It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2003, 12:10 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lansdale PA
Posts: 105
luke1 HB User
Post Wet Basement/Crawlspace + Health Problems ???

I responded to a post on toxic mold and became curious as to how I might be exposed to it. I have a crawlspace which I seldom enter and I havenít given it much thought until now. The crawlspace is wet or at least damp and has a mildew odor associated with it and there is a sump pump installed. I have no doubt that there is mold and mildew down there, but I never thought it could enter my living areas. I have a oil burner forced hot air system of which the air ducts are installed in the crawlspace and I thought it was a sealed system. Boy was I wrong! Today I placed a high volume heavy duty fan at the entrance to the crawl space. The crawlspace has 5 vents which are always open. I didnít attempt to seal anything off. I turned the fan on and checked the crawlspace vents on the outside and I could feel the air being forced out of the crawlspace so I knew there was enough pressure from the fan. What surprised me was that after a short period I could smell the crawlspace odor in my living area. I checked the hot air vents and I could feel the air being force through it. I thought the air vents were a sealed system, wrong. The fact is that any mold or whatever in the crawlspace was entering my living areas through the hot air vents and doing it throughout the year. I canít say for sure that the mold is making me ill, but there is the possibility and I will take steps to remedy the problem.
Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 09-04-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lansdale PA
Posts: 105
luke1 HB User
Post

Since my last post on this subject I had a mold test on my house. I found that the mold in my house was the same mold found in the air around us and harmless. This was a big relief! If you have any doubts about mold in your house I suggest you have it tested.

 
Old 09-05-2003, 05:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,660
cattys HB User
Post

That is good that the mold was found to be harmless. it is a good idea to get it tested. Mold can be toxic.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Mold? I have had it in my basement for up to 10 years! 400ex Environmental Disorders 2 03-04-2011 10:11 AM
Basement Membrane Dystrophy and RCE Jelllo Eye & Vision 13 11-03-2009 12:18 PM
unexplainable, unusual health problems: please help wil7 Rare Disorders 4 07-07-2008 02:21 PM
Crystalens problems EYE-KANT-C Eye & Vision 36 12-10-2007 03:47 AM
My 22 y/o son wont come out of the basement! Porter107 Parenting Issues 9 04-26-2007 10:43 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Audrey-B (1), sharewithme (1), hawk1 (1), aswander (1), esker (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1139), MSJayhawk (943), Apollo123 (860), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (774), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!