It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2003, 12:10 PM   #1

luke1 HB User
Post Wet Basement/Crawlspace + Health Problems ???

I responded to a post on toxic mold and became curious as to how I might be exposed to it. I have a crawlspace which I seldom enter and I havenít given it much thought until now. The crawlspace is wet or at least damp and has a mildew odor associated with it and there is a sump pump installed. I have no doubt that there is mold and mildew down there, but I never thought it could enter my living areas. I have a oil burner forced hot air system of which the air ducts are installed in the crawlspace and I thought it was a sealed system. Boy was I wrong! Today I placed a high volume heavy duty fan at the entrance to the crawl space. The crawlspace has 5 vents which are always open. I didnít attempt to seal anything off. I turned the fan on and checked the crawlspace vents on the outside and I could feel the air being forced out of the crawlspace so I knew there was enough pressure from the fan. What surprised me was that after a short period I could smell the crawlspace odor in my living area. I checked the hot air vents and I could feel the air being force through it. I thought the air vents were a sealed system, wrong. The fact is that any mold or whatever in the crawlspace was entering my living areas through the hot air vents and doing it throughout the year. I canít say for sure that the mold is making me ill, but there is the possibility and I will take steps to remedy the problem.
Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2003, 03:13 PM   #2

luke1 HB User
Since my last post on this subject I had a mold test on my house. I found that the mold in my house was the same mold found in the air around us and harmless. This was a big relief! If you have any doubts about mold in your house I suggest you have it tested.

Old 09-05-2003, 05:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
That is good that the mold was found to be harmless. it is a good idea to get it tested. Mold can be toxic.

Closed Thread