It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #16
Inactive
(female)

ShoreBette HB UserShoreBette HB User
Re: Mold is making us sick???

It sounds to me like this is like drawing a deadly lottery...no one knows who will be affected to what extent...I know first hand that mold exposure does take lives, had two relatives touched by this...

I am now dealing with it...in a home that is only 5 yrs old...it does not have to be an old house, a dirty house or a rented house...it can come from a minor leak that over time will continue to build into a major mess...

I have found that not many people share their experience with this problem or don't know they have it, they will keep buying allergy meds...

I believe there are many scam artists out there who do prey on our needs for good health...doctors do not seem to be even marginally educated on this subject...insurance companies deny any payout, and a bad landlord will not fix a problem...

My husband is not dealing with the same issues I am therefore, there will be nothing more than a cleanup of the problem, and if I want to avoid getting sick, I will most likely just have to leave him....he is rarely here anyway...

Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #17
(female)

China1976 HB User

Wow, you are right, well said. I know I feel the same as far as people just being uneducated. I believe, if I am not mistaken, this is as far as we can get for now...and in time, with more research and people standing up for their (our) own rights....well, hopefully tenants will not be "stuck," people won't be so clueless and patients won't feel so hopeless.

I am a single mother of two young boys and they, alone, keep me more than busy. I have little time or energy but at the same time, I feel like I need to look further into this, even if it's not for my benefit... We are still in the home that supposedly has had the mold issue fixed but, but then again who knows, time will tell with that concern. Honestly, I didn't want to come back here, but I had NO OTHER OPTIONS! I do plan to move soon, (originally) not because of the mold but if I wasn't moving, I would ; ) for our sake, due to the mold concerns. My whole experience with no one having satisfying answers (at least not around here) has made me realize this.

No one in my town, as far as I've seen, are mold professionals. I've had to turn to the internet for answers. The landlords, inspectors, the doctors...no one!! Mold issues, in my mind.....well it's still new enough where they don't have all the answers and it seems more common than many may realize. I'm sure in time, more "professionals" will be trained, more thoroughly on mold....in time (unfortunately not soon enough, I'm thinking)
In the meantime, around here, doctors don't test for mold, fire inspectors know mold is serious...but minimal work will fix their concerns and the inspections will pass, even the "city"....well they have their own mold issues and aren't handling them as well, as my own landlord did and I wasn't exactly satisfied either... So, I'm learning that mold is much more common and more of a problem than I realized!!

As for tenant rights and landlord responsibilities, well, I believe in time if people fight for their (our) rights... one day, in the future....maybe there will be more strict rules/laws to help people out in situations like mine.

You are absolutely right about mold growing, anywhere, even in the newest places... Given the right environment, mold can and will thrive!! I live in a very nice and newly remodeled town home. My mold situation came from something very similar; a very tiny leak...and that leak is believed to have come about over 4 yrs ago!!!! Meaning, the water built up over that time and has been growing the mold for who knows how long!!!

I am sorry that your husband isn't more supportive of you! That's sad to hear ; ( if he truly cares, he will hear you out and look for answers to your concerns as well!! I read that three people can live under the same roof and all three have different reactions... Plus, if you say he's rarely there, that could also explain why he isn't reacting to it. Or, it could actually be affecting him but he just doesn't know it, YET! I hope you get some support because I know how it is to feel alone in a situation like that and it doesn't feel good. Don't give up hope and do what you have to do to feel safe again...and hopefully healthier as well.

Take Care and Best Wishes With Everything!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #18
Inactive
(female)

I believe that you were sick from the mold toxins that was in your house....you said that you had the levels checked, but did anyone ever use one of those peices of machinery that they point on the walls to detect mold?

How was the count so high if no one could see it in the walls or floor? Did anyone know where it came from as in a source? water damage? or insulation?

It is a life altering event to have something chase you out of your house for sure....but it is about being healthy, the average person couldn't understand this unless they have actually been exposed to a mold issue....

I would be curious as to how the people living in it now would be doing.....hope you are doing well now.....

Old 10-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #19
Inactive
(female)

Re: Mold related illness

I am not sure if you are still subscribing to this thread, I noticed it from 08....but if you are....can you tell me anything about the effects Penicillum may have on a person...I happen to have this growing in a spot by my back door which has been a slow hidden leak since we bought the house 5 yrs ago....it was thought to have been fixed...I had the mold tested by a company to determine it's origin...and Penicillium was found...

I also had myself tested, I knew I was allergic to it in 08 when my symptoms first started, but it was not a big issue as I had no idea I had it growing in my living area ..high humidity in summers, when it bothered me the most, usually when the AC was turned on....and made it impossible for me to even be in air conditioned air anyplace....

I registered an allergan of 3 on a scale of 1 to 6 with this type of mold....I informed my doctor about what I discovered just last month...and his suggestion was to try the immunotherapy again....maybe now that I know what I am dealing with, it might make more sense to me....none of this did in 09 when I first tried the shots...

I guess I am confused about this type of mold, and what the danger level of it is...I am going away on Monday or Tuesday to stay away from it, until it is repaired and dealt with, as I am not going to be around when it is disturbed...

Mainly, the issues I have dealt with is extremely irritated dry nasal passages where the left side is worse than the right....bronchitis this past June and sinus infection last month.....yes, I was given antibiotics and made things worse really, but finally coming out of it by taking antifungals.....

I guess I have the typical symptoms of those who have been around a hidden mold issue, but, what exactly are the odds that a remediation will be successful? I find it to be one of the most difficult life events I have dealt with, it is akin to a loss....it leaves you bewildered as to how you can be living with a hidden culprit that is slowly taking your health away...the area of damage is not large, but significant enough to cost 5k to fix....and much more than that in health care costs since 08.....

any info if you are still active on this board would be appreciated...

Old 10-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #20
Inactive
(female)

China, I agree that there are no reliable sources to turn to in an event where you are dealing with water damage/mold....when we turn to the internet, we are ripe for scam artists...If you suspect that there is still some residual worry or concern, have you purchased the at home mold test kit? I think mine came from lowes or home depot...it was less than $10, but there was a $40 charge to send it to a lab....I did not send mine in, because I was having an air quality company coming out to test the area to determine the type....but, that little petri dish grew the exact mold the company I paid $500 to tell me existed....the spores were many.....I just watched it grow....and it was pretty scary...

My husband has concerns, but, maybe not the same as mine....and yes, I do believe he has symptoms, but he will not admit to it....it is an odd situation to say the least....I am not newly married, so, it is probably due to our long time marriage and what happens when people are together for a long time...they basically seem to grow apart..and when something happens traumatic, it shows their true character....

That being said, he did do something last weekend, that may have at least helped the situation until we can get a good company out to clean the water damage and mold up...there is a fogger you can rent at home depot or maybe a rental company, but there is a bactricide that home depot sells to allow the home to be fogged in order to cut down the mold spore count....I think it has helped, because my symptoms have gotten better....It will be a while before I see any difference because this has been a long time allergan for me...4 yrs

If you know where the mold was as in the fixed damage, you can also buy the same bactricide in a spray bottle, to spray on the area, and you can have your husband go under the crawl space to spray it...

The best money you might spend if you suspect a problem is to hire a company to test your air quality....call several, don't hire the ones you think promote panic.....they will put their scanner on the walls to detect any hidden problem....I'm like you, I wonder how much you can really clean up a home once mold has invaded the space...

Did you have them do the vacuum of the air? according to this company we have talked to, that is a part of the clean up....to actually suck the air out of the house...with machinery....with a rented home, it may not be worth it...moving is the best option...but if it were a home you were buying, it would be worth the price of this service....

I am also wanting to sell my house, I had it up for sale when I discovered the damage...but, was not pricing it seriously, I had to take it off the market...and of course, would never sell it unless I got a clean bill of health for it....as much as I would like to sell it, mainly to get away from the wooded area...I would not feel good about it unless I knew there were no hidden areas of damage...of course, home inspectors do a good job of detecting any damage in a house....

From now on...I plan on testing the air quality of any space I occupy, this cannot happen to me again, I don't think healthwise I would be able to handle it....I am going away to some rental property we have so that I am not constantly exposed to the spore count, which was reported at 6 times higher than normal....I think the fogger took that count down a lot...but, still, we are still having high humidity in this area, and I know it has to be dealt with....

I do know that it is impossible to be in a home with someone who is not understanding of whatever situation is making you ill, and many times, you have to wonder if that person is not at least in part the problem as well....

Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #21
(female)

China1976 HB User
Smile Re: Mold related illness

Thanks for all the information; this was very helpful to me. I hope you get your problems solved and especially the health concerns. This situation has definitely brought forth awareness of the topic and made me also realize that mold is more common than I knew before. All of this will help me in deciding where to move from here. I'm glad to hear your husband isn't completely in the dark and has done something, at least.

Closed Thread