It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
(female)

islaneni78 HB User
rental home has mold and I have nowhere to go and the landlord is not helping

rental home has mold and I have nowhere to go and the landlord is not helping

Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User
Re: rental home has mold and I have nowhere to go and the landlord is not helping

Call your town or city inspector and ask him if there is something that can be done about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: rental home has mold and I have nowhere to go and the landlord is not helping

I hope you found a new place to live. I lived in a moldy rental house and it shot my thyroid. I have bad allergies to start with. I ran tests and showed the landlord. He did nothing. Just told me to move out without any penalties at anytime I was ready to leave. I did, but not without developing hypothyroidism because of that. I wish you luck! Don't let it ruin your health. Mold is very dangerous.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
(female)

lenoire HB User

I lived in an apartment that flooded and developed mold with 24 hrs of the flood I started having breathing problems due to me having a history of asthma that was inactive. I only had problems with it when I had a cold or upper respiratory problems. But now I am on loads of brocodilators, nebulizer meds and allergy meds. I take allergen shots that started out as 3x per week. I am now down to 1x per week. I can't work anymore because I am allergic to my environment and this has made me really sad. You don't have to put up with this I called the city of houston and told them about the situation I was living in. They told me to call the county and I did they came out and inspected and found Stachybotrys and Chaetonium which are the deadly black molds that causes Multiple Chemical Sensitivity disorder. That was almost 3yrs ago. I wear a respirator mask everywhere I go,each time I venture outside. People smoke and wear colognes, and buildings and hospitals have to clean up as well as family members so I am confined to my home. This is my safe place, although a lot of the time the walls close in on me and zap my strength. I called MHMRA for assistance with depression and I will work from that. By the way the allergy test found mold in my body. So don't let your home kill you, find another this is rental property. I had no where to go either. After my doctor wrote a letter stating I had to move out to save my life, I broke the lease and moved in with my mom. He sits high and looks low and sees your situation. Grab hold and move out before its too late for you.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Washington state has a Tenants Union, you might be able to get some help there, if not with your present landlord, then with getting a new place. (you may have a civil suit if your landlord did nothing to clean up after the flood)

Here's a renter's rights resources page from the WA attorney general: http://www.atg.wa.gov/ResidentialLT/default.aspx

Good luck, I hope you're breathing easier soon . . .

Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
(female)

lenoire HB User

Since then I have moved out of my mothers home and into my own home. I finally went back to work after being off for more than 7 months. I did have some problems breathing again after being exposed to chlorine bleach on Feb. 18th of this year and then someone else sprayed cologne in the cubical next to me on March 20, 2009. Now I am back on disability and Workers Compensation does not want to pay me for being off due to me having a history of asthma. They feel like it was not an injury even though my asthma was not the issue. I went to the E.R and was told like so many times before that my oxygen levels were normal, yet I was choking to death. I could not get air into my lungs and my throat was closing up on me. I had to sit there and wait for what seemed like several hours to get breathing treatments that day. I thougt I was going to die. I wanted to leave the E.R but was not able to drive anymore after driving myself there from work. Once I got breathing treatments I felt better but still was having trouble breathing. l once I got home I gave myself another breathing treatment. I mean I almost died due to me not recovering from the incident that happened on Feb.18,2009 at work. Now I am unablel to work at all and I find myself actually running from people coming my direction that are smoking or wearing fragrances of any kind. I finally found a lawyer a little over a year after the flooding incident in the apartment. But I was only able to get the insurance company to settle out of court for $7,500.00. I reluctantly took what was left after the lawyer got his 40%, I mean my life has been changed totally from what it use to be, and all the insurance company saw was a chance to get me out of their hair. I am still suffering from the affects of the mold in that apartment today and with no recourse I am so frustrated and depressed behind it. My financial future is very bleek when it comes down to working right now and I needed the money to pay some bills that were out of control. I feel cheated by this company and feel there is nothing more I can do. I have suffered needlessly since September 29, 2006 and even though the shots have dropped down from 3 times a week to once a week. I am still suffering needlessly behing the neglect of the apartment management . They made me feel that I was a joke and yet I have to say that I wish them well. If anyone out there reads this, please if you are living in a moldy environment please get out before its to late. The immunologist is treatment with allergens that desensitize me to mold, pollen, dust mites and ragweed. I might have to take these injections for the next 10 years and not to mention the food allergies that has developed from the exposure is something that i am still struggling to deal with today. Get out while you can!!!

Last edited by lenoire; 06-02-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Closed Thread