closed Thread