It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Book suggestions -- chemicals in the environment

I thought I would start a thread where folks can recommend books about how we are affected by chemicals in the environment.

I just read a new book by Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie: "Slow Death by Rubber Duck".

They select 7 classes of chemicals (from the bazillions that we are surrounded with every day) and discuss why practically everyone on the planet is affected by these chemicals, political efforts to minimize and legally control them, and some practical ways that we as consumers can minimize exposure to them.

--Phthalates (in perfumes as well as lots of other things)
--PFOA (Teflon)
--PCB and PBDE (flame retardants)
--Mercury
--Triclosan (antibacterials)
--2,4-D (pesticides)
--BPA (plastics)

It's an eye-opener.

--Rheanna

Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Book suggestions -- chemicals in the environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheanna View Post
... They select 7 classes of chemicals (from the bazillions that we are surrounded with every day) and discuss why practically everyone on the planet is affected by these chemicals, ...

--Phthalates (in perfumes as well as lots of other things)
--BPA (plastics)

--Rheanna
I've recently purchased the book How Everyday Products Make People Sick: Toxins at Home and in the Workplace, written by Paul D. Blanc from the University of California. He is recognized as one of the leading experts in Occupational and Environmental Medicine.

I've perused through it but haven't had the time to really go through it.

Buts...... You mentioned two of my most difficult health challenges, Phthalates and BPA, especially the forms of these nasty two chemicals when they are put into plastic products.

It took me several years to find a place where I could buy eyeglasses that did not effect my breathing and make me sick as a dog! I went through just about every different eyeglass company, burning through hundreds of dollars, but could not wear the glasses without suffering from difficult or labored breathing.

Anyways...... I thought that I would contribute my book offering to your thread.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 03-05-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread