It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Washing Machine from HELL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Today is Wash Day!

I am staying in the back room (my computer room). The Washing Machine from Hell is running, and will run, off and on until about 11-11:30am. If I do OK, I will leave the dreaded machine exposed for the rest of the day. I am still without pain in my neck, shoulder or back. I am not experiencing any of the breathing problems, or malaise that I experienced when the stupid hunk of junk was first delivered. My heart is fairly stable (as stable as it can be with heart failure and permanent AFib). So far so good.
After the day's washing was over, I had to re-tarp the Washing Machine @ 12:15pm. My heart started a labored type of beating, which is one of the warning signs that it is under duress; and my neck started stiffening up. At least there was an improvement. I was able to stay in my home, and I did not suffer breathing problems or the malaise that I suffered from the slightest exposure to that stupid machine.

So....... here I sit with four brand new electrode pads on my left neck, shoulder and back, covering Acupuncture points SI11-16, among other extraneous points. I plan to do a one hour Acupuncture Stimulation, ending 11:20am, to treat the stiffening of my neck, before it gets any worse. I hope that it works as well as it did before.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
After the day's washing was over, I had to re-tarp the Washing Machine @ 12:15pm. My heart started a labored type of beating, which is one of the warning signs that it is under duress; and my neck started stiffening up. At least there was an improvement. I was able to stay in my home, and I did not suffer breathing problems or the malaise that I suffered from the slightest exposure to that stupid machine.
It's now about 80 days later. I stay in a back room of my home, with the windows open, and do not suffer from labored breathing, malaise or a painful neck. I am not reacting as badly as I used to from the washing machine. I still have to keep the windows open, but, perhaps, eventually the washer and I will be able to more normally coexist.

Quote:
So....... here I sit with four brand new electrode pads on my left neck, shoulder and back, covering Acupuncture points SI11-16, among other extraneous points. I plan to do a one hour Acupuncture Stimulation, ending 11:20am, to treat the stiffening of my neck, before it gets any worse. I hope that it works as well as it did before.
The electronic stimulation worked wonders. It's now 80 days later and absolutely NO PAIN or discomfort in my neck.

Right now, the washer has been de-tarped, and my wife is doing a few loads of wash. I've got the windows open. I really thought that this was going to have a bad ending. At first it seemed like an impossible situation. Environmental Illness/Chemical Sensitivity is a real joy, isn't it!?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Machaon,

I'm glad to hear that you are developing a sort of "peace pact" with that evil machine -- you both are finding ways to co-exist without destroying each other.

Thanks for reporting the good news!

--Rheanna

Old 04-29-2009, 05:59 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

When I was younger I could tolerate a lot more than I can now, near age 70. I drank, I smoked, I ate huge servings, snacked constantly without gaining weight, partied into the night, etc.

Now..... the proverbial chickens have come home to roost. I am paying for the excessive indulgences of my youth. Hm!??????? Wish I could do it all again!

I never expected to be able to co-exist with the washer, after experiencing such a nasty reaction to it.

They don't make a rules book for environmental illnesses. It makes buying new clothes, electronics, appliances, furniture very difficult. For instance, of the last two office chairs that I've purchased, one I could sit on immediately without any reaction. The other one, I can't even have in my home, and it's been well over a year since I've purchased it. Hell....... I've got a $1000 plush, leather rocker/swivel-recliner that has now been aging for three years, that I can't keep anywhere in my home! I figured that, after a year or two, it would outgas, or something. Nope! Nadda!

Anyway.......... thanks for your positive feedback. This was indeed an important victory, both over the washer and the pain in my neck and shoulder. I won't question the "rules book" on this one, just accept it for what it is.

Regards......

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-29-2009 at 06:01 AM.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Well, guess what......... I've solved the problem. Sort of.

I have an old, 12' by 16' blue tarp that had been used over a portion of our roof, after damage from a hurricane in 2005. I smelled it and it seemed to have little odor (not that that means a lot). We took the tarp, and carefully worked the tarp over, under and around the almost 200 pound washing machine, sealed most of it with low-odor duct tape, and sealed the front with binder clips.

IT WORKED!!!!!! :
It is now about eight months later. The binder clips are not working out well enough. I can't make the slightest mistake while sealing the tarp. If I leave even the tiniest opening, I'll suffer from breathing problems and awful malaise. I just went through two long sickly days and nights because I had made a slight mistake in sealing the stupid tarp, and wouldn't believe that I had made a mistake sealing the tarp!

So...... back to the drawing board. I have now totally sealed the tarp using duct tape, and I spent a nice peaceful uneventful night. I am still a little drawn after two miserable days, but feeling much better.

I'm going to make three cuts in the top portion of the tarp, which is over the lid and then fold the new flap back so that my wife can open the lid and do the laundry, without my presence in our home. I'm going to duct tape a larger piece of tarp over the flap, so my wife, without my help, can lower the lid and then lower the enlarged flap down on top of the washer, where it should be much easier to seal. She would then open the windows in our place and air it out before I come back in.

I haven't worked out how best to seal the enlarged flap, but it should be a lot easier than having to use numerous binder clips on larger, harder to reach portions of the tarp.

My God! What a stupid, insidious health problem! All of my other health problems, Heart Failure, AFib, Insulin Resistance, High Blood Pressure, Pre-Diabetes II, Asthma, Sinusitis have all improved significantly and dramatically, except for this last, nasty Environmental/Immune System disease. Approaching 70 years, I have a relatively good quality of life, unless I make a mistake and encounter something (trigger) that sets off my Immune or NeuroHormonal systems.

