Originally Posted by sharewithme
Toxic mold is a very serious health issue and the symptoms cannot be successfully treated without removal of the mold.
Circa 1980 I was in the water damage restoration business. I remember enough in spite of the 30 years to confidently say, "you know your stuff." You have given excellent info.
Drying technology was making rapid advancements in the late 70's and 80's. We often were able to dry wall cavities, under flooring and other trapped spaces by injecting dry air through multiple 1/2 inch tubes. We had a couple days to dry everything. We had the technology but often were called too late. The game was over once the mold took root. Everything had to be ripped out down to the studs then cleaned and dried. If I remember correctly the moisture content of wood in PA had to be below 18% before the home could be refurbished. Otherwise the operation would be an exercise in futility. "It's back."
Besides the mold risk, wet wood is soft wood. Termites, carpenter ants and other bugs just so love wet wood. The home becomes bug infested too.
Yes, those with existing conditions are the most vulnerable. Yet many people ignore water damage unless they are swashing around up to and above their ankles.
I ran into the son of an old biz acquaintance. The boy (30 yo now) took over the biz from Pop. He showed me an infrared camera he uses to detect trapped water. I played with the camera very carefully. He paid 15K for it. It is just one piece in an arsenal of instruments his business uses to detect moisture and monitor the dry down. When he leaves a building, it is positively dry.
There is no reason for sick building syndrome in any building or home other than out-of-sight, out-of-mind.