It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Benfleet essex ENGLAND
Posts: 26
spoonse HB User
shed mold

Hello to all,i found out that my shed has a mould spore in the air and its due to the fact that it hasn't been damp proofed from the ground properly and its absorbing the moisture from the earth.

I put some samples of timber in a jar and after a week there were green dust clusters all over it.I have no visible signs of mould but i've learnt that if the spores are in the air they are bound to be feeding on my plasterboarding and in my wood shelving etc.. do you think that i should get rid of all the boarding as its bound to be contaminated or can it be washed down?

Thanks Lloyd

 
Old 01-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 78
bjlauder HB User
Re: shed mold

There are products you can get at your typical hardware store. My wife and I call them vapor sponges. Each container has thousands of little beads that absorb water vapor when the container is opened. For close areas w/o electricity, we've had success. Less successful in basements where I'd recommend a good dehumidifier. That said, I'd put on a mask and blow that shed out with a leaf blower and really let it air out before working with the sponge. You also might consider putting it up on a palate or on a bed of crushed stone in the long term.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 01-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Benfleet essex ENGLAND
Posts: 26
spoonse HB User
Re: shed mold

sounds effective and practical to let the air out ,have windows open at the moment but if all the moisture does eventually go will the spores still have their potency and effect while they're dormant on the drywall?

Not sure whether to throw them and start a fresh.

 
Old 01-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: emerald city
Posts: 1,312
rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: shed mold

spoonse,

My understanding is that mold can lie dormant for years and will start growing again in a damp environment. If you are concerned about the health effects of the mold in your shed, then I would either replace the porous stuff like wooden shelving, or make sure that the shed was really aired out and only go in there when the door has been open for a while.

I was going to say that opening the shed only on nice warm sunny days would be best, but I noticed that you live in England, where your allotment of sunshine is probably as dismal as it is here in northern Germany. So, since waiting for sunny days isn't going to allow you to get much gardening done, I'd vote for replacing the shelving.

--Rheanna

 
Old 01-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Benfleet essex ENGLAND
Posts: 26
spoonse HB User
Re: shed mold

Sounds like a good idea but i still need an answer on whether or not to sling all of the plasterboards as it cost me a bit but if it has to go it has to go.

The shelving may well be harbouring spores as well.I think its the airbourne spores that are effecting my ears though so i need to deal with those first i think

 
Old 01-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #6
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Eastlands o
Posts: 98
sharewithme HB User
Re: shed mold

I will share with you what I know. Please be sure and reference this with reliable, unbiased sources as my memory may be fuzzy and I don't realize it. (one of my symptoms with mold allergy) There are over 700 different kinds of mold in the world, 2o of which are rated as toxic because of the mycotoxins they emit when their mold spore lands looking for a place to grow. Mold spore is so minute, it moves about like a gas or vapor. IT can get into anything, literally, that gas or air can. It is common to have it growing and you don't realize it as it always wants to grow where there is poor air flow and a lack of light. By the time you see it, you have a serious problem. If the environement is unsuitable right now, the spores will lie dormant until conditions are right. It loves to hitchhike in all types of textiles, padding, furniture, rugs, etc and feeds on anything made of any type of wood product. Some kinds can survive this dormancy longer than others. This is how mold has been "tansplanted " to places like deserts. It is quite tenacious and is probably the thinbg that would survive a nuclear holocaust!
There are molds to worry about and then there are the everyday kind we call surface molds, like mildew. No matter what type you have, the thing to be concerned about is this, if you have what is called a high mold count, which it sounds like yuou do, then you have conditions ripe for mold growth. Which means where one mold will grow, others are soon to follow. It is common when people mold plate that they find several different kinds growing. This is why mold developed mycotoxins, it is it's own version of chemical warfare! Each kind of mold wants to be dominant, so it emits mycotoxins and whichever kind is more powerful, wins. With mold sensitivity/allergy you are affected by not only the live mold but the dead mold and worst of all, by the mycotoxins, as they are residual in the body of any person who is sensitive/allergic. With repeated exposures these levels increase and not only do you become more sensitive/allergic but you also now have these toxins in your body. You MUST get the toxins out or you will stay what is called "hot" by many allergists. It is imperative that you limit exposure, not increase your sensitivity, because that is what makes you more allergic, something I can tell you firsthand, you shoulkd avoid at all costs. You are especially vulnerable if you live in a place where mold is high in the outdoor environment, like Your focus needs to be to "cool" down by removing as many known allergens as possible, in this case the mold. You also have to detoxify. Sweating is an excellent way to do this. The health benefits are enormous both now and in the future.
Since this is affecting your health, I would err on the side of caution and if possible, have someone else tear it down and begin anew. Making sure this time to build so that moisture is no longer a problem.

 
Old 01-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 78
bjlauder HB User
Re: shed mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonse View Post
Sounds like a good idea but i still need an answer on whether or not to sling all of the plasterboards as it cost me a bit but if it has to go it has to go.

The shelving may well be harbouring spores as well.I think its the airbourne spores that are effecting my ears though so i need to deal with those first i think
You're going to have this problem again... based on my understanding of your climate. With that in mind, I'd focus on mitigation. Get power to the shed and run a dehumidifier. I'm particularly susceptible so I'd run an air purifier for a while, too. I actually have a device that performs both functions and has some UV technology as well. It's cheaper than hanging new walls, and I don't think you'll address your long term concerns by doing that anyhow. Best of both worlds? Rip the walls out, install new plaster and get the dehumidifier going on day 1! The point is, mold spores are everywhere and you can only control them!

 
Old 01-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Benfleet essex ENGLAND
Posts: 26
spoonse HB User
Re: shed mold

hey guys thanks for some top answers,i laid a damp proof barrier over the floor at the weekend and hopefully that has sealed any future damp coming through,i have all the boarding under a sheet in the garden at the moment but it has no signs of mold on right now but i'll throw it all anyhow,my ears weren't too bad in the process as i wore full protection and once the floor has gone hard i will let the place air for a good while.

Do you think my symptoms will ease the more i stay away from the area in question,or when the damp is fully stopped?

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Mold related illness sharewithme Environmental Disorders 20 10-20-2011 09:14 PM
Does my apartment have any symptoms of mold? bignosycat Environmental Disorders 11 02-13-2009 08:59 AM
Mold is making us sick??? karicontreras Environmental Disorders 6 07-18-2008 12:24 AM
Lyme/Mold Combo luckeeluke Lyme Disease 9 06-21-2008 09:26 AM
Mold problems suggi Environmental Disorders 67 12-16-2007 02:58 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



aswander (1), esker (1), Audrey-B (1), sharewithme (1), hawk1 (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1006), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (850), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:22 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!