It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
allergy to colonoscopy prep

Anyone had a colonoscopy & had allergic reaction to the prep. The prep contains propylene glycol which is same as antifreeze. I was told by my allergist not to use it. The dr tells me this prep is the most gentle but I'm concerned about it. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
(female)

Clem52 HB User
Re: allergy to colonoscopy prep

the propylene glycol preps are disgusting. There are many other more palatable preps out there, pills, phospho soda, etc. If you are allergic, insist on something else. Besides, who wants to drink a gallon of that stuff? I had the phospho soda, not great by any means, but two small bottles, about a cup or less each. If your doc won't cooperate it's a sign he's not really into patient comfort, so maybe it's time to find someone else more compassionate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Ask your dr about OsmoPrep. Its a series of 32 pills and are easy to take and really easy on the stomach. I had the OsmoPrep the last time I had a colonoscopy. I had some minor nausea during the second round of pills, but that was it. The urge to go was gentle, rather than the feeling of "pending bum explosions" most preps cause.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

Thanks for your comments. After doing a lot of research on preps it seems they all contain ingredients that are bad. The Phospho Soda sounds like the lesser of the evils. I have so many health problems their side effects all sound like I won't make it thru the prep w/o complications. The dr said I was between a rock & a hard place. I was told I would have to stay in hospital for the prep but that doesn't make me feel any better about it. Thanks again!

Closed Thread