It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Environmental Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ShoreBette HB UserShoreBette HB User
Is Mold Illness a Myth?

I was on the allergy board and realized that not many on there was dealing with what I am...I have dated the symptoms I have to exactly when mold was found from a leaking door, and supposedly cleaned up before a new floor was installed....

What I have noticed from searching online for info is that mold clean up and removal seems to be a high dollar and very sketchy...air sample companies are the same...

There are no doctors who actually treat this supposed illness, unless you get a specialized company you most likely will find on the internet....

This tells me that this whole area is loosely treated as just another allergy by doctors, and the entire subject seems to be skeptical and unspecified...I find the entire situation of finding out you not only are dealing with a moisture problem in your home, but you may be subject to an illness to be a lot like getting into your car and running accidentally into a brick wall...you will suffer the consequences for sure, but may not get any better....

Insurance companies are not covering many substantial cases of damage because of the many scam artists who profit on people's need to be healthy in order to make a living....this is hands down one of the saddest things that will come your way if you are dealing with it....and quite possibly the most devastating...this exposure will do more damage to you and your home the longer it goes undetected from what I have been through...it gets more complicated each day.....

I personally believe that once this problem has caused a few years worth of problems, there is no coming back from it...I have had two relatives to pass away to learn that it most likely came from mold issues....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Is Mold Illness a Myth?

The facts:

-Mold spores aren't good for anybody.

-Some people are severely allergic to mold, and can develop all sorts of sinus and lung issues.

-One particular mold seems to be more dangerous than most others, the so-called "black mold" that is actually dark green. Most homes do not contain toxic black mold.

-There are people who claim to test for and remove mold who are actually scam artists.

-There may be people who claim to suffer from mold illness who are actually hypochondriacs. (But the same can be said of almost any medical condition!)

Practical upshot, many of the WORST stories of mold illness may not be true. But if your house is moldy, fixing the mold situation (really fixing it, not just bleaching the mold you can see!) will probably improve your respiratory health.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ShoreBette HB UserShoreBette HB User
Re: Is Mold Illness a Myth?

In my case, I had no idea that I was dealing with a mold issue.....I was having these sinus issues mainly just on one side since March of 08....it was always worse in the summer when the AC came on....I had the allergy testing etc...tried the shots, but, thought it was strange that I would suddenly have all these symptoms when I was avoiding the weeds, grasses, etc....

It was not until the hurricane came through at the end of Aug...when the AC went out, the humidity caused the former issue of door leakage to come to the forefront again...but this time, a black moldy look came up to the back of the vinyl flooring...

That was when I realized, the issue that servpro was supposed to have dealt with in the earling winter of 08....was back, only much much worse...it was actually in the crawlspace as well....the leak was never really fixed, and servpro didn't clean up the areas well....I knew that when it happened...I watched them make a mess of the cleanup in the bathroom where a tub and shower had leaking issues as well....they told me they were using something just like bleach and water, but the guy that they let do the work was on the job for the first day...he had a black mess smeared from one side of the bathroom to the other...even in the closet carpet....

Had I been aware of any mold allergy at the time, I could have taken measures...but, truly I was just stupid of the entire issue....never had to deal with a mold or leaking of any parts in my house....buying a new home, was fraught with ongoing bad workmanship issues....

So long story, short....all this seasonal type stuffiness, sickness was most likely because since 08, a mold known as penicillium was growing about 5 ft from where I sat and lived 95 percent of my time....maybe 98 percent....it was completely off of my idea list of things that it could be....I thought it could be the carpeting, the drywall, the cat, the dog, the trees and anything else that caused allergans, but mold? I had no idea....

I do believe that a lot of people who just seem to suffer with fatigue and can't figure out what it is with normal lab work and exams needs to at least buy a test kit for mold at a hardware store to determine if there are a large number of mold spores...that at least should be done with all the other allergy testing a dr would have you do...why test for molds and give shots for them, if they have no idea if you are living in a part of your home that has a hidden mold issue...

Once it is found comes another problem of actually finding a competent company to get rid of it.....they want thousands of dollars and you are pretty much at their mercy, you have to have it dealt with or stay sick and have a home that continues to rot with water damage....or you can try to deal with it yourself using low grade chemicals purchased from home depot...and hope that you actually have stopped the damage and mold growth...

I have no doubt that many people who are confused about why they suffer with constant allergy symptoms after making everything spotless and avoiding known allergans, are dealing with some hidden issue that could be in their floor, wall or attic....

I had an aunt who had mold growing in a closet of her rented apartment....she had no idea it was there....until she was very sick...she did pass away with respiratory problems...but until she knew what she was dealing with, she was sleeping with the enemy literally....in was in her bedroom closet.....apparently the leaking was coming from the roof, whether the landlord knew the roof was leaking is unknown, I know her family did recover financially from her former landlord...it must have been proven he knew about the roof leak....or the damage...and didn't have it fixed...

Closed Thread