It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User
Mold related illnesses

With all my mold related illnesses - doc says breast cancer, Crohn's, gastritis, COPD and a host of others could be mold related from the terrible mold problems that we had here in New England and hubby's company wants volunteers to go to the Houston office -- it seems like a drastic move but he doesn't make much money....his whole department was laid off and he had to keep downgrading his resume to find ANY job and maybe we could actually afford a little ranch house which I need desperately with my spine being so bad (10.9% below fracture level).

My question is how is the mold in Houston? Anyone live there and could tell me? I have high levels of mold mycotoxins in my blood and can't have much exposure. The doc said I am at risk for liver and kidney cancer also because I am so toxic with I think ochratoxin from penecillium and aspergillus molds. I am allergic to antifungals and if anyone has any suggestions as to what to take to detox I am open to suggestions.

Thanks much.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
Re: Mold related illnesses

Makes me wish i didn't tackle the mold problem in my basement! It was when i first moved in and didn't have a PC and knew nothing about black mold or anything! so i just cleaned it by hand, probably releasing the spores into the air, it was black in some places, orange in others! I actually work out in the room where the problem was, have since hooked up a dehumidifier for the summer, but still, i must have breathe in a ton of that crap. Makes me wonder if some of the health issues i have now ( anxiety( doubt it) but stuff like rapid heart beat/high BP could be related? then again this clean up took place a few years ago, and i don't have any allergies to mold, so who knows, maybe i will develop more severe problems in the future In some sports the mold even grew back, but there is just so damn much to clean it and get rid of it all! and a clean up isn't covered and it costs almost as much as a house!!! insane if you want to live healthy how much they charge to clean it up!

You say something about mold mycotoxins levels? They show up in your blood tests? So i would know if i was in trouble by now then and if it was actually the black "toxic" mold?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

suggi HB User

Lourage

There are special blood tests that test just for mold mycotoxins but it is hard to find a doc who knows anything about mold. I went to a holistic doc and got the tests but he wanted me to take cholestramyne which thins the bones and I already have osteoporosis OR come in for Vit C/mineral IVs 2x/week for $80 a pop...lol....so I don't know how to detox really. Insurance did not pay for the blood tests as they were sent to a lab that does not take insurance and it was $600. It would have been more if I did not already know what molds I was exposed to. It may be a good idea to do your own swab sampling and send it off to a lab to find out what mold you are dealing with. You can go through Accukits and they use a very good lab. It costs $27.50 for the sample to be read and then they email you the results.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
(female)

sharewithme HB User

Suggi:
There is black mold in Houston. Good news is that overall people are much more aware of the problems with mold in the West as theirs is so toxic. Problem is there are quite a few homes selling at reduced prices with mold problems (in many places this is true). I'm not sure if state law requires disclosure there or not. Be very careful. <removed> As always be sure and have any property tested for mold before buy or rent.
The other problem with the dry hot west in general is something called evaporative water cooling systems (common residential manufacturer = swamp coolers) used widely as alternative to refridgerated air (air condirtioning). Danger in rsidential is leaks and improperly cleaned systems which easily provide environment for transplanted mold spore to grow. Have system checked very carfeully for old or new leaks. In commercial settings it is the 100&#37; use of antifungals in the towers which may make you sick. Can you go there for a preview visit to see if will work for you? You may not be reactive like I was, somnetimes we just never know until we try for ourselves...
Wish you the best with this. Really glad to hear there is a possibility of a change for you to live in a one story structure.
Detox: have you tried dry infared saunas? sweating is always good. Also, have you tried UVB light therapy? can be quite effective. These are generally less money per time and if you do not see benefit within a few weeks can stop without spending a lot of money.
Best wishes for you. I pray that your husband gets a job that really suits him with decent benefits and which will allow you bothn a well suited, affordable and healthy home environment.
Thank you for sharing your story. It is incredibly important that people know the truth about toxic mold for the sensitive/allergic (jury is still out on percent of population which seems unaffected). After what happened to me I am sure I can not tolerate it or will suffer permannent impairment. It has already changed me irrevocably. MCS being just one serious consequence. Thyroid/adrenal/hormonal dysfunction another. Let's pray cancer does not join that roster.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-18-2008 at 04:31 AM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Closed Thread