When I was younger and less knowledgeable, if someone had described a health problem, such as I have, I would have thought that the person was mistaken.

I'll keep looking for that magic bullet that will turn off that switch in my body that makes me so sensitive to the tiniest presence of offending irritants. Until then...... the battle over this stupid Washing Machine from HELL continues!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(male)

[QUOTE]
Quote:
... I have now totally sealed the tarp using duct tape, and I spent a nice peaceful uneventful night. I am still a little drawn after two miserable days, but feeling much better.

I'm going to make three cuts in the top portion of the tarp, which is over the lid and then fold the new flap back so that my wife can open the lid and do the laundry, without my presence in our home. I'm going to duct tape a larger piece of tarp over the flap, so my wife, without my help, can lower the lid and then lower the enlarged flap down on top of the washer, where it should be much easier to seal. She would then open the windows in our place and air it out before I come back in.

I haven't worked out how best to seal the enlarged flap, but it should be a lot easier than having to use numerous binder clips on larger, harder to reach portions of the tarp.
It worked. I cut the tarp, and made a flap over the lid to the washing machine. I used two flattened down tarps, somewhat larger than the cover flap, that we use to place on top of the washing machine after the washing is done. It's easy to use. My wife can now do the wash, seal the top, air out our place, all without having to worry about causing me health problems. Problem Solved!

I am now convinced that I do not have Environmental Illness. What I have are allergies and Asthma, period! The synthetic steroids do wonders at keeping Asthmatic and Allergic Rhinitis symptoms under control and somewhat milder. But, unfortunately, the Neuro-Hormonal and Immune Systems still pour out excess chemicals into one's body. It's these extra Hormones and Cytokines that make allergy sufferers, aka: Chemically Sensitive People, so deathly ill.

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 10-22-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(male)

Now that we are allowed pictures, I will be able to show what I did to the Washing Machine.

Here is a picture of the washing machine totally enwrapped in a tarp from top to bottom:

Tarp over Wash Mach2.JPG

If you click on the small picture, or right click and select "a new window or tab", then you can see a full screen picture.

I have since cut a flap in the top so that my wife can open the lid, wash the clothes, and then reseal the flap. We also have to air out the place after doing the wash for several hours, depending upon the outside breeze.

I would love to replace the washing machine with a different model, but there is no guarantee that the new one would not come with the same types of toxic problems.

Think about it though, if I get so deathly ill from exposure to the new plastics, rubbers, microfibers, etc, what about others who are suffering with unexplained immune system problems, such a fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, etc.? I can't be the only one in this world like this, can I?!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 06-20-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I would love to replace the washing machine with a different model, but there is no guarantee that the new one would not come with the same types of toxic problems.
Ho Haaaaaa! After two years of having to schedule our laundry washing days, and having to air out our place for about an hour each time my wife did the laundry, I finally found a solution!

I had the washing machine placed out in the Florida Room, on the opposite wall to the laundry room. I created a hole through the wall and connected the water input hose and the water drain exhaust through the wall. I then made sure that there would be absolutely no chance that the gases from the washing machine would seep through the opening in the wall.

It worked, it worked, it worked, it worked, IT WORKED!!!

She can do the laundry any time she wants. It is such a pleasure not to have to worry about getting deathly ill from a tiny leak in the washing machine outgasing, or of having a bad reaction! What a relief!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Machaon,

I am pleased as punch that you are able to use the machine without it making you ill and inconvenienced! What a relief that must be!

Washing machines have become an important part of our modern lives. I could wash a few light-weight items in the sink if I had to, but I hate the thought of washing my jeans and bed linens by hand. (And I'm sure your wife has similar thoughts. )

So now you have this wonderful modern appliance back again, AND you can relax while it's in use! Yayyyy!!!

Thanks for the good news -- it made my day!

--Rheanna

Old 09-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheanna View Post
Machaon,

I am pleased as punch that you are able to use the machine without it making you ill and inconvenienced! What a relief that must be!
Tis wonderful! Sherry did a couple of loads today without having to plan around my stupid, insidious health problems. It not only makes life easier for her, it takes a load of guilt off me.

Quote:
So now you have this wonderful modern appliance back again, AND you can relax while it's in use! Yayyyy!!!
Relax? Have you ever noticed that, after one problem is solved, another stupid problem raises itself up and into your lives?

All of a sudden, while we were watching TV in the living room of our Mobile Home, we started getting an onslaught of FLIES! Flies!!! Why?

Something must have crawled under our floor and died. We traced the entry points to our air conditioner, sealed the holes with steel wool, and are now waiting to see if we get any more flies buzzing around inside our peaceful home.

So far.............. so good!

Quote:
Thanks for the good news -- it made my day!

--Rheanna
I appreciate your thoughtful and kind comments. Your comments, plus the absence of flies and problems with the Washing Machine, has made my day!

It's all good, isn't it!

Thanks!

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 09-12-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(male)

My health and Heart Failure have improved dramatically over the past year or two. The improvements to my health are due to diet, exercise, avoiding things that are unhealthy and taking the most effective medications.

That said, I have also noticed that I am much less reactive and sensitive to things in my environment that used to make me very ill. For instance, I have taken off the tarp and all coverings to the washing machine without any health problems!? I feel that a longer exposure could cause me to suffer, so I won't push it, but it sure is nice not having to be as careful as I had been over the past several years. I can now come into contact with many things that used to bother me! Tis so nice!

I had experimented with my own at-home SLIT treatments. So...... I am wondering if the SLIT treatments helped in reducing my sensitivities? Hmmmmm!?

⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 09-03-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Closed Thread