It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 407
Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User
Muriatic acid and chlorine (help please!)

Hi,

My pool man came a couple of days ago and I guess I just walked outside when he started mixing his chemicals together.'

Anyways as soon as I saw him (the pool man), he looked at me and said "Wow the fumes are really strong from the pool chemicals, huh?" and I replied that i don't smell anything and don't know what he is refferring to.

Not ten seconds went by when all of sudden I was hit with the most intoxicating fumes I had ever felt in my whole life. How I did not notice it the second I walked outside, I'm still not sure.

Anyways the seond I smelt the fumes, I ran for dear life and would say that I was probably exposed to these intense fumes for no more than 20 or 30 seconds. But it was so intense that i'm certain it did something to me.

After it happened I can't say that I felt bad or anything like that. But when i got home some 4 or 5 hours later, I did notice that the smell was gone, but I did feel there was something in the air and I was hit by a small headache.

I called the pool man and asked him what in the world did he use and was it still dangerous. He said he used some Muriatic acid and some chlorine and that the smell and fumes usually linger for a few hours and that the atmosphere should take care of the rest (But he made it sound perfectly normal no big deal, as if he does this all the time).

Now that I think about it, when i first went outside and saw him and he mentioned the fumes, he looked concerned and in a way as if he did something he should not have done. he was covering his face with shirt and how he was able to take the fumes and not run for deal life, I still don't understand as they were that intense.

So even though he said it was all normal and that the fumes uaually go away within a few hours and it gets dissolved into the atmosphere, he did say he would come by right away and put some nuetralizing agent in the water that should take care of the acid and make everything ok. (Which makes me wonder why he did not do that in the first place as I read on line if you use Muriatic acid that after using it you should neutralize it with some kind of agent that will take away its toxicity)

Well today I have to say that I'm not feeling to well. I have a burning sensation in my lungs, and I noticed that when I blew my nose this morning that there was a decent amount of blood in it, and I feel very tired and weak all over, oh and I feel somewhat nasueated.

I did some research on line and I read that mixing Muriatic acid and chlorione causes intense chlorine fumes to occur, such that would be along the lines of the intensity of what I felt a couple of days ago. Needless to say the pool man should not have mixed the chemicals together.

It's hard to find an exact answer on line, but considering my symptoms, does anyone else have some additional input as what is going on with me. I know you would only be guessing and I probably will go see a doctor later today.

But I'm just wondering if I;m in any serious danger after being exposed to the fumes (From the mixed Muriatic Acid and chlorine) for only 20 or 30 seconds.

Again I just don't feel right today. (Its been two days since) and I;m concerned I may have been exposed to something very serious.

Any input would be apprecited and sorry for the long story.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Eagle River
Posts: 1,272
Blog Entries: 68
EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User
Re: Muriatic acid and chlorine (help please!)

If you still have symptoms, I would go to the doctor. Mixing chlorine with any acid produces toxic fumes that can be fatal. I doubt you are in any serious danger now but you should have a doctor rule it out.

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



aswander (1), esker (1), Audrey-B (1), sharewithme (1), hawk1 (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1005), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (850), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:19 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!