HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Environmental Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/environmental-disorders/)
-   -   Apartment Mold?? Do they pay for testing?? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/environmental-disorders/516848-apartment-mold-do-they-pay-testing.html)

alexiwildchild 07-16-2007 12:45 PM

Apartment Mold?? Do they pay for testing??

hey everyone! i've been living in my apt for about a year and half now. i haven't had any problems until lately. a few months back my toilet flooded my bathroom, which the water flooded into my entire closet floor/carpet (which is a big closet). they took at least 4 days to get it dried out by a carpet cleaner and then cleaned---it smelled absolutely horrible in my whole apt. the smell was gone after they cleaned the carpet though.

about a month ago, my old a/c unit leaked onto my bedroom carpet and they didn't get that fixed/cleaned for almost a week, but it wasn't nearly as big of a spot as the entire closet was. they unclogged the a/c unit with some draino type stuff, and no leak since then.

however, since that week, i've been really tired and felt like crap. i'm wondering if there is any lingering mold in my apt, or if the a/c ducts need to be cleaned---my a/c unit is the oldest in the entire complex and is about from 1970's (late).

do the apartment owners pay for someone to test for mold? i would like to know:) :confused: please anyone help, i would like to have it done...but i know it can be costly. but isn't it my right to request it if there has been water damage,etc? that, or i'm seriously thinking of moving out-which is also costly and i really don't want to have to do unless there is a mold/ allergy problem in here.

thanks anyone!

Bearygood 07-18-2007 05:21 PM

Re: Apartment Mold?? Do they pay for testing??

Hi there! Laws may vary from state to state but in general, it is always the landlord's obligation to maintain and correct unhealthy living conditions. It is NOT your responsibility -- they actually have a responsibility to YOU but it may be difficult to obligate them to test. The two places I'd suggest you start is by calling your local Dept. of Health and if there is a city or state division that governs renters and rights, I'd call them as well. Make sure you have everything documented (dates of occurrences, etc.) and try to put as much in writing as you can. Please keep us posted and update the board so perhaps somone else can be helped by your experience. Mold is not good -- and even if the source has been dealt with, there can be lingering spores that can cause problems if the place is not cleaned correctly. Good luck!

alexiwildchild 07-19-2007 02:11 PM

thank you for the info! i will definitely try to start with that and see what happens. i'll let you know if anything good comes out of it!:D

Bearygood 07-20-2007 06:58 PM

Good luck to you! Glad you're taking action. :)