It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Posts: 8
mattW93 HB User
Do you think my house may have a major mold problem?

I've been suspicious that there's toxic mold in my house for years. Actually, I KNOW for a fact there's there's at least some kind of mold in my house. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast where it's very humid all the time. The house I live in with my parents is about 60 years old, and falling apart quite frankly. There's visible mold growing in our shower (I can remember it always being there since I was little, I'm 17 now) and you can see mold growing out of our air vents on the ceiling. There's water in our attic i know for sure, because in my bedroom a hole has formed where water drips out, and the hole is just surrounded by black stuff. Our house has a musty smell, and everybody is always sick. Everyone has frequent sinus infections, my mom and dad always have ear infections, and everyone in the house constantly complains of having a headache. My brother has asthma (me and him have been living in this house our whole lives) and my mom has been suffering with an anxiety problem for 2 years now (it came out of no where). I have also now developed a terrible anxiety problem. Which started like 7 months ago. I've also always been really healthy. Just recently for the past year I keep getting infections too. I have an infection in both ears right now, I always have chest pains, always have abdominal pain, and now I have something wrong with my colon I haven't found out yet (which is odd for me, who is 17) For about 2 years now I've been pushing the fact on them that we all are probably being poisoned, and that we need to get out of this house. I believe that our attic is filled with mold and spores are constantly being blown out into our air through the air ducts. My family either is in denial, or they just think I'm a dumbass. But there's visible mold in multiple places in my house. The worst part is, there's nothing I can do about it. I'm worried about my health, and I feel if I got out of here I would feel much better. What can I do? Does it sound like there's toxic mold in my house? How can I convince my parents to do something? And if I convince them to move out do you think our health will be better? Could there be any permanent damage to me from living here my whole life?

Last edited by mattW93; 02-16-2011 at 10:34 PM.

 
The following user gives a hug of support to mattW93:
brian91682 (03-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Posts: 8
mattW93 HB User
Re: Do you think my house may have a major mold problem?

Oh and here are some pictures of the mold in my house attached to this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-02-16_15-38-40_429.jpg (93.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-02-16_15-37-55_813.jpg (87.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-02-16_15-39-33_112.jpg (87.6 KB, 5 views)

 
Old 02-19-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
teAlexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 28
teAlexis HB User
Re: Do you think my house may have a major mold problem?

I lived in a house where the wall to wall carpeting was filled with mold spores. I lived there for 2.5 years and was very sick the whole time.

Do you find when you are away from your home you feel better? If so, you know you're answer. Try to make your BR mold free at least so you have a place to go that's safe.

 
Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Posts: 8
mattW93 HB User
Re: Do you think my house may have a major mold problem?

Yes. There was one time I went to Florida for a week and felt on top of the word the entire time. My headaches have gotten to the point where I have one ALL day. No matter if I'm in my house or not, but they're even worse when I'm inside my house. Sharp, stabbing head pains. Can't even compare them to the average headache. They make me want to scream they hurt so bad sometimes.

 
Old 10-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 94
ShoreBette HB UserShoreBette HB User
Re: Do you think my house may have a major mold problem?

I hope by now you have gotten out of the house...you know, people can be in denial about it because it is too overwhelming for them to deal with, especially when you are feeling fatigued and ill ...

From the looks of the air ducts, it looks like something major is going on, and makes my issue very mild in comparison....I simply have one area by the back door, and it has caused ongoing problems ... for me, getting out of the house for a short time makes no difference, the rhinitis/sinusitis symptoms are kind of set in...and I suspect that your family is suffering with so much more....

Perhaps if money is an issue, there is an agency that can help... for some reason, mold is not an issue that many understand....I know it was off of my radar till I discovered the leaking door and the damage it created over a very short time...but surely there is someone that can help...you are a minor as of this writing, I wonder if that will make a difference...in getting help..

If you are dealing with those health problems, I would suggest getting a hotel room and a job to pay your way.....get a job waiting tables if you have to...move your brother in with you, and go from there...being your age is a gift today, opportunities are out there, don't let a sick house stop you from being the person you were meant to be...

It sounds overwhelming to get out of a home and move to a hotel room...but, if you look back on this 5 yrs from now, you will see it clearly......it's a shame we don't have 20/20 vision to see the circumstances in front of us today...take it from someone who has been your age a long time ago...don't let anything stand in your way of good health and good wealth...you can't have one without the other....

Your parents are in denial big time...or either just too sick to help themselves.....go to home depot and get a little petri dish test kit, let the mold grow in it and then show them...rent a fogger and fog that ***** up.....put bactricide in it from the same store and at least cut down some of the spores....

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Mold related illness sharewithme Environmental Disorders 20 10-20-2011 09:14 PM
Does anyone who has sensitivity to mold spores have teeth that hurt? tiredsoul Environmental Disorders 29 10-08-2011 07:20 AM
Is there a way to eliminate scents or perfumes from house clothes - An MCS Sufferer whiteknight77 Environmental Disorders 4 05-14-2010 05:02 PM
5 Years in house with mold maingirl Environmental Disorders 12 09-14-2009 05:49 PM
Mold Angelica79 Environmental Disorders 6 06-02-2009 02:35 PM

Tags
anxiety, mold, poisoning, sick, sinus



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



aswander (1), esker (1), Audrey-B (1), sharewithme (1), hawk1 (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1006), Apollo123 (906), Titchou (850), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:16 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!