It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #1
(female)

Srivi12 HB User
mucous generation

Hi,
I have been going through this for more than three months now. I constantly cough and generate tons of mucous. I was told that I have acid reflux and the doctor asked me to take 1 prilosec daily. I have tried for two months and nothing has changed so far. I generate tons of mucous and wake up every day morning with a burning sensation in my throat. I cough all night off and on and have so much of disturbed sleep. Does any one have similar symptoms and any clues to diagnosis.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful
Shri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
(female)

iris54 HB User
Re: mucous generation

It doesn't appear that your drug is working very well. You should probably see your doctor again to see if the drug should be changed.
Did you have an endoscopy done?

However, in the meantime, you should make some lifestyle changes. You'll find what you should do all over this site, because it's been repeated many times. Here are some suggestions:
Eat lots of green and orange vegetables, cut down on red meat, eat lean meat eg. chicken breast, cut down on fats.
Remove tomatoes, raw onions, lemons from diet, caffeine -which includes coffee, colas and tea, at least temporarily to see if they are causing your problem. Also stop eating hot peppers and very spicy food. You might be able to re-introduce some of these foods again, but remove them initially to see if they causing problems.
Eat smaller meals, but more frequent ones.
Don't eat at least 3 hours before bedtime,
Drink lots of water during the day.
Lose weight if over you are overweight.
Exercise, and try to focus on your stomach to lose inches in that area.
Also stretching exercises might help and deep breathing especially breathing through your stomach.
Elevate the head of your bed if you can by 4 inches.
You should also consider using a neti pot/saline solution. This does seem to help.
In addition, you should consider using digestive enzymes, probiotics in pill form or at least yogurt, and also DGL liquorice.

You can try at least some of the things above and they may bring some relief.
Good luck!

Last edited by iris54; 04-16-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Added more stuff

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
(female)

Srivi12 HB User
Smile Re: mucous generation

Thank you Iris. I am a vegetarian and have avoided spicy foods. I dont drink coffee and tea sometimes and nothing has changed this. I will try to cut down on the tomatoes for a few days and try to loose weight further.

In the mean time, I will try to follow your suggestions, before I can get to the doc. Could you please tell me what are digestive enzymes, probiotics in pill form and also DGL liquorice. Where do I find those? Is it available in regular grocery stores? or is it prescription based. Please let me know. Thanks

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-18-2009 at 12:22 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 04-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
(female)

iris54 HB User
Re: mucous generation

Digestive enzymes help you to digest food. Enymes are naturally found in our bodies but as we age, or for other reasons they become depleted. Actually enzymes are also found in fruits and vegetables. However, in a pill form you might get a variety and a much larger amount. DGL licorice is actually licorice, but has been De-Glycyrrhizinated Licorice, which means they have removed something from ordinary licorice which increases high blood pressure. DGL liquorice helps to move food faster through the system and I believe it coats the oesophagus to helps reduce acid damage to it.

Probiotics - you can try different yogurts that are high in probiotics, but a capsule form has a lot more of the good bacteria.
You can buy digestive enzymes and probiotics at drug stores and health food stores. I have found DGL licorice only at health food stores.
You can try saline rinses for your mucous (from drug stores). It reduces it so you won't be as stuffed up.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-18-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread