It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
(female)

adua1972 HB User
carbon monoxide

I need help. I have an oil burner in my basement for our heating system, and a couple of hours ago I opened the basement door to go do laundry and the whole basement smelled like oil. I called my fiance down, and he told me to go turn the heat up and when I did, the heat kicked on and a puff of smoke came out. I worry about carbon monoxide with our kids in the house, so I called the emergency service, and the technician explained to me that I probably need a new transmitter. He said he will be by tomorrow. I expressed my concerns about CO and he said that there would be smoke and soot all over. Is this true. I cracked a window open in my kids rooms because I am paranoid. Do you think we will be ok until he comes and checks it out?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
(female)

likesacookie HB User
Re: carbon monoxide

Has he come out to fix it yet? Do you have a CO detector? That should let you know if there's a problem right off the bat. If it doesn't go off, you're probably going to be fine.
I don't know about the soot and smoke and such. I'm far from mechanically inclined. I did have a CO leak in my car and I never smelled exhaust, fwiw. My initial symptom when that happened was a headache at the base of my neck. Like, I kept rubbing my neck to relieve the pain. Then my vision went black. It happened so suddenly. I think with CO you either have a problem and find out about it quickly, or you don't have a problem. Either way, there's no harm in leaving the windows cracked.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread