HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Environmental Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/environmental-disorders/)
-   -   Mold? I have had it in my basement for up to 10 years! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/environmental-disorders/738314-mold-i-have-had-my-basement-up-10-years.html)

400ex 03-03-2010 12:29 PM

Mold? I have had it in my basement for up to 10 years!
 
I have had mold in my basement for up to 10 years due to flood and all. I don't smell it in my room, when I go to my basement it smells very musky and thick. How do I know if the mold is in my room? In my basement there is no sheetrock sperating it from the woodfloor so I would be able to see if the mold is on my floor, which it is not. It seems as if the mold is just around the walls of where the leaks were and haven't moved. It looks like it is black mold.

The reason why I am asking is because for the pass 8 months, I have had hot flashes, random headaches, mild concentration issues, short term memory loss.

This has happened all of a sudden. I am wondering if the mold has had something to do with it.

I just got blood tested and I had a high level of ammonia in my blood.....

But the basement is the foundation of the house and no one else in the house is effected either.


When I am out of my house I also feel these symptoms as well. So it leads me to believe it isn't the mold, but at the same time could it still be it?

teAlexis 03-04-2011 07:26 AM

Re: Mold? I have had it in my basement for up to 10 years!
 
You probably also have mold on your clothes and in the car you still smell it.
Your symptoms sound like what I had when I lived in a home for 2.5 yrs that had mold. I moved out as soon as I could and felt better.

sjb 03-04-2011 10:11 AM

Re: Mold? I have had it in my basement for up to 10 years!
 
Hi mold can cause problems with memory and concentration yes. The ammonia level may be coming from food additives I have noticed some of the foods such as bread have forms of it added to the packages. One can check and likely should check labels to avoid additives, in my opinion.

Leaks and basements can sometimes be sealed. A friend of mine used bleach on everything and opened up windows and doors to air it out and it smelled better after that. I do not happen to think bleach is all that healthy for inhalation however and if used it needs excellent airing out and ventilation during the process. Chlorine is said to be poisonous. I did hear of a story where a doctor told the family to move out of the house and abandon everything including photographs even for the purpose of getting better from sick house syndrome. Have a nice day! :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:39 AM.