It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
(male)

djpatd HB User
Acute Pesticide Exposure in 2004 - Long Term effects?

I have been dealing with phantom health issues for over 4 years. In August 2004 while working for a Pest Control company. I had a major pesticide spill occur. A backpack sprayer of termidor (fipronil) spilled all over the back and shoulders of my shirt, literally soaking my shirt. The coworker training me said don't report it, we would get fired. He just said change your shirt. I ended up quitting the job due to chemical sensitivity.

A little time passes and my drive slowly diminishes to nothing and motivation in general. In fact even waking up with dreams were gone. I was noticing my brain was becoming impaired. I started having a numbness to life. I was having weird burning sensations in my head and was always going to the doctor just not feeling right.

The doc did a brain MRI and it was normal. The doctor would pass it off as depression or anxiety and once sent to a neurologist who only gave me one visit and dismissed anything could be related to pesticides.

I also noticed I couldn't use cleaners anymore unless I had very good ventilation like outdoors. I would get brain fog that lasted for hours.

I made calls to various experts. I even did my own research and found this pesticide along with others are hormone disruptors and cause other effect which would explain why I am on hormone replacement therapy.

All I know is something is not right. Not only do I have hormone probolems but a 3cm lesion on my liver, sensitivity to any cleaners where I can get brain fog and other issues.

I found a place in Texas that deals specifically with what I was exposed to from testing to treatment.

If you have battled any of this let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
(female)

PJ59 HB User
Smile Re: Acute Pesticide Exposure in 2004 - Long Term effects?

Howdy, Really hope you have found some help for your chemical sensitivity. I also went thru the endless list of medical problems resulting from lifetime chemical exposures - which surfaced after a serious head injury in 2003.(See previous posts) Finally found almost instant relief after giving up on the allopathic drs & went to see a Naturopathic Physician specializing in detox - biotherapeutic drainage(in 2006). I did get my low body temp back to nearly normal and energy levels near normal.But did have a setback this winter as a prescribed herbal dropped my all ready low BP even lower,causing my temp to drop again. But probably somewhat due to dealing with the extreme cold temps this winter also. After discontinuation of the Olea Europa, my temp has been slowly improving since the beginning of the year. My thyroid panels have always been normal also - checked & rechecked many times......After switching to natural medicine, all has gotten much better & approaching "normality"...I am interested to hear your progress ....
PJ59

Old 03-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
(male)

djpatd HB User
Re: Acute Pesticide Exposure in 2004 - Long Term effects?

About a month ago I started feeling really run down. Even after 8hrs of sleep I would feel tired-chronically tired. I thought that maybe it might be my hormone shots of testosterone.
Well, I have been experiencing cold hands and feet, the inability to tolerate cold as before, dry skin/hair, low body temperature,poor short-term memory,low motivation and ambition,no sex drive and just don’t feel like myself.
Well, I remember reading about the effects the chemical that was spilled on me - thyroid hormone disruption. I think I have been experiencing these symptons for a while but its finally gotten to a place where my body is unable to get the necesary signals in order to cause the thyroid to fire-up.
I found 2 different doctors. One in Tyler Texas at the Quantum Healing Institude and Dr. Rea at The Environmental Health Center - Dallas.
I have heard the benefits of a FIR Sauna and read a book called Detoxify or Die which points to the need to detox these chemicals from my body especially since pesticicdes are lipophillic and store in the fat.
I have an appointment with an endocrinologist next week.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
(female)

PJ59 HB User
Talking Re: Acute Pesticide Exposure in 2004 - Long Term effects?

So many similarities to my own case.......At least you are near medical facilities that deal with environmental illness. I live in a rural isolated area so none of that was available to me & I had to figure it all out myself. The local MD's answer for me was the shrink as I had too many unrelated problems of which she did not know how to deal with. <removed>

Also observe caution when messing around with your hormones at this time. Most of the pesticides are endocrine disrupters & neurotoxic. As time goes on with decreased body temp,your liver's ability to detox is greatly decreased as can't keep up with the increasing toxic burden of what you ingest besides environmental pollutants. (Main reason you are starting to feel run down & only gets worse with time as you add in more drugs to try to help the situation). More important to get your liver functioning more efficiently than adding in hormones to confuse everything at this point.

I discovered the difference in allopathic & natural medicine to be that allopathic medicine is a quick cure for an existing problem while natural medicine goes back to treat the source of the problem. I found it very interesting that the basis of natural medicine involved "re-teaching" the body to behave normally in the process of elimination of toxins thru the urine, skin,defecation,etc. Actually it is so simple that one overlooks all this. Also the ND's use hydrotherapy as a very important part of treatment which can be done at home quite simply & inexpensive. Diet changes also very important in the detox process as many foods can help or hinder the detox process. <removed>

If you decide to undo go this tx, make sure the ND has had at least 5 yrs of experience, preferably more. I got lucky & found a ND that had trained under Dick Thom, ND-who brought drainage to NA. Drainage is a personalized detox program using a certain group of homeopathic remedies tailored to fit the needs of the patient. The beauty of natural medicine is the lack of side effects. Also I never received any hormones as such for my "deficiency symptoms". But I did get homeopathic remedies & extracts that stimulated the sources of the hormones to make them work again without "confusing" by additional hormone replacement. My treatment from my ND entailed a strict protocol of drainage remedies, hydrotherapy, lifestyle changes, supplements, and more. This can all be done along with allopathic treatment if that is still necessary. I seriously recommend that you find a naturopathic physician that specializes in detox & see what they would have to offer to improve your condition. Quite often the first short consult is free so you can check them out without obligation. ND's are actually trained similar to MD's but the way they go about treatment is much more personalized to fit each case. I really hope you find a source of improvement soon as it is so frustrating when one cannot do what one wants to do !!!!
PJ59

Last edited by mod-anon; 03-08-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 03-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Acute Pesticide Exposure in 2004 - Long Term effects?

Hi, have been posting on the thyroid board for 2 years now and now the cancer board....Just stumbled upon this board this evening.

My father had a multitude of cancers......skin cancers such as Melanoma x 6, numerous Squamous Cell and Basal cell carcinomas, bladder cancer and eventually Liver cancer. He had Bowen's disease which can be from Arsenic or pesticide exposure. From what I can find on this illness it takes about 30 to 40 years for the side effects to show themselves. My Father did have a mildy elevated arsenic level.. He passed away last year. I am trying to get his records from the VA hospital .....

I now have Bowen's disease and squamous cell carcinoma. I have been told it is NOT genetic but that I have had an enviromental exposure that started decades ago. So I have lived in another State for the last 13 years than my Father......I did check the city water there where I grew up and it does have an elevated arsenic level..... So we both had an enviormental exposure?

I am being seen at MD Anderson in April and hoping to find more answers. The Dermatologist I have been seeing says I must be checked every 3 months and watched for internal cancers.

I am using natural treatments and looking at mainstream too...... Just thought I would post this here in case anyone was looking for this information.

Oleander

Closed Thread