Re: i have rented a house, mold and mildew killing me. what can i do
I've been speaking with mold remediators recently about our house, so here's my layman's two cents:
1) Speak with your landlord and find out what he/she is willing to do to help you out. Clean up, install dehumidifiers, etc.
2) While you're waiting, or if the landlord isn't helpful, try washing everything down with BORAX in water. Lots of folks will suggest bleach, thinking that it disinfects; it does, but the mold can *regrow* on bleached surfaces. Use borax water, and after the area is clean, go over it once more with more borax water, not rinsing. My contractors have said that borax is better at preventing the regrowth (although nothing's perfect).
3) Use a dehumidifier in damp areas to prevent the climate from allowing more growth. Fans aren't a great idea, as they blow the spores around. Still, if I had to use a fan or go totally without, I think I'd use the fan and just try to keep that area closed off.
Also, the EPA has a lot of good information on their web site. I found it useful